Paraskevidekatriaphobia

• twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: SanLeon Tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fear of Friday the 13th
---fewer people chose to drive on Friday the 13th, the number of hospital admissions due to accidents was significantly higher than on "normal" Fridays.
---"Friday 13th is unlucky for some. The risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52 percent. Staying at home is recommended."

Paraskevidekatriaphobics — people afflicted with a morbid, irrational fear of Friday the 13th

Quote:
The Most Widespread Superstition

The sixth day of the week and the number 13 both have foreboding reputations said to date from ancient times; their inevitable conjunction from one to three times a year portends more misfortune than some credulous minds can bear. Folklorists say it's probably the most widespread superstition in America (and no doubt in other parts of the world, as well) — some people won't go to work on Friday the 13th; some won't eat in restaurants; many wouldn't think of setting a wedding on the date.

How many people at the turn of the millennium still suffer from this condition? According to Dr. Donald Dossey, a psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of phobias and credited with coining the term "paraskevidekatriaphobia," as many as 21 million do in the United States alone. If that figure is correct, something like eight percent of Americans are still in the grips of an old superstition.

Exactly how old is difficult to say, because tracing the origins of superstitions is an imprecise science, at best. In fact, it's mostly guesswork.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, i've heard of this before.... and I gotta say... it doesn't surprise me. There's a lot of crazy arse people out there.

I personally think it's all hooey.

Ironically, my brother was born on a Friday the 13th
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe, but my secretary at work went out to get lunch, brought it back, drove up to get the mail, put her flashers on, car running, inadvertantly locked the door, with her purse and spare key, lunch, and cigarettes inside. Locksmith arrived a half hour later and unlocked the door in about 30 seconds. *lol -- Needless to say she was having a bad Friday the 13th.
  • twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

that had to suck,my son locked himself in the car 1 time when he was mad at me,luckly i have a slim jim,i dont know if u can buy them anymore.they r a good thing to have when u have kids tho.
  • twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

little more ,
Quote:
Why Friday the 13th Is Unlucky

It is said: If 13 people sit down to dinner together, all will die within the year. The Turks so disliked the number 13 that it was practically expunged from their vocabulary (Brewer, 1894). Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue.Many buildings don't have a 13th floor. If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck (Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names). There are 13 witches in a coven.

Though no one can say for sure when and why human beings first associated the number 13 with misfortune, the belief is assumed to be quite old and there are any number of theories purporting to trace its origins to antiquity and beyond.

It has been proposed, for example, that fears surrounding the number 13 are as ancient as the act of counting. Primitive man had only his 10 fingers and two feet to represent units, so he could not count higher than 12. What lay beyond that — 13 — was an impenetrable mystery, hence an object of superstition.

Which has a lovely, didactic ring to it, but one is left wondering: did primitive man not have toes?

Despite whatever terrors the numerical unknown held for their prehistoric forebears, ancient civilizations weren't unanimous in their dread of 13. The Chinese regarded the number as lucky, historians say, as did the Egyptians in the time of the pharaohs.

To the ancient Egyptians, life was a quest for spiritual ascension which unfolded in stages — 12 in this life and a 13th beyond, thought to be the eternal afterlife. The number 13 therefore symbolized death — not in terms of dust and decay, but as a glorious and desirable transformation. Though Egyptian civilization perished, the death-symbolism they conferred on the number 13 survived, only to be corrupted by later cultures who associated it with a fear of death instead of a reverence for the afterlife.

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

twiztit_momma wrote:
Quote:
Which has a lovely, didactic ring to it, but one is left wondering: did primitive man not have toes?

Toes, hell!!! Weren't the males ever naked?

hahahaha
  • twiztit_momma
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmfao ok i get what ur sayn now omg hahahahaha yeah that would be 13 ur rite lmao how funny.Image
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

There were many streets in the UK when I was growing up that didn't have a house #13. Our house was number 12, but over the street, the houses jumped right from 11 to 15 with no 13 in between.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
There were many streets in the UK when I was growing up that didn't have a house #13. Our house was number 12, but over the street, the houses jumped right from 11 to 15 with no 13 in between.

heh the poor guy in house 15 knows what house he's REALLY in
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

i lived in a creepy house numbered 13 i had a shockin time there and got robbed and also an intruder while i was home. i moved out pretty soon eh
  • technikerstr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • technikerstr
  • Loc: Illinois

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats all really creepy. I don't know whether to believe or not, its just creepy.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think mostly its just coincidence :D
  • technikerstr
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • technikerstr
  • Loc: Illinois

Post 3+ Months Ago