Payment Question

• mut101
  • mut101

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been updating a website for a guy, and i was wanting to know what i should charge him for my services. i have about 50 hours worth of time into it and about 20 more with all the additions he has made. Anyone have any good sujestions?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My generic hourly is $65 U.S. Discount or whatever from there. (I'm cheep -- I think the current average is higher -- pobably closer to $70 or $80)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends what I'm doing, and how desperate for money I am, heh, but yeah I'm about the same as ATNO $65/hr or so.
  • mut101
  • mut101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya i think he would drop dead with that rate, this is the first site that i took on from him and the only one i have ever taken on for money so i don't know what he would say if i hit him with a bill like that even at 20 x 70 = that is 1400 .....ya i think he would drop dead even at that rate.
thanks for your input i have entered over 150 pictures of cows with there pedigrees, names, horn sizes, birth dates. I rewrote his existing javascript slide show with new arrays for comments and dates pictures was taken and listed them in order from youngest to oldest. I really dont know if he is going to except 1400 on the updating price. Its getting to the point i could have made him a php or coldfushion site for around 4 grand and he could have entered all that info himself, but he did not want a new site, just to update what he had.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My answer is anywhere between $25/hour and $140/hour. Depending on your skill level, the size of the site, the technology of the site, etc.

You should ALWAYS agree to fees before you do any work. The only exception to that is initial look and feel mock-ups.

For continuing updates/maintenance, I suggest you offer you're client either a pay-as-you-play hourly rate, or a block of time per month at a lower hourly rate, where he pays every month regardless of wether he uses you, or not.

To develop a table of your rates, you need to decide how much you need to make in a year/month/week/hour.

Picture input and data entry would be one of you're lowest rates, but the rework on the JS would be on the upper side of the middle rates, I would think. If it were me, I'd look for a way to sub out the picture/data entry work.

:)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only make sites for myself...

and for clans i make on games.

I dont have the skill to make websites for clients yet :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

dM summed things up perfectly. A good plan to work by.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

$5 to $499/h
but i have not mde any so far lol i suck
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd charge no less then fifteen, the real question is what is your time worth?
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

my time is not worth a thing well at lest not till i get out of school
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'd be amazed how much an hour a day out of your time while you are still in school is really worth
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

it cant be that much
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I charged more then 15 for my job. And I don't even work on it an hour every night, but when I do it takes a lot from your night.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can be cheap but dont cut your nose off dispite your face if you get what i mean. we all presume sometimes everyone is broke like us but ITS NOT always TRUE! I'm still learning to be tougher in my business and not rip myself off. your time IS WORTH money i wouldnt go any lower than $15 NO WAY.
  • mut101
  • mut101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank You for all your replies it has helped me with my answer, and to all that have this same question.
thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts