PHP Question

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there PHP for... let's say... Chineese? Something like...
PHP Code: [ Select ]
<?php
$代碼 = 突出_字符串($代碼);
?>
  1. <?php
  2. $代碼 = 突出_字符串($代碼);
  3. ?>

( *lol: google translator)
Or do they have to use english characters to be able to use PHP? Or do they use a whole new chineese programming language or something?

Just that I find it funny when people post here barely speaking english but are fluent with PHP :lol:
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know of anyone that barley speaks english and is a regular member of the boards. PHP like many other programing languages is english based. I do not know of any programming language that isn't.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I don't know of one either ... They may have their own in-house programming languages that looks like that, but I highly doubt it.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
From php.net:

For our purposes here, a letter is a-z, A-Z, and the ASCII characters from 127 through 255 (0x7f-0xff).

So that means no, you can't use Chinese characters in your code.

Also, see http://www.linux.com/articles/60386 - it says that PHP 6 will include Unicode support, so you'll be able to use foreign characters, but I'm not sure about variables and function names.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: I understand... so how do they program in those places? Chineese people either learn english or hire some one who does and know PHP or some programming language?

Just wondering... lol
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you actually need to "know" English - they'll still be able to name their variables using A-Z, just that it might not make any sense to us.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe they just memorize the whole thing?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
I don't think you actually need to "know" English - they'll still be able to name their variables using A-Z, just that it might not make any sense to us.

I know... what I mean are the function names like highlight_string();...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, take this page as an example and view the source code.

http://www.sina.com.cn/

All the markup, css, javascript etc, is exactly as you and I would do it in English. Only the content is Chinese. Personally I don't think a person could do it without knowing English. Memorizing all that would be highly tedious.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's kind like the way that some people try speaking to others of a different language and think that if they speak louder and slower, the other person will understand what they're saying.

If you show someone who speaks a different language some PHP that they initially don't understand, just convert it to all caps and add some extra whitespace and presto - you're code is international.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
It's kind like the way that some people try speaking to others of a different language and think that if they speak louder and slower, the other person will understand what they're saying.

If you show someone who speaks a different language some PHP that they initially don't understand, just convert it to all caps and add some extra whitespace and presto - you're code is international.

:lol: T H A T W A S G R E A T ! ! !
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what's interesting? In China, they have to use the Western alphabet to send text messages. Since they have thousands of different characters, they actually have to spell out the English pronunciation of the word, look at a list of all the characters pronounced that way, and choose the right one.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts