•  
    vBulletin

phpBB or vBulletin

• gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking about doing away with my phpBB and changing to vBulletin. Have any of you used vBulletin? Anyone have any pros or cons on either side. The only thing that sucks about vBulletin is it costs $160 for purchase. But sometimes it's just worth it to dish out the money. Any comments?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Used vBulletin, love the admin end, hate the user end, and I sometimes worry that the MySQL based templating system could fall over under a heavy load (vs. phpBB's file-based templating) - although it's never happened yet.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you think it's too complicated for most users? I thought some of vBulletin's features were quite advanced in comparrison to phpBB. I'll always be a fan of phpBB. Their code rocks. But my version when to **** about 4 months ago and I haven't had the time to fix it. So, I'm either going to dump all of the messages, reinstall it, and upload the old messages or just start from scratch with vBulletin. If vBulletin has more to offer the average user, I'd rather pay the money. I don't think $160 is too much to spend on a quality product. Even if I'm not making any money off my site at the moment.

Another question: which of the two are easier to customize from the admin side? I never really went into too much detail on phpBB, but I remember it being a pain in the butt just trying to figure out how to change the logo.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about invision.. invision is better then both, more customizable, more choices, and stabler(less buggy).

Consider it! and it has some sexy skins! :D
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to look it up. Thanks.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like phpbb just fine, and mostly because it's FREE! :lol:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

vbulletin....but invision because at the moment is does the same as vbulletin, but free :)
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't you have to get a license for invision to do any thing cool with it?

Anyways, I like phpbb, because most of the forums I go to use it, I like the look, and it's pretty simple, the admin end is pretty simple, but it's still custimizable with mods and what not. I'm an admin at an invision board and the admin end is a little overwhelming since there is so many bells and whistles.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

you do but a lot of webhosts have a license to use it accross the whole server

Another nice one that I used once is punBB
http://www.punbb.org/

Later this year, I am going to write my own forum software if I have the time.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd probably go with vBulletin over Invision... I don't know about being able to do more than vBulletin, I think a lot say that because they haven't had access to the customers-only sections of the vBulletin forum and seen all the hacks & modifications people have written :)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, compare that to http://phpbbhacks.com/ - that site is the primary reason I use phpBB most of the time.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, there's a lot of phpBB hacks, but sifting through them is a pain, and half of them want you to search for lines in code that were changed 3 versions ago and don't exist any more, so it can take a bit of work to get them working right.

But, there are also MANY MANY MANY hacks for vBulletin, and addon scripts that can utilize the vBulletin userbase (PhotoPost, etc. - although I do believe PhotoPost can also utilize a phpBB userbase & registration system too).
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

axe, point taken about the phpbb hacks.

I have suggested invision before, and I'm suggesting it again now. I just discovered that you can get it for free if you do enough hunting around on the site.

I started writing my own forum software today. Anyone got any feature suggestions?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

User registration and the ability to post messages ;)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens---

You should have a rating system so users can rate each post. There could just be a dialog near tha avatar on each post!
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

here is my current planned feature list

Forum
user registration
message boards
multiple boards in multiple categories, and boards can have sub-boards, like in vbulletin (i realy hate that phpbb doesn't have that feature)
private message system
calendar
announcement system
easy to integrate other apps with userbase
easy migration from phpbb
support for different rdbms (mysql, postgresql, firebirdsql) and sqlite, and flat-files. (open architecture to make adding more easy)
attachment system
signature
ability for users to ignore certain users
report to moderator link that sends PM as well as email
auto-lock a topic that hasn't had any posts in, say 180 days (will be customizable)
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

The "ignore" feature on the yahoo forums is top-notch. I'll be adding that to a message board I built. I get a lot of flamers, so between "ignore" and mandatory registration, I should be able to put a stop to a lot of the negativity. I recommend "ignore". Either that or an active trigger finger on the delete button. :)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, an ignore feature will be included. I've edited my feature list
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

*sigh* I've contributed! :) Good luck on your project. It's going to be a BIG one.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should have a report to mod type thing on threads/posts, so if a user sees something that shouldn't be there and the mod hasn't seen it yet, the user could click the link and any active mods would be PMed about it. But have it so something can only be reported once.
I know other boards have this type of feature, but the ones I have seen will e-mail the mod, and not sure about everybody, but I don't check my e-mail every few minutes. And since it would PM a mod that is online, it can get fixed easier.

this would be useful for boards with a lot of topics/posts, where mods might not read every single post, and may miss some.

I have had this idea for a while, and was thinking about eventually writting a plug in for phpbb2 to do it or something, but will be a while since I am no good at php yet.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good idea tom, that'll make it in there. I've added another feature to the list as well, and that is to auto-lock topics that have not had a post in, for example, 180 days.

The idea of this is to stop people from bringing up old topics that no-one wanted to hear about any more.
  • Market Stir
  • Market Stir

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been looking for a message board that can also be configured easily to work with a prebuilt login system. I cant find any out there or i just havent found any yet that can do this. I have built a nice little login system that just takes username password and email. I dont want to bother people with lots of mumbo jumbo. All i want the board to do is be able to read from sessions the username if logged in and then allow them to post using that username. If you know what i mean.
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpBB is under GPL license - if you develop some amazing script for it, you cant sell it.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can sell it, you just can't use ANY of the phpBB code. Would be a bit awkward I admit, but could happen. Plus, with the size of the phpBB community, who is going to pay for stuff that's going to be copied and GPL'd?

btw, how's the project going rj?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyefade is absolutely correct. Read section 2 of the GNU General Public License:

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Specifically this:

Quote:
If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works.
  • Butwut
  • Born
  • Born
  • Butwut

Post 3+ Months Ago

i will recommend you to use phpBB 3 .... coz its the best free bulletin board software on the internet....
This new version is now more secure and reliable.
Demo : free forum
  • LightningRider
  • LightningRider

Post 3+ Months Ago

As much as I love phpBB, I'm voting vBulletin if you have the money. I've used it a lot and had access to its ModCP and it was very easy to use. If you don't have the money, phpBB should be sufficient. :)
  • firefox2442
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • firefox2442

Post 3+ Months Ago

vbulletin is better for sure
Moderator Remark: Excessive punctuation/emoticons removed

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts