playing music and copyrights

• iochinome
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • iochinome

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys, so what i want to do is to play music on my website, but i am not so sure if just uploading an album and playing it is entirely legal, especially if all you have to do to get to it is type in the url. can i do this? what about having users upload their favorite songs and having them be played? thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you can play it, you just can't offer it for download.
  • iochinome
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • iochinome

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh cool. is there a way to download a file by navigating to its filepath on my website, or would i have to set something up for it to be illegal? thanks
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty sure that providing a file is online and available through the typical upload to your FTP you'd be able to download it direct. In which case, it's not legal.

If i'm completely honest, i don't think you should go ahead and do this. If it's not important then i don't suppose it's worth the hassle.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot to mention something when I answered the post. I listen to a lot of music online and if I go to a web site that plays music, I leave it right away because it interferes with my music. If you are selling or promoting something on your site, you could lose sales.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Don2007 on this one. I listen to music all of the time, especially when surfing the net.

I hate sites that play music automatically when you visit them as it interferes with what I'm listening to.

As far as having the song play on your site, I doubt if it's legal to just have any song that you own play on a website without having precautions preventing people from downloading it. You could always ask the artist for permission and tell them that it could promote them at the same time.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to pay Royalties to do what you are suggesting, i.e. stream internet radio (in so many words).

Read this article. It is enlightening.

http://pobox522rlyeh.newsvine.com/_news ... rnet-radio

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts