poetry.com competition thing..

• psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Kristoffer, your poem Toast.
is currently ranked as a finalist and you only need 20 votes to be eligible to win!"--poetry. com

yeah, it is very cool to me :)

I'm just wanting to get as many votes as possible so i can see what happens... I'd appreciate if you guys at Ozzu helped me out a bit?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't find where to vote. Got a link?
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but here goes anyway - if you were not already aware, Poetry.com is a massive scam. Check out this article: http://www.eliteskills.com/writing_scams/poetry.com.scam.php

I can vouch it, because a friend of mine and I were selected as a finalist (I say "a finalist" because, using my first and his last name, we entered a poem we wrote together) back when we were about 5 and 6 years old, respectively, with a poem that was not only poorly written, and full of typos, spelling errors, and grammatical mistakes, but didn't even make a lick of sense (well, it did to us, but we were little kids).

We received a nice little printed finalist's certificate in the mail, along with numerous messages about how we needed to pay them: a) to have the poem published in their book, b) to to have our comments on the poem published in their book, c) to buy the book itself, and possibly future books by them, and d) to buy our trophy (no joke - they wanted us to pay for our own trophy. It's mentioned in the article I linked to as a "silver cup.")

Again - sorry to be Jonny Rain-cloud, but if I didn't, someone else was sure to.
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

OY how deliciously awkward and unexpected. it did seem fishy- the fact i got a ton of spam after i gave them my email... but i figured otherwise bc this same poem was published in my school poetry magazine. live and learn. thanks btw
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

My sister was hit with a similar off-line scam, I believes it's known in the trade as "vanity publishing". Whatever you send they'll tell you its great and will arrange to get it published for £X.XX. My sisters book was published and it sold about 200 copies. Suffice to say she lost money.

She never listens :(

You're not the first and definitely won't be the last. At least you haven't given them any cash.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did the same thing with poetry.com about 10 years ago, I didn't give them any money though. You are definitely not alone. poetry.com has been scamming people for a very long time.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably just as surprized as you pseudofy. If I remember right you're pretty creative.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same experience as grinch. Total scam.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, the fact that they are scammers doesn't mean that your poem is not good.

But yes, I've submitted once to them as well. Same story. I suppose what made me even consider that it could be real was the fact that their name is 'poetry.com' and that they come up first in a lot of poetry-related google searches... Anyhow I suppose they're not doing anything illegal per se - they say they will publish your work in a book and they do...... true that you have to pay for it, but hey I guess some people might think it's worth the money to have your name in a book.... I suppose the scam bit is where they tell you you've won the competition, when in fact everybody wins.

I remember feeling very stupid when I realised it was fake. But as you say - live and learn...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts