Politics In Forums

  • templastorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • templastorm
  • Posts: 173
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

do you guys think that politics in forums can get too messy?i have started to try it, the board on my forum is currently locked but alot of people are anxious to start posting, on a general community things could possibly get bad...


anyone have experience with this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Kairisika
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 95
  • Loc: Calgary, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

depends on the forum, depends on the people, no one answer. Personally I am all about the politics and other such touchy subjects. Some of the people I like most are directly opposite in opinion, but because we don't take it personally. we can have a friendly-yet-heated debate. Sometimes on a board you can do that. If people are mature, can take a joke sometimes, and do not consider it the be all and end all of their existence, there's no reason it can't go well (although if I see ONE more war in Iraq thread anywhere I think I will explode). If your board tends to be full of young and immature people, they tend to have fits over nothing (because HEAVEN FORBID someone challenged their little uninformed opinion) and it's really not worth the try.

But if you want to try it, go ahead - you're bound to determine within a thread or two whether it will be worth it or not on any particular forum.
  • templastorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • templastorm
  • Posts: 173
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

ic... there are some youngsters in my forums, around the age of 15 since its for a gaming clan so i will make sure that they understand what needs to be done.. if they cant handle it, it will either go private or be taken down...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3422
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

well considering that this forum in general has people from all over the world its hard to, and sometime it starts fights and gets iratating.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have a politics section its best to have a seperate lot of rules for it.
As long as people actualy debate politics and not just use it as a grandstand to preach thier views it should be a good thing.
Politics effects us all so discussions about it should be encouraged.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 468

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a political forum, and I have found that some people would rather hurl nasty insults at each other than debate politics. In general, it's harder to have debates through text based forums because your particular emotions can not always be portrayed through an emoticon. Therefore, if you say something as a lighthearted joke for instance, the other side may become violently offended. Despite that, as long as you have your forum rules layed out clearly, and you enforce them 100% of the time, you can actually have a good time debating.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

3 things you don't discuss at a bar....sex, religion and politics. What makes a forum any different?
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 468

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, for starters, you don't go into a forum expecting everyone to be a drunk, desperate, single, middle-aged male. 8)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dubya wrote:
well, for starters, you don't go into a forum expecting everyone to be a drunk, desperate, single, middle-aged male. 8)

Are you sure?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3422
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

drunk, desperate, single, middle-aged male

He desperate, single,lower than middle-aged male,

we hope hes not drunk though...

im guessing 1/5 of this forum fits the desperate, single,lower than middle-aged male,(meaning teens)
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 554

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
3 things you don't discuss at a bar....sex, religion and politics. What makes a forum any different?


I agree.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 468

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
drunk, desperate, single, middle-aged male

He desperate, single,lower than middle-aged male,

we hope hes not drunk though...

im guessing 1/5 of this forum fits the desperate, single,lower than middle-aged male,(meaning teens)

If I understood what you were saying, then I could say whether I agree or disagree.
  • Kairisika
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 95
  • Loc: Calgary, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

at a forum, when you offend people they only throw virtual punches and glasses.

And no sex talk at a bar? Is this an amish bar or something?
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 542
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

haha, amish bar. Anyways, I find that most people (adults or teens) aren't mature enough to talk about politics without too much of an argument breaking out where instead of debating politics, people just start bashing each other which is fairly pointless (although entertaining.)
  • luchtzak
  • Student
  • Student
  • luchtzak
  • Posts: 74

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://forum.politics.be/ Belgian's best politics-forum with almost 1.000.000 messages posted! :shock:
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1098

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sex , religion and politics are my three favorite Get-Drunk-And-Talk-About topics, actually. Not so much sex I guess, since drunks will tend to divulge a little more information than I want, but religion and politics are great topics I think.

Of course, as most veteran probably Ozzuites know, I'm quite opinionated in both areas, so perhaps I'm biased a bit =]

.c
  • mzlizbit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mzlizbit
  • Posts: 169

Post 3+ Months Ago

templastorm wrote:
anyone have experience with this?


eh, it's a fun concept, but politics is hard to debate over . i had a debate with xxpornstarxx a couple of months ago over Bush...and well...most of you know the outcome of that. blech

but i think as long as people keep the slander to a minimum [idealistically it should be null], it shouldn't be a problem. <-- that is perhaps easier said than done
  • Kairisika
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 95
  • Loc: Calgary, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I understand the religion and politics taboo, but I was under the impression that half of all bartalk IS sextalk.... or closely related at least.

The thing with politics is that some topics are good, and some are just stupid. A bush debate is just stupid. No-one ever changes their mind, half the arguements on either side are propaganda, and it ALWAYS ends in slander. You want to discuss the lack of world response in Somalia and Rwanda, and possible causes and cures, as long as you leave individuals out of it you've got a good debate going.
  • mzlizbit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mzlizbit
  • Posts: 169

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm...i wouldn't call a bush debate stupid. as long as you don't go around calling other people "stoopid face" or "sheep" then it's an interesting topic. i believe carnix, cae, and everyone else continued the debate after pornstar left and i remember it going reasonably well.

when talking about politics, i think it's important to detach yourself from extreme personal bias, step back, and look at the matter objectively. some people tend to defend bush as if he were their mother, and others tend to attack him as if he were Lucifer. that is a recipe for disaster.

a bush debate is no different than a debate on clinton's morals and whether his personal life should correlate with his career in that we are simply questioning power. or you could have a debate on the end of carter's presidency and the fact that he was bankrupt when he left the white house, perhaps we, as a country, should have supported him with some aid or not. then there is always the infamous nixon scandal. because the great thing about a democracy is the fact that we can question authority [and who doesn't] without being oppressed and severely reprimanded. otherwise, we would be living in a whole different kind of state, no?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason people dont like bush debates is because he is so obviously a moron anybody defending him dosnt have much to work with and are destined to lose the debate.

But apart from that if debates can be carried out maturely and without getting excited they can be fun and interesting.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1098

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think any debate is stupid. Whether it's productive in the end is another story. Of course, productivity can me measured in more than one way. You can say a debate is productive if one side "wins," which is generally a subjective call based on which side you support (or were arguing). I prefer to measure the productivity of a debate in terms of whether either side and/or the viewers were able to take something away from the time that they didn't have in the beginning, aka, a clearer understanding, knowledge they didn't have, even a renewed and stronger sense of purpose for their side is productive.

The debate is the heart and soul of America. It how the country was founded, and its how the country progresses. When you have governements telling media to watch what they say, or trying to stop debates and put down their opponets with character assassination... that's not the American way. Voicing your opinion, standing up for what you believe in... that's what America is SUPPOSED to stand for... and what it did stand for before November 2000.

.c
  • Kairisika
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 95
  • Loc: Calgary, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
The reason people dont like bush debates is because he is so obviously a moron anybody defending him dosnt have much to work with and are destined to lose the debate.


watch it.

I call a debate stupid when it is the same things over and over again and nothing ever changes and no one ever moves. And yes, I agree about the need to remove yourself and stuff. Personally I have found that some issues people are just (by and large) completely unable to do that, rendering the debate futile.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 468

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
The reason people dont like bush debates is because he is so obviously a moron anybody defending him dosnt have much to work with and are destined to lose the debate.

But apart from that if debates can be carried out maturely and without getting excited they can be fun and interesting.

One thing I need you to clear up. Are you calling me a moron? :P
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 734

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
i believe carnix, cae, and everyone else continued the debate after pornstar left and i remember it going reasonably well.

I think the only good thing that came of that debate was on November second when Carnix and I got together and urged everyone to vote... I think we both came out of that debate more sure of our beliefs then when we went in (that may not be a bad thing though :P), it was a fun debate though, and as Carnix said someplace: 'The ideology is less important than the action. People didn't die for Republicans or Democrats, they died for Americans.'

Quote:
The reason people dont like bush debates is because he is so obviously a moron anybody defending him dosnt have much to work with and are destined to lose the debate.

But apart from that if debates can be carried out maturely and without getting excited they can be fun and interesting.

I think you just contradicted yourself there! :D But Im not going here...

Quote:
The debate is the heart and soul of America. It how the country was founded, and its how the country progresses. When you have governements telling media to watch what they say, or trying to stop debates and put down their opponets with character assassination... that's not the American way. Voicing your opinion, standing up for what you believe in...

Amen.

Quote:
that's what America is SUPPOSED to stand for... and what it did stand for before November 2000.

I must respectfully disagree with that, the very fact that there was so much controversy over who was to be the next president is proof that debate is still at the very core of American society. Even if you hate the current president, you will get another chance to replace him in four years.

But just a final thought, the only way there can ever be a resonable debate about politics, on forums, or anyplace else is if people respect the beliefs and opinions of others, and even though the debate may have gotten heated at times, I think that we pulled it off rather well.
  • Dubya
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 468

Post 3+ Months Ago

All's I can say to Cae is, AMEN! And Caemen! I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1098

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. We'll probably never agree on the details, and honestly, with all due respect, I really don't care (and you probably don't either). That we ever agree on the details is wholly irrelevant anyway.

We don't hate each other, we just disagree, heatedly at times, but whatever, that's how it works. We never started swearing or name-calling, unlike some, because we actually think through our sides and have some thought behind our words. Petty name calling is for those who haven't actually thought about what they're saying.

Anyway, my view on how things went down on the politica debate from here on Ozzu is pretty positive. The boneheads got banned, which is what needed to happen, and those who constructively participated from both sides aired their views, debated like adults, and hopefully learned something in the process. Which at the end of the day, is the most important thing anyway.

.c
  • gisele
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 585
  • Loc: Nimes (France)

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello all,
We just have to take debates for what they are:debates can be funny, stupid, dangerous,, taboo, intersting, exiting everything you want, but absolutly vain for everyone's opinion.
So far I never saw a Bush /clinton/God/whoever supporter becoming a Bush/Clinton/god/whoever contestant within a debate and vice versa.
debating is just an ego trip in wich everyone would rather see his whole own opinion being followed by the rest of the world and from wich most of the time everyone get out more conviced by his owhn opinion than before.

we come in a debate to convince, not to be convinced.This behaviour is just a natural instinct.

there's no exception:tempérance, pragmatism, fairplay etc. ARE opinions and none of these virtues could go as higher without any hidden/repressed/ parallele/unconscious/narcissic/whatever instinctive plan.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 861
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

word to gisele...
makes me think a lot about the whole idea that what's great about the u.s. is that we debate so much...
i mean, i wonder what it would look like if, rather than debating, we really took the time to understand one another and grow and work together like that...
i mean, dang... i'm thinking about something i just read in the nytimes about this cat who's the new u.s. envoy to the u.n. and about how he's such a great pick 'cos he's going to really push the u.s. interests at the u.n. and, well...
i'm just thinking... what if, when people came together, we had the goal of listening, too?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1098

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it's more than just Bolton pushing the US's adgenda at the UN... that's what he's supposed to do anyway. It's that he HATES the UN, he considers it useless and wants the whole institution done away with. That's why he was probably not the best choice.

Anyway, regarding the issue of debates. You can't listen to someone unless they say what they think, and if you disagree... what? Just sit there, smile and nod? Of course not. Bam, a debate insues.

As gisele said, debates can take many forms of which a heated argument is only one, and you're right, in that form isn't not really very production. Current politics tend to incite that sort of debate because the issues on once side don't really even start at the same common values, so there is no starting place to say... "Ok... we can at least agree on X, right?"

Wrong. The politics are comes from opposed worldviews, so, all people can really do is argue. Debates are healthy and important. Arguements are not. Not in this context anyway.

.c
  • gisele
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 585
  • Loc: Nimes (France)

Post 3+ Months Ago

hola todos,
What I want to say is that debates are absolutly vain to find out an objective truth, at least with our kind of approach.
Like Hegel said, human realities aren't the best things picked out objectivly, (impossible anyway) from a totality but the whole totality.
The truth is not only a synthesis of different opinions but the whole sum of theses opinions.
The truth is one thing plus its contrary.

I don't want to say that everyone should give up with his vain argumements but debates are nether usefull when we try to pound out that we are right nor even when we try to find who's right.
Ideally, it could help us to undestand what's different in someone else but in fact, debates, corrupted by our instincts, are only sterile redundances.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.