Popup blocker

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello peeples!! *wave*

Since my bossman and his geeky IT consultant decided that the google toolbar was the cause of my computer problems (pfffft) I am left popup blockerless.

I know I could google this question and get a million responses however in this case I'm specifically looking for personally recommended FREE popup blockers which work well on an XP pro set up, using IE explorer and something that wont interfere with other programs.

If you know of one you use and recommend I'd love to know where I can find out more.

Thanks in advance,

Rose
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

One word - Firefox

One Link - <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/">Firefox</a>

One Warning - do not download mysearchbar, mysearch or anything resembling them....spyware city.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that was the other ikky thing I wanted to be careful of. So Firefox is a :thumbsup: in your books?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
yeah that was the other ikky thing I wanted to be careful of. So Firefox is a :thumbsup: in your books?

Oh, my....you are about to be bombarded with replies from supporters of firefox
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

but thats good yeah? *confused look*

or does firefox have spyware?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Musik -- download and install it. You won't be sorry. Once you get used to the tabbed browsing you'll go back and thank your stupid IT guy for showing you the light.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh now thats what I wanted to hear ;)

:thumbsup:
  • Talos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was actually suprised to find out that when I installed the windows service pack 2 they have added a nice pop up blocker for IE. So far it has worked for me just fine and stopped just about all of the pop ups I have run accross, although i do really like browsers like firefox with the tabs. I run mostly on linux with the Konqueror browser(also has tabs) in suse but when i do run windows the new built in pop up seems to work.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooo IE has popup blocker now?
  • Talos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

it does in the service pack 2 and although i dont surf a lot in IE it seems to work just fine. but you should stil try firefox just for the tabs :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to clarify - is Firefox an actual browser with a block built in? Because I would like to be able to use IE :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
musik wrote:

Oh, my....you are about to be bombarded with replies from supporters of firefox

Starting now :)

the ONLY reason firefox isnt my primary browser (yet at least im working on it) is becouse the scroll button on my laptop wont work with it.

Just about everything someone could want to add to IE is built into firefix. (not a typo :wink: )

1: Automatically google search selected text from right-click //built in
2: Tiny box that works like google toolbar //built in
3: DOM Inspector for clean view of source code // built in
4: Download Manager // built in
5: POPUP Blocker // built in
6: Ability to disable annoying scripts that move and resize windows // built in
7: Support for theemes // built in
8: Ability to type in the address of a .JS file and have it displayed as text instead of downloading\saving it // built in
9: Easy import of IE favorites // built in
10: Tabbed browsing // you betcha
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh ok so I can import my IE favourites. Nice one. I will download it tonight then :D
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

another bonus with firefox is that it rarely gets hijacked (if even at all). My girlfriend had a whole load of adware on her system and I tried adaware, which got rid of loads of it but there was still some. So I tried manual uninstall - still some left. I eventualy got it down to like 1 piece of adware, which I could not get rid of. Two days later she was infested again!

Installed firefox and nothing now - the adware is still there but does nothing because she doesn't use IE anymore.

The popup blocker on firefox is excellent - it even blocks those adds you get on geocities sites that aren't even pop ups.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been with firefox for a while now, and i dont think that i could ever go back to IE, The only problem that i have got with firefox is that it is slower at starting up then IE, (anyone else find this?)

All the other features make up for that and that is why i will always stick with firefox
  • gonetwork
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can offer you a free ip popup stopper, if you are after that? email me at manager [at] godonate.com and I will send it to your email.
It is written by me so it does not breach copyrights if i give it to you :)
  • sachleens91
  • Born
  • Born
  • sachleens91

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, can anyone tell me how to view the settings for the popup blocker (if any) in firefox and how to srart it, if it is not automaticly started. I was reading all of the posts and popups just make me crazy. I also sometimes use IE and i read one post that said IE had a popup blocker with service pack 2. I have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. Will the IE popup blocker work in versions higher than 6.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like MyIE better than firefox because it has:

built in pop-up blocker (firefox has)
Tabber browsing (firefox has)
Content Filter (Firefox DOES NOT have)

also the tabbing is easier in MyIE IMHO
although I do use both regularly I use MyIE more
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like avant browser more then firefox because it's got everything firefox has and it supports roboform, iespell, and the google tool bar. plus it loads much quicker and has mouse gestures.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

robot form is spyware.

anything that is based on IE (includes MyIE, Avant, SlimBrowser, CrazyBrowser and probably about ten others) is a whole lot slower.

Worst of all, they are all vulnerable to the same security holes that make IE terrible and puts heaps of adware and spyware on users systems.

Firefox uses signifigantly less memory and runs much faster than IE. Right now firefox is using 70MB of RAM and I have six firefox windows with a total of over 100 tabs open.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was gonna give avant a go then as it has got the google toolbar, after looking at it it isnot like firefox as its not tabbed browsing as its just like aol where you have all the windows open in one window,

I am gonna stick with firefox. Does anyone know if they will make a google toolbar for it?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

If they get round to it, but how often do you <b>need</b> the google toolbar? Just open IE when you need it lol.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, i know but its got some cool features that i like, for instance hightligher and the option to search various things like froogle etc.

It would just be cool and more convenient.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

MyIE has a higlighter function
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It wouldn't surprise me if someone had made a highlighter plugin for mozilla/firefox.

Anyway, there is one really neat feature that firefox has that no IE based browser can ope to have - typeing jumps to links.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

is then when you just type anything you want and it will find a link with that in? If so then that is really cool.

I have also got linky which is a plug in. That lets you select a page then right click and make the links open in a new tab etc.

Yeah i think i will stick with firefox as its cool plus the theme can change with my personality which is quite often.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
robot form is spyware.

anything that is based on IE (includes MyIE, Avant, SlimBrowser, CrazyBrowser and probably about ten others) is a whole lot slower.

Worst of all, they are all vulnerable to the same security holes that make IE terrible and puts heaps of adware and spyware on users systems.

Firefox uses signifigantly less memory and runs much faster than IE. Right now firefox is using 70MB of RAM and I have six firefox windows with a total of over 100 tabs open.

what are you talking about? robo form isn't spyware.

Quote:
I was gonna give avant a go then as it has got the google toolbar, after looking at it it isn't like firefox as its not tabbed browsing as its just like AOL where you have all the windows open in one window,

I am gonna stick with firefox. Does anyone know if they will make a google toolbar for it?

and it does have tabbed browsing
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was gonna give avant a go then as it has got the google toolbar, after looking at it it isn't like firefox as its not tabbed browsing as its just like AOL where you have all the windows open in one window,

and it does have tabbed browsing

Well on their website it does not look like that, it looks like all the windows open inside one window.

I might give it a try then and see what its like.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

the "tabs" in avant are down the bottom, barely visible and inaccessable with the mouse.

Quote:
what are you talking about? robo form isn't spyware.

Read the user agreement, then tell met that again.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 29 posts