Possible scam?

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last night I got a weird phone call, at first I thought it was a prank. The guy said he was in the Arctic Ocean and so-and-so (the last name he gave is a common one up here, a large family) had a stroke and he was wanting the phone number for a priest in the next town the the road. Why they didn't just call the guys family and ask for the number I do not know. I can't remember the name of the priest for the life of me today, but I had recognized it last night when he said it. It is no big deal getting a phone call from the Arctic Ocean either because a lot of people from around here work for logging companies part of the year and then on commercial fishing vessels the rest of the year because there is no other work to be done. So I foolishly looked up the name in the phone book but there was none, instead I gave him the sheriffs department phone number and he seemed pretty greatfull, but I'm still suspicious that it was some sort of whacko scam.

Does anyone know what the heck was going on there?
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I'm still suspicious that it was some sort of whacko scam.

For sure. This is the ol' "dead arctic fisherman" ploy.

Sometime in the next week, the priest will show up at your house to inform you that the arctic fisherman has sadly died, but in return for your thoughtfulness during his time of need, he has bequeathed you his entire estate, worth some $35 million US. In order to receive this money you must first pay $10 000 to the priest to cover taxes and legal fees. Don't do it!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If that should happen, I'll gladly pay him 10 grand.....worth of quarters packed into 20 gauge shotgun shells and delivered from my shotgun.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The important question isn't why they didn't call the guys family, it's why they called you.

How did they get your number ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't know why they called me and not the guys family, but the town I live in and the town where the sheriffs office and that priest are in both share the same telephone prefix so maybe he fat fingered it and got me by mistake.
  • LINE71X
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • LINE71X

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
If that should happen, I'll gladly pay him 10 grand.....worth of quarters packed into 20 gauge shotgun shells and delivered from my shotgun.

Ohhh even better! he'll be in awe :twisted:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually he'll probably be like the priest on that one funny movie with the Shaun of the Dead guys, and little machine gun barrels will pop out of his sleeves and he'll shoot back.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Actually he'll probably be like the priest on that one funny movie with the Shaun of the Dead guys, and little machine gun barrels will pop out of his sleeves and he'll shoot back.

"Hot Fuzz" is the movie.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats the one! I haven't heard back from anyone yet, so who knows what the heck was going on. I had thought of calling the sheriffs office the day after to see if the Arctic Ocean guy had called them or not. And I've been looking in the police blotter section of the news paper but haven't seen anything.

you know what is funny? Right now on the right side of my screen there is an advertisement for the Front Sight Firearms Training Institute. Google Ads are funny.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts