Posting Professional Resume Online

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having a website dedicated to your professional resume seems to be all the rage these days, and since I am in the market for new work I have decided to do this as well. But I am pretty much broke and don't have the spare cash laying around to register a domain name and pay a hosting service to house my site. So my first question is this: Is it lame\cheesy\stupid\unprofessional to use a free hosting service for your resume?

Secondly, any tips for making this page? What has worked for you or people you have hired with sites like this?

I know it is going to have to be absolutely perfect because web design is one thing I am going to put as one of my skills, so 100% valid XHTML and CSS will need to be mandatory and I'll have to be double and triple sure it works in all browsers. I've been thinking I probably won't want a whole lot of images or fancy schmancy bells and whistles because I don't want it to distract from the main content, and the content is exactly why they are visiting the site.

Thanks in advance, and I'll be sure to post it in the web site critique forum when it is finished.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Is it lame\cheesy\stupid\unprofessional to use a free hosting service for your resume?

Yes. I did it and it got no respect whatsoever from any potential employers. It's been a waste of time for me.

Quote:
Secondly, any tips for making this page? What has worked for you or people you have hired with sites like this?

Create a PDF that you can distribute. It should include any and all experience you have not limited to design. People want to know not just whether you can do the job, but whether you're going to create any other problems for them or if you have other usefull skills.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a pdf version of my resume that I pass out to places I am applying for, and so far nobody has complained. I'm using the pdf instead of a MS word file because I use open office, so that might not be a good idea to send them a file and then tell them they need to download this program to open it.

I was searching around for cheap places to host sites, and I think I might research google sites a little more. They host it for free, but I would have to shell out $10 a year for a domain name, and I can handle that price.
  • cjxxi
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • cjxxi
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a good idea, I already have my resume ready and everything, But never thought about posting it to my site :) , now calling all employers to go checkout my resume LOL :P .
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me thinking to do the same too. Actually already done it just that now I need to maintain it and add more details so it looks nicer.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I will use google sites and just bite my lip and pay the 10 bucks, pay day is Friday and I've got plenty of gas in my jeep and motorcycle, no bills are due this week and I can raid my parents fridge, so all is good. Thanks a bunch jb, cj, and gl!

//my feet hurt, I walked over 25 miles yesterday

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts