Praise the Lord!

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally had some success in convincing my company to migrate from an older Novell network to a Win2k3 network. Personally, I don't think Novell is a bad system at all. Personally, I even like it to an extent. Just difficult to manage and case specific problems, have made it extremely difficult to do any kind of upgrades.

Just sharing the joy!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

yay! :handsup: (sharing the joy with you ;))
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

They wouldn't go for Linux huh? hehe - congrats ;)

Hey Unflux, have you edited your avatar to make your name stand out a bit more on it?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
They wouldn't go for Linux huh?

I'd kinda like to comment on this one. First of all, for the record, I liked the brief experience I had with linux. I wiped my drive shortly after installing it and will most likely install it again shortly and play with it more. My thoughts on linux at this point is that I think the popularity so far is derived from the fact that it's open source, essentially free and accessable. I also know it is very efficient in a web environment. Especially when combined with Apache. (keep in mind -- I'm not that knowledgeable on either -- my primary experiences have been with clients hosted on linux boxes.

But at this point I don't see Linux as a viable networking solution in a corporate environment. Maybe after Novell gets their hands on it -- but not at this point. Just my opinion.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

:twisted: now the game begins with win2k3 server, 'evil laugh' :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah -- I'm already aware of a few bugs. My big headache will be to get a couple software proggies and all the emails migrated over. Still not too sure how that's going to work out. I've got some folks with some serious addresses I don't want to screw up. This will be a challenge for sure.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was only messing with it, but I just wanted to say it before somebody else beat me to it ;)

How does 2K3 compare to 2K?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the most part just as stable. I truly barely noticed much difference. My experience so far was the beta. I'll be installing the real deal shortly and will let you know. I expect the bugs got worked out.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

why is there addresses stored on the server in the first place? If everybody had a personal folder on there computer there addresses and emails would be stored on there computers. You could add a little to the nightly backup to grab there .pst files from there personal workstations if they had there addresses and emails stored there just for an added bonus to have a backup if there .pst ever gets to corrupted. Also that would give u a little breathing room if the email server goes down so u could just a have a spare email server pickup the sending and receiving, also that would cut down on the disk requirements of the email server, just a thought or two :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

We're currently on a Novell system ModernDestroyer. All the emails and addresses are stored in a database on the SYS volume, which I could just smack the guy that installed it for putting it there -- groupwise should have never been installed on the sys volume, that's been one of my primary problems to date. In other words, nothing from email is stored on the local machines. But you bring up a good point that I need to think about. Our users aren't assigned specific computers. I need to make sure I can guarantee that if they move to a different box, they'll get their profile and email config. Thanks for the reminder to check that out.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a lot of fun! I am just going to school for this kind of stuff, and it is nice to hear people talking about it, cause I like to learn what happens in the 'real world' as apposed to the classroom.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Hey Unflux, have you edited your avatar to make your name stand out a bit more on it?

nope -- same 8)

I love the 2k3 server personally. I like the additions and changes to be
a bit more like XP. Most of what I experienced with it was actually
helpful. I only used it at home though, and not on a true production
network so who knows if my opinion would be different. But so far, I
haven't seen too many people complain about it either.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it's just my eyes have gotten used to it more now, but it seems to stand out more than it used to lol.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts