Pre-Order A Geforce FX Card !!!!

• Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey people, I don't know if any of you are excited as me when it comes to the Geforce FX card, but I've been searching Google news every day for information on it's release and found this artile which was just posted just over an hour ago -

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2...30116018197.htm

Which states that the card is gonna be in short supply when it's released on March 7th, that they won't catch up with demand until MID-2003.

In the link above there's a link to Best Buy's page where you can pre-order the card for $399 +tax, but it does have free overnight shipping

The thing is that the card for pre-sale has 128-megs of ram, while the article says that there's also a 256-meg version of the card, but I suppose that's gonna sell for $499, but who knows.

I just pre-ordered mine, so I'll be on top of the list, if something else comes up, I'll just cancel it, but for now, I've got myself in line at Best Buy
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get a 404 page when I click on your link you gave man.
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dooooh, the link got messed up.

Try CLICKING HERE
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also found the 256-meg version of the card selling here -
http://www.computerboot.com/nl/dept_81.html

for 692,00 Euros, how much is that US ?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to the calculator I found here:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

692 Euros would be equal to $733.84 USD
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah the 256 meg version of the card must be a nice way to go, I think I would rather have that compared to the 128 meg version... even though the 128 meg version is probably nice. I only got a GeForce 3 with 64 megs of ram haha.
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I'm gonna have to see how much of a difference there'll be between the 128-meg and 256-meg card. The sucky thing is that the 256-meg card is suppose to also have the GPUs upgraded to 500-mhz, which would add more of a punch to the card, BUT I sure as hell know that I'm not gonna pay $733 for the card, I could buy a new system for that price.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know, that price is kind of ridiculous... I wouldn't either.
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I've just discovered that Comp USA is selling the PNY version of the Geforce FX card here -

http://www.compusa.com/promos/geforcefx ... cm_ite=gfx

It's also only the 128-meg version and it's going for $400. I'm wondering if i should jump on that one, it's coming out on FEB 5th, which is only a couple of weeks away.

DAMN, I hate being in these predicaments. I'm sure if the 128-meg cards are gonna be $400, the 256 meg cards will be $500 (or more) which I don't think that I could see myself spending that kind of money on a card, $400 is expensive enough, so I wonder if I should just jump on the 128-meg card.

I want a Geforce FX card soooo bad, I can taste it, ha ha ha. I just don't know if I should spend the $400 on the 128-meg card, then kick myself in the ass later on for not getting the 256-meg card. I wonder just how much difference it'd make. I'm sure when Doom 3 comes out, it'll make a hell of a lot of difference, he he he.

What would you do ???
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I just went to Best Buy and cancelled my order there. I figure if I'm gonna drop $400 on a video card, what's wrong with just dropping another $100 on the thing to make it that much better. I'm sure with double the ram and a faster GPU, it'll last longer for me or at least I hope it will, ha ha ha.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I assume you for the 256 card for $500 then?
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimmie wrote:
I assume you for the 256 card for $500 then?

Yep, that's true, so far from what I hear anyways :)
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say it's weel worth the extra $100 then. Personally, I would be a total jackass to spend that kinda money on a video card, when my GeFroce2 Pro works fine :shock:
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimmie wrote:
I would say it's weel worth the extra $100 then. Personally, I would be a total jackass to spend that kinda money on a video card, when my GeFroce2 Pro works fine :shock:

ROFL, he he he, I had a Geforce Ti200 card, but got rid of it in my old system. I don't know if I can push myself into spending $500 on a video card here, so I've actually been thinking about just getting the Radeon 9700 Pro for $275.

I'm getting all excited over the Geforce FX cards though that are coming out, BUT lately I've been reading some things that aren't making it sound good like the fact the the card is VERY loud, the fact that the card might not be that much more powerful than the Radeon 9700 Pro (We won't know until some final versions are actually benchmarked), but people are now predicting that it's not gonna be that much better, plus the fact that ATI is supposed to have a new card coming out after the Geforce FX that will more than likely kick the Geforce's ass.

If I just go out and get the Radeon 9700 Pro for $275 now, I can save myself $225 on the card right now and in another year, I could pop that money that I saved now, plus a couple more bucks and get the newest ATI card, which should be MUCH better than the Geforce FX, so I'd be better off.

As far as a Geforce2 card running things, like with my card, it still does an ok job, BUT with games like Battlefield 1942 and Unreal Tournament 2003, the card can't show the true beauty of those games, that's why I need something more potent.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

But your convinced that with spending $275 or $500, that you will be able to see the "true beauty" in those games?

I think, they have got you hook, line and sinkered! When I bought this GeForce card, I was told the exact same thing. I upgraded from a VooDoo 3 and was told hw much better games would look, how much better game play etc would be. I could tell absolutely no difference whatsoever and consider myself an idiot for spending the $250 on this card, when the VooDoo 3 that I paid maybe $100 for worked just as well. :roll:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had upgraded from a Voodoo 2 to a GeForce 3 card and saw a huge difference... maybe cuz there was quite an extreme difference though. Anyway I fell in love with the GeForce 3 card like within the first minute. If anybody walked by you could actually hear me growl as I wouldn't want anybody to get near it! (haha, hope you guys realize im joking)
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimmie wrote:
But your convinced that with spending $275 or $500, that you will be able to see the "true beauty" in those games?

I think, they have got you hook, line and sinkered! When I bought this GeForce card, I was told the exact same thing. I upgraded from a VooDoo 3 and was told hw much better games would look, how much better game play etc would be. I could tell absolutely no difference whatsoever and consider myself an idiot for spending the $250 on this card, when the VooDoo 3 that I paid maybe $100 for worked just as well. :roll:

Actually, when you're playing high end games like Unreal Tournament 2003, I know for a fact that my games would look MUCH better with either the Radeon 9700 Pro or the Geforce FX card. There's no hook, line, and sinker here, these newer cards do kick ass.

Right now the Radeon 9700 Pro is the top card, while the Geforce FX is coming out, at this time I just don't know how much better the Geforce FX card will be because there's no final versions floating around for people to actually give a fair honest opinion on.

If you have a system greater than a 1-ghz and go out and pop a Radeon 9700 Pro in your system, then pop in some newer games like Unreal 2003 or Battlefield 1942 or the upcoming Doom 3 especially, it'll be like a night and day difference.

I guess that the biggest point I'm pondering is that I know that the Radeon 9700 Pro will kick ass in games that I'm playing now, BUT I wanna be sure that when Doom 3 hits, I'll be playing it with the best video card :)
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I had upgraded from a Voodoo 2 to a GeForce 3 card and saw a huge difference... maybe cuz there was quite an extreme difference though. Anyway I fell in love with the GeForce 3 card like within the first minute. If anybody walked by you could actually hear me growl as I wouldn't want anybody to get near it! (haha, hope you guys realize im joking)

ROFL, ha ha ha, I felt the same way when I got my Geforce 3 Ti200 card and i went from a Geforce 1 card.

Like I say though, it's all about the games that you play, I could pop in a copy of Quake 2 or Half-Life and probably get the same performance outta my Geforce 3 card than I would get with the Radeon 9700 Pro, but like I say, with today's games, there wouldn't be much comparison, the Radeon would blow it outta the water.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

DO u enjoy sitting in your chair for hours on end playing games? I'd much rather sit in my recliner and play the PS2/XBOX on my big screen.
  • Slick
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jimmie wrote:
DO u enjoy sitting in your chair for hours on end playing games? I'd much rather sit in my recliner and play the PS2/XBOX on my big screen.

I love playing games in between my web work, but when I do, I'd rather play games on my computer. Playing online is where it's at, sure the Playstation 2 now has that capability, but i never dug into it yet. I do have a PS2 and like playing Vice City and Smackdown 4, but other than that, my computer is where I game.
  • grinner
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • grinner

Post 3+ Months Ago

show me vice city meets gran turismo on the net and I'm there.
Till then it's just too much work, man.

grin

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts