Problems....

• Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I am on my "dads" computer and I have been cleaning it out by the truck loads.. I got him PC-Cillin which is an anti-virus software and got 6 viruses total which 2 of them where the horrible Trojans.. Anyways, I have two problems.. I am running Windows 98 I believe on this computer and a few of the viruses PC-Cillin said it could NOT quarantine or clean so what do I do????? Also, another problem is this program called couponsandoffers which did NOT pick up as a virus or anything but it constantly gives pop ups out of no where and the crappy part is that it will not let me delete it at all.. It says access denied whenever I try to empty it from my recycle bin.. I am so sick of people and there great ideas on increasing there traffic by screwing up other people.. GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.. Anyways, I need to delete it and I want to know if it is possible to? THANKS A BUNCH!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard about this before, but cannot remember the exact resolution. Have you tried rebooting and then deleting it? Or have you tried to delete it from safe mode or from command prompt?
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you lost me right after....
Quote:
Have you tried rebooting and then deleting it?

Well, I do know that I have tried to delete it a few days ago and it still exist..

Alright here is what happens..

There is the couponsandoffers folder in program files and there are about 2 folders in itself which leads to all its contents.. I can delete most of the contents but only a certain amount but most.. After all the deleting I can do I am left with couponsandoffers, a folder in that, another folder in that, and 2 note pads in that.. If i try and delete ANY of that it acts like it does but just reappears.. If I try and remove any of the other contents of couponsandoffers from the recycle bin it just says access denied.. Also, it says access denied if I try and restore it saying something like I don't have access to MOVE it.. Pfft.. This crap really gets my blood boiling..
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you run Ad-Aware or any other spyware removal tool? I know I'll get a bunch of people saying something if I mention AVG again. But it does a good job and I haven't found a virus it hasn't been able to remove or disable so I could remove it. :D
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what I would do...

VIRUSES --
The nice thing about viruses are they always have a unique name. And
most anti-virus software companies keep a nice, detailed list of these
names and characteristics open to the public. Go here and find your
specific virus and it will tell you how to remove it.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... nfodb.html

What you are most likely going to have to do is boot into safe mode, and
edit the registry and/or remove the files. The virus was probably written
to maintain admin access only and safe mode will ignore that.

POPUPS --
download and run this:
Spybot Search and Destroy - http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10122137.html

you will be ASTOUNDED at how much crap is on your computer that it will
find and fix. It's a great 3rd party app.

Good luck with it.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

I knew that this was an Unflux question.. LOL :D
  • lolaholic
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Twinnieville!

Post 3+ Months Ago

grrr lol, ya beat me to it :P
  • Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ModernDestroyer wrote:
Did you run Ad-Aware or any other spyware removal tool? I know I'll get a bunch of people saying something if I mention AVG again. But it does a good job and I haven't found a virus it hasn't been able to remove or disable so I could remove it. :D

I can only agree that AVG anti-virus is the best. :)

http://www.grisoft.com

try it.

Yes I use it on all my computers. I got rid of Norton after I got 16 yes 16 Viruses that it never noticed.

AVG removed them on the first sweep.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would just back some stuff up and wipe the whole darn thing!! Start fresh & install Zone Alarm too.

I dont use any virus protection - im just smart with how I use my email programs and use popup blockers to stop those viruses in them too - im not saying im not at risk - but you can have all the gadgets in the world and they wont save you if you dont use your head as well...

Soo... be smart with what you open in email (disable all preview panes)
Download Zone Alarm: http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10217 ... ag=lst-0-5

Get a good popup blocker (they can contain viruses that are automatically downloaded onto your computer): http://toolbar.google.com/

Read up on how to keep you and your computer safe - test how safe your computer currently is: http://www.grc.com

Ports are the way hackers can gain access to your computer - see how safe your current situation is: https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, thanks a bunch you guys.. All of that REALLY helps.. I took that test musik and this is what I got...

Attempting connection to your computer. . .
Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep that definetly is a good result! scroll down the page a little lower and there is the option to probe ALL your ports... I would do that too :D
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I did and it passed..

Also, I have this Trojan called BKDR_CALYPS.A and it is on Svcinit in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.. Anyways, I am trying to get rid of it and found the info on how to at http://www.trendmicro.com which is the people who made my anti-virus PC-cillin.. So, this is a part that it said...

Quote:
Terminating the Malware Program

This procedure terminates the running malware process from memory. You will need the name(s) of the file(s) detected earlier.

1. Open Windows Task Manager.
On Windows 95/98/ME systems, press
CTRL+ALT+DELETE
On Windows NT/2000/XP systems, press
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, then click the Processes tab.
2. In the list of running programs*, locate the malware file or files detected earlier.
3. Select one of the detected files, then press either the End Task or the End Process button, depending on the version of Windows on your system.
4. Do the same for all detected malware files in the list of running processes.
5. To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.
6. Close Task Manager.

*NOTE: On systems running Windows 95/98/ME, Task Manager may not show certain processes. You may use a third party process viewer to terminate the malware process. Otherwise, continue with the next procedure, noting additional instructions.

So anyways, I am running Windows 98 on this computer and Svcinit doesn't show up on my Task Manager and I don't know what it means about the third party process viewer.. What do I need to do?
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go here and download Ad aware and install.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts