Problems with AIM

• HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

lately i havent been able to sign on to AIM. i tried the automatic connection, but it couldent find a server. It was wierd because it all of a sudden just stopped working. i didnt download any new programs or anything. but ive tried to uninstall and then reinstall the program. but that didnt work. None of my messenger programs are working either (Gaim, Trillian, Easy Message). i kinda use AIM alot for school work, so if someone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• myemailaccount
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • myemailaccount
  • Loc: North of Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unintall aim then try to reenstall it also check toi be shure that the internet is connected
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you recently add a router?
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

no rounter = /
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

its been about 4 days and i still cant sign on.. i tried installing icq but it didnt work either
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you or someone else set up a proxy? I've heard they can affect messenger programs. Apparently you have an internet connection, correct? I've just been assuming you've been posting from the same computer you can't use your messenger services. It's an odd problem I've never seen before especially that it affects all your instant messaging stuff. You don't use Kaaza do you?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This could explain AIM somewhat, but not the fact that you can't get any to work.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/0 ... .problems/
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never thought to ask, are you at home, or are you in a school dorm with a network?
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

im at home, this is the only computer in the house with the connection to the dsl, and that web site might be right if the service went down again, but i hope it comes back soon :(
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you running any kind if firewall such as ZoneAlarm?

Possibly this could be blocking AIM from accessing the outside world (which could explain why your web browser can still resolve addresses & connect to sites, even if AIM can't resolve the server's hostname).
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use kazza but i deleted it yesterday since someone told me it might block some ports
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've turned off my firewall ive had zone alarm for about a year and ive never had this problem
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

would changing the host and port # in AIM solve anything? if so, what do i change it to?
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

can someone plzzzzzzzzzzz help me fix this. i really need to get this fixed because im missing alot of school work :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

HeLpMePLz wrote:
i use kazza but i deleted it yesterday since someone told me it might block some ports

kaaza puts a lot of adware spyware junk on your computer that might be causing your issues.

Download and install and run either Spybot Search and Destroy:
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

or Adaware
http://www.tucows.com/preview/236049.html

Both are free and very effective. You need to get rid of all the crap that I guarantee you is on your machine due to kaaza.

Then reboot after you've run either of those programs. That should allow them to clean up anything that was in use when you ran them. Then if that still doesn't fix the problem, uninstall AIM through your Add/Remove programs in the COntrol Panel.

Reboot again. Then reinstall AIM using the standard default install.
You may need to do the same with your other messenger programs.

I can't guarantee this will work, but it's exactly what I would do if I was on your computer.
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx for the advice! but i have both of those programs and have tried that with no success :( but ill try it again.
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

wait, what is a standard default install?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been awhile since I installed AIM, but sometimes installs will let you customize the way you want it. Just accept all the default prompts that come up.

Don't forget the reboots in the order I listed them. Even if you are not promted sometimes things don't get changed because files are in use while Windows is running and don't get cleaned up until you reboot.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

you might also look into changing the port to port 80 in AIM.. here at work i have to go through port 80 because they have 5190 blocked.. look in your prefences under "sign on/off" section inthe "connection" button
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the record Gadget in case you didn't get to read to far into this, at home, no network, no router, firewall disabled, kaaza nixed, spybot and adaware run, AIM uninstalled reinstalled. // oh, and other messanger programs don't work including a new install of ICQ

I just got the chance to fire it up from home and it's working fine. Connection server is login.oscar.aol.com and port 5190
  • HeLpMePLz
  • HeLpMePLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

ANTO/TW YOU ARE MY HERO!!

i think the restarting the comp after the ad-aware and unistall did the magic. before this i had used both ad-aware and search and destroy, but i never restarted the comp after using them. thanx alot for the help :lol:

just for future reference, can i reinstall kazza? or should i just leave it alone?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you reinstall kaaza I will hunt you down like a dog and shoot you straight between the eyes!!! //I guess I should add "just kidding" so people don't get the wrong impression. Glad you fixed it. Like I said earlier, you may need to do the same with your other messenger proggies.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah sorry i kinda skimmed over that one.. :-)
  • GodSmacK0280
  • GodSmacK0280

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am having troubles with the aim also, i tried the steps that you had given to the other person, and it didnt work...i would really appreciate your help :(
  • GodSmacK0280
  • GodSmacK0280

Post 3+ Months Ago

please....
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

God, I hate Kazza, the bandwidth stealer.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well that is what you get for downloading software, music and other illegal stuff, and yes I know you can argue that it is not ileagal because ou don't download the enitre thing, you donlaod segments, but the entire idea is just sickening
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know its illegal, I never said it wasnt, I am just saying there are much better channels ;-) out there they don't steal bandwidth or install spyware.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

so your saying that using a a different client makes it better? I think taht if you are going to do all that illegal stuff you should ATLEAST be willing to accept the conceuences of your action, and having some 3rd party monitor your system seems like a very minimal price to me
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 40 posts