UK Proposes to Monitor All Communications

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
In the Queen's speech this autumn Gordon Brown's government will announce a scheme to institute a database of every telephone call, email, and act of online usage by every resident of the UK. It will propose that this information will be gathered, stored, and "made accessible" to the security and law enforcement agencies, local councils, and "other public bodies".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ies.labour
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ... Big Mother is watching you ...
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you say Big Mother since it is England and the Queen? Big Brother was the term coined in George Orwell's book 1984, and yes this is pretty much that there. There is this paranoid dude at work that refuses to get a new digital hi-def tv because of that book, he thinks that since it is digital they can watch him through it.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Three things occur to me about this...
1. Governments and the people they govern worry too much.
2. Honest people shouldn't have to worry anyway.
3. Many people are delusional in thinking they're important enough to be spied upon. :lol:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you've got nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to be worried about is what you're saying basically, right?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
If you've got nothing to hide, then you've got nothing to be worried about is what you're saying basically, right?

In a very simplified form, maybe. If I take that statement at face value, I'd have to qualify it with "assuming the people with access to this information are using it responsibly, for the intended purpose."

I think there's an inherent trade off between freedom and security. You've got to give a little to get a little, in a sense.

However, like I said, I think today's governments and their constituents are both overly worried. Paranoid even, on both sides of the coin. I think the ability to move and exchange information, and it's radical evolution have been overwhelming to to the world.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I think there's an inherent trade off between freedom and security. You've got to give a little to get a little, in a sense.

Benjamin Franklin wrote:
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the tendency to relate security with liberty is way off base.

Being monitored in itself is not oppressive or something that denies someone their freedom.
If someone feels oppressed in a situation where they're being watched, it's because of their own conscience & set of morals.

Theoretically, one persons "right to privacy" could be considered oppressing another persons freedom to be aware of what's going on around them.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Benjamin Franklin wrote:
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

While those are fanciful words on Ben's part, I think the premise of this quote is incorrect. I'd argue there is a balance, inherently. Even if we don't like it.

The choice isn't, "Whether, or not...".

It's, "How much?"

The idea that a government, of any kind, doesn't already do these things is kind of... :roll:

joe, I'm not sure we're disagreeing... ;)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alls I know is that if NASA really is watching me with infrared satellite cameras while I'm in the shower, hopefully they've learned a thing or two. Like how to clean between their toes.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Meh. To be honest, the more i read about this the more i want to cut myself off from the "real" world and just live out in the sticks on whatever i can see to survive on.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My take is that if you are really that paranoid about being spied on, or if you are that fussy about your privacy, then you must be doing something you are feeling guilty for. Example, lets say I walk into a liquor store and buy a 6'er of labatt's, show my ID and pay cash, then walk out, knowing all along that I am on camera the entire time. But a few minutes after I leave a person in a ski mask with a sawed off shot gun comes in a robs the place. Of course the criminal is doing something wrong, so if he is smart enough he will probably be reclusive and try to avoid being seen or watched. Whereas I am John Q Citizen, just minding my own business.

But on the other hand, there are legitimate situations where I would like to be assured that I'm not being watched. But really, they probably aren't watching one person more than another in the UK (maybe they should), they're likely going to pretty much put a big blanket over everybody and then pick out the suspicious stuff.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Living in a cave would be fun, but I think I'm an internet addict.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Meh. To be honest, the more i read about this the more i want to cut myself off from the "real" world and just live out in the sticks on whatever i can see to survive on.

I was going to do that a few years ago. A few friends were going to Georgia to pickup a friend of theirs and bring her back to Florida. I rode with them and picked up a bunch of camping gear and supplies because I was going to live off the land in the Georgia mountains.

Once we got out there & I saw the vast emptiness of the mountains, in terms of there not being anything but trees for as far as the eye could see, I suddenly realized I'd lost my freakin mind.

We took all of my supplies back to the store & I told my buddy to slap me upside the head next time I had another bright idea like that. :lol:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting you should say that Joe, i've just recently bought a book called "Into the Wild" which is a true story about a guy who did exactly that. Gave all of his savings to charity and then moved out to live in the wild. A movie was made about it several years later.

Gonna start reading the book then will watch the movie as i hear they are both quite good.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Holy crap, that is a good movie and an even greater book! Wilderness survival has been a little weekend hobby of mine for a few years, and you'd be surprised how little you can live on and how much there is in a seemingly bare place. It's not like you would have to go into the woods stark naked though, as you'll read in Into the Wild he went into Alaska with a .22 rifle and a book on local edible plants and other gear. I might recommend other books by an author named Tom Brown, specifically his titles The Tracker and The Search. He also has a series of wilderness survival and self sufficiency field guides too, all good reads. And a great website is http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, i'll look into those after i've read this book. Gonna take it in stages. It doesn't hurt to know what might be important information in the future.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I give you all 2 weeks, tops. :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatchet_(novel)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts