Punching the Man in the Moon

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's about 40 minutes to impact and I can't wait to see what happens.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LCROS ... index.html
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since they came up to the south pole of the moon, and they are punching the man in the moon, does that make it an upper cut?
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: :|
Moderator Remark: Excessive punctuation/emoticons removed
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That cheesy joke is the best thing to happen to me so far today. I'm pulling some cable, a cat5 and a long vga cable for a smart board. I went from the music teachers office up into the attic, then out into the music room. So after I am done drilling my holes I am starting to head down the ladder from the attic. There is an air compressor right next to the ladder that has something to do with the hvac I assume, and just as I'm starting to make my way down the ladder it comes on and scares the crap out of me and making me nearly fall out of the attic.

So then I'm trying to find a ladder to get up into the ceiling. Most of the ladders are too small because the ceiling is fairly high, except for one on the stage in the multipurpose room, which just so happened to be burried underneath 3 large wrestling mats that weigh a couple hundred pounds each. I managed to get it out and into the music room and wouldn't you know that ladder is too big.

I need a beer.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was hoping they had video of it

it's kinda funny. Billions of dollars in equipment and the best idea they have is to slam a big chuck of metal into the moon at high speed. LOL
  • Flanders
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Reno, Nevada US

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's how the heavens work. Slamming big chunks of things into other big chunks of things. Otherwise, we'd all be gas bags (not to mention a few names who MIGHT still be.) :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking at this "centar target" photo and wondering why they're aiming for this little dark spot in a crater when there's a huge dark spot just to the right of there that several times larger than the crater they're aiming inside of. :scratchhead:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think they picked that crater because it is super deep and permanently shadowed. I heard something that it's temperature is about 100 kelvin, which is about 180 degrees below zero. The other big crater might get exposed to light from time to time, so the small one is "guaranteed" to have water ice. (guaranteed--meaning that if there really is any this is the best place to find it)
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I think they picked that crater because it is super deep and permanently shadowed. I heard something that it's temperature is about 100 kelvin, which is about 180 degrees below zero. The other big crater might get exposed to light from time to time, so the small one is "guaranteed" to have water ice. (guaranteed--meaning that if there really is any this is the best place to find it)

exactly, I'm not sure why we are so interested in Mars when we have a moon to mess with first.

Maybe Mars will be just like "Total Recall".......
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sending people to mars is still lots and lots of years away, they're wanting to send people back to the moon sometime in the next decade. Their reasoning is that they can practice landing and taking off from the moon and setting up more permanent structures and stuff.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

How the hell are we going to terraform Mars or the Moon when we can't even keep Earth stable ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The really funny part is that this moon crash thing was a FAILURE! There was no visible dust cloud or anything, so the second satellite's spectrometer thing did no good.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
The really funny part is that this moon crash thing was a FAILURE! There was no visible dust cloud or anything, so the second satellite's spectrometer thing did no good.

Where did you read this kc? Can you post a link? Everything I've read said that the project went according to plan.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

AFAIK it did go according to plan, but I followed the hype leading up the event as well. NASA publicized it saying that we would be making a mark on the face of the moon that would have a lasting effect. They talked up a serious impact that would be nothing short of an impressive explosion. Watch the vid and all you get is a soft thud. Serious let-down.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had seen that report on the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC. NASA had told the whole world that it was going to be great and there would be this huge explosion (a mere 5 miles high from what I had read, barely visible with telescopes on earth) and they made graphic illustrations of what it would look like...but there was no amazing plume of ice flying into the air. Their crash landing and everything went as planned, it just wasn't as spectacular as everyone had hoped.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah! Well, hopefully the data will be more fulfilling. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hopefully so. I'm sure their chaser satellite thing had stuff that was shooting lasers and then detecting reflections and all kinds of cool sci fi stuff like that. We wouldn't have seen anything from where I live even if there was something to see, we had a couple days of clouds and early Friday morning we got a couple inches of snow.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts