I Am Punished For Non-Existent Referral Lnk?!

• Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello people,

I have a serious doubt on this topic...
Recently I got punished in another Webmaster Forum because of "non-existent referral link in the post", they got mad and ban me out... But what's really happen?! Some guy ask for opinion about his web hosting problem. It seems that his current hosting wasn't good enough for him any more, and he would like to change it with other one, but he wasn't sure which one to choose. So, he asked other members for advice. He also mentioned in the post some details about his needs... After I saw that post it seems to me a little unreasonable because of numbers he mentioned. I calculated easily that he need nothing more then just ordinary web server which offers every other free hosting provider these days... So I wrote some details about free hosting provider that I have on my mind, mostly numbers, and linked a few words (without mentioned a particular providers name) to the page on my website, where it is described more detailed. Whole page is about free hosting providers generally. It was NOT any Referral link, just ordinary link to the page on my site, as I have done many times before in my posts, which was welcome from moderators and other members, because I provided a lot of useful and free content for everybody who needs, and nobody never had to pay for it anything... I have to say, that I have on my website Google Adsense and some Referral links. Unfortunately, I have Referral links on that page too, so somebody conclude that I deliberately insert link in the post which leads to the page with referral links, so I can earn some clicks extra... Maybe I do so, maybe not, I wasn't think about that?! Anyway, what's a damn point of Adsens Ads, of Referral link, and such programs for monetize a website, if I am not allowed to use it. There's nothing illegal in these activities... Once again, I was NOT insert any REFERRAL LINK in that post, it was just ordinary link, and I believe, its after a visitor to choose, will he click or not on that Referral link, when he comes on my page... Oh, one more thing, It was kind of forum where is allowed to leave links and even banners in the posts, and as I said, it was never a problem if I insert links to the pages on my website.

However, what's done is done, now. I am sorry if I do something wrong, it wasn't my intention. But I'd like to hear your opinion about this thing. Maybe I don't understand whole thing about posting on the forums and spamming. But I am certainly not kind of guy who will gladly do illegal things. I don't live from internet business, I am just a hobby webmaster... Thank you, I'll appreciate your opinions!

Snooper
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand exactly why they were suspicious of you. Judging by the content of your signature (which breaks Ozzu's rules - announcements-rules/ozzu-rules-and-regulations-t697.html) and what appears to be your very determined effort to saturate your post with specific keywords (e.g. Referral link)... you look like you're a spammer.

Sorry.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well since you've drawn attention to yourself with this post, I can probably take a guess as to why you were banned. After reviewing quite a few of your posts I'm tempted to remove at least half of them, because it appears that you are not here to really help anyone, but rather to promote yourself. If you continue that trend, you'll most likely find most of your posts removed here as well.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow ... If I read the words "referral link" one more time I think I might throw up ...
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok guys, I see I am on a thin ice... It seems I am really doing things wrong... I don't want to do things wrong... So tell me why is so wrong if I leave a link to my site. Am I allowed to do that or not? If I am allowed, why is so wrong if I promote my self a little... I really don't understand! I saw many signatures with links to members websites?!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Two links to your sites in your signature is fine. Links to your sites in your posts are considered spam or self promotion here. Even if you are copying your own article (which I've never seen the point of).

Also your signature can only be three lines. Lose the *** and spaces and condense it.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, ANTO/TW... I'll do that immediately!

Thank You.
  • Snooper
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Done, and NO more links in text...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most forums have some sort of rules or guidelines that they want members to follow by. If you are unsure when posting on any particular forum you should try and find those rules and look at the parts with regards to links and spam. There are plenty of ways to get your sites advertised without being considered a spammer. For example look at our Super Moderator ATNO/TW, he makes posts with the intention of helping others and he is completely sincere about it and as a result his signature gets advertised 19634 times on this forum. Some forums such as Webmaster World do not allow any links period, so you should definetely follow the rules of whichever forum you are at.

With Ozzu we do not allow self promotion in posts; the only place someone can advertise is their signature. We still get many members who signup here and spam the board with posts that do not help anybody; things such as: great post thanks!, I agree with what you said!, great idea!, and many other short sentences that do not help anybody in the thread. Usually with these types of posters we have found they are simply trying to get their signature advertised so all we do is delete all their posts with our mass delete button. They wasted our time and their own time.

Now I don't blame anybody for wanting to advertise their own products and services which is why we do allow free advertising in signatures. As long as you contribute and help others in an honest way you will find that you can get lots of free advertising. Some people just do not understand that and they go from forum to forum getting all of their posts removed and their accounts banned.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wish people spent the time they use to cry about being banned from places doing something constructive.

you know, get into law school or something.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent reply Brian. I seem to understand better myself and to be more cautious of not becoming an unintentional spammer.
  • tEeNpReNuEr
  • tEeNpReNuEr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got flamed in another forum just for being absent for like a week or so. I posted two threads, ya know, just trying it out, then completely forgot that I was already registered in that forum. I had a link in my signature too.

When I came back, there were already several posts about me being a spammer (because of the two posts plus the link) and/or that I was another persona for this girl who got banned. Like.. duh... that is so easy to check anyways.

So when I finally got back to posting in that forum again...I got this really scathing post by one of their mods...I answered her accusations and more. I may be young but I do not back down from a fight. Especially from a mod that is being catty for no reason.

Needless to say, I did not quite like their welcoming committee's work so I have not posted there anymore. They can take their opinions and shove it down someone else's throat.

Yey! And I am here now. So far...so four... (four posts that is. hahahahahaha)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of getting fired from a forum. It happened to me!?!

I joined this milionnairematch I can't really remember the website. I went into the forum. I'd not posted any links at all nor did I wrote indecent words or anything and the next time I logged in I found that I was terminated.

Maybe I wasn't a millionaire?
  • tEeNpReNuEr
  • tEeNpReNuEr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or maybe you were too cute eh? Someone got insecure? *wink*
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't even count the number of forums I've been banned from simply because I'm so ridiculously good-looking.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't even get approved for most forums just because I'm so drop dead gorgeous. See my beard and flowing hair <--
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

@kc0tma/spork - ha ha ha yeah I can see how that would be a problem in your case.... see spork is being merciful and not displaying his natural bounty in his avatar.....
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

So is there a reason I'm just accepted everywhere ... ??
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So is there a reason I'm just accepted everywhere ... ??

heh heh you and me both kid :D I think we should draw our own conclusions................. ah...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

tEeNpReNuEr wrote:
Or maybe you were too cute eh? Someone got insecure? *wink*

Wish I'd read this earlier, this makes my day. It's 12.08AM and I feel like I'm going to continue developing something i've put off..

:)

Thank you.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
Speaking of getting fired from a forum. It happened to me!?!

I joined this milionnairematch I can't really remember the website. I went into the forum. I'd not posted any links at all nor did I wrote indecent words or anything and the next time I logged in I found that I was terminated.

Maybe I wasn't a millionaire?

lol non millionaire...

also, wow

Thanks Brian for that post as I now realize I create those unintentional useless post as well (I mean like thank you or whatever)... I shall never say thank you anymore :lol:

Anyway, I was forced to read the rules of this forum on my hundredth post... I didn't read them at the beginning.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey your link to the wow now teaches me something. I didn't know until now...the repeated words. Oh, gosh..

Yeah,:D
non-millionaire

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts