• Born
  • berserk82

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi everyone (1st post!!)

(hope this is the right section)

my isp just introduced a limit for p2p access
i've got a 512K adsl access, but p2p was limited down to....56k more or less

from http i get round 50-55kb/sec which nearly the maximum;
is it possible (im not asking for any settings or anything) but is it really possible, that from my end i can set up ports or other settings which will help me gain the maximum out of my connection even if limited from my isp?

cheers
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I am not really sure with DSL. I know with Cable modems they limit your speed by changing a setting remotely to your actual cable modem. The reason they have to do it on the actual modem I think is because people with cable access are sharing there connection with many others. Anyway with cable modems it is possible to uncap the modem yourself, getting past all the limits and using the full extent of your bandwidth. However if you get caught they will most likely ban you, and possible file a lawsuit because it is illegal.

Now with DSL, I believe you are not sharing with anybody and I am guessing that they are able to restrict the limits right at their station instead of having to do something remotely to your modem. What this means is that there probably isn't anyway to "uncap" and increase your upload or download speed. The only way would probably be to call them up and ask them if they can upgrade you so that you can use more. Usually you would have to pay more per month to do this.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty sure you can't. DSL lines all run into a DSLAM router at the provider's central office which is where they distribute bandwidth from their high speed line. Any bandwidth caps will be made from there and other than asking them to remove the cap there isn't anything you can do locally.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it is just a theory, but you may be able to some how configure the ports to which your using your p2p client and therefore increase your speed that way, because it sounds as though they are capping certain ports on your computer's connection... no clue how you would go about doing that though...
  • plomon
  • Born
  • Born
  • plomon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Yeah I am not really sure with DSL. I know with Cable modems they limit your speed by changing a setting remotely to your actual cable modem. The reason they have to do it on the actual modem I think is because people with cable access are sharing there connection with many others. Anyway with cable modems it is possible to uncap the modem yourself, getting past all the limits and using the full extent of your bandwidth. However if you get caught they will most likely ban you, and possible file a lawsuit because it is illegal.

I'm ready to take the risk. Can you please explain to me how to uncap speed limits of Cable Modem. I need it desperately.
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx
  • Loc: saint joseph, missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

good luck on getting someone to actually help you commit an illegal act.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts