Rant: Are all programmers retarded?

• camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I am trying to set up john@whateverdomain.com tonight, login to webmin and congifure sendmail for the first time on my new server...

Holy cow, reading the options, I thinking half the linux programmers are retards. Who the F** makes a system so complicated, with ports and relaying and virtual mappings and this and that options. Nobody except mentally challenged admins will ever use that.

I mean what was the sendmail programmer thinking?!? All email is, is name@domains.com. NOBODY uses all the setup features. Retards use catchall features, or differnt ports, or whatever. Just auto config your stupid server program to work NOW, not after you spend an hour setting up config files and directories and crap.

/rant
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funny thing is, I was just searching for an SMTP mail server... not that I need one or anything, just looking around for a project I have had bouncing in my head for a long while now. I don't think I'll ever put that into creation but... whatever, that's a bit off topic.

What I found out (from comments, I haven't really setup a server), is that Citadel is supposed to be easy and fast...

By the way... aren't you a programmer?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The funny thing is that there's probably a script to do exactly that stashed on the server in some obscure place.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
The funny thing is that there's probably a script to do exactly that stashed on the server in some obscure place.

I got this eerie feeling you are saying this from experience
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I am a programmer. I think the best advice I ever got was from a producer that said "Don't make it a puzzle". Basically he meant, that whatever the user wants, should be so easy to get to. Whatever he wants, we must, and should, find the easiest way to give it to him, and not make it a puzzle.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Trying again this morning, spent about 2 hours total to set up an email account. Still no luck.

There doesn't even seem to be a place in webmin to add one. There is noplace where you enter "Add new mail: john@whatever.com" <Save>

Obviously I am looking for the wrong thing.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Still cant figure it out. All I need to do is set up president@balboaparkdancers.org but noooo...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What mail services are you using?
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
What mail services are you using?

Well at the moment I am aparently using nothing. I have sendmail and postfix installed...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

This might help you out. I don't think its heavily specific to this host. It looks to be a pretty generic setup. Give it a quick read through and see if it helps you answer any of your questions about webmin and sendmail.

http://rimuhosting.com/support/settingu ... a=sendmail

After I get off work tonight I'll go through and do a quick setup and see if I can get sendmail/postfix running on a CentOS box (Thats what your running correct?). I'll come back and post my discoveries.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually read that, but did you notice that it skips the part about actually setting up an email?

It talks about getting the server to listen, setting up a user account....then skips right to forwarding multiple email address between email addresses, rather than actually setting up the initial email.

It's like an instructor that is teaching you drive, but skips the "turn key to make car engine start" step and gets directly to the "push gas pedal" step.

url for everyone else.
http://rimuhosting.com/support/settingu ... a=sendmail
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm I just glances through it. Anyways I just got off, ill see what I can find.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd have to agree. I've setup some mail servers and I didn't have fun, but I'm not most experienced at that. I'm sure there's a mail server guru and to him it all makes sense.

Are there really that many reasons NOT to out-source email? I just pitched a company on Google Apps. So much nasty stuff comes through email and by the time you weigh in power consumption of the server, administrative costs, downtime, etc I figured each user bin was worth the $4.17 a month (currently $50 a year per user) to the company. No hardware costs, no administration. Of course, I'm not advocating Google, but Unison looked good too or any out-sourced mail service should beat setting one up yourself.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts