Real diamonds for less than $4 a carat

  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 479
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

No kidding, but more than 3 years ago, i read this article on Wired about cultured diamonds...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

with not much hope that it will threaten the diamond mammoth DeBeers.

today it, became a reality. (read the news)

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.0 ... .html?pg=6

Hurray! at least something synthetic will finally shaken the greedy DeBeers. The London-based cartel has monopolized the diamond business for 115 years, forcing out rivals by ruthlessly controlling supply. But the sudden appearance of multicarat, gem-quality synthetics has sent De Beers scrambling. In its long history, De Beers has survived African insurrection, shrugged off American antitrust litigation, sidestepped criticism that it exploits third world workers, and contended with Australian, Siberian, and Canadian diamond discoveries. The fact that there's diamonds in Africa Debeers enough to dangle on the chests of all women in Europe, but DeBeers has just hoard all of these then release it to the market little by little making DeBeers one of bloodiest monopolist cartels of the world. Diamond is viewed as wildly expensive, due to the artificial scarcity that De Beers maintains with its lock on the market

Diamonds (synthetic) can be a good raw material for microchip too it is going to be the ultimate semiconductor. For the very reasons (with Moore's Law in mind) as the processors speed demand increase, so as the temperature which ultimately turn a silicon chip into puddle. Diamond microchip can solve that.

so how did these diamond farms grown these precious gems?


How to Make a Diamond

The Gemesis Way:
http://www.gemesis.com

High pressure, high temperature. Crystal is created in a chamber that mimics geologic conditions.

1. Place metal solvents and graphite in ceramic growth chamber. Insert diamond seed at bottom of chamber and put chamber in center of compression sphere.
Image

2. Force oil into top layer of sphere, creating pressure against steel anvils. Increasing pressure is transferred through anvils and onto growth chamber. Even with minimal pressure at surface, force at center reaches 58,000 atmospheres.

3. Turn on juice. Current wired to one end of ceramic chamber raises temperature to 2,300 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat and pressure cause graphite - pure carbon - to atomize. Freed carbon drawn to cooler end of chamber bonds to diamond seed, crystallizing layer by layer.
Image

4. Wait three days.

5. Open machine. Smash growth chamber, pull out stone. Cut and polish to make sparkling diamond gem.
Image



The Apollo Way:
http://www.apollodiamond.com

Chemical vapor deposition. Crystal is formed when a plasma cloud rains carbon onto diamond wafers.

1. Place diamond wafers on pedestal. Depressurize chamber to one-tenth of an atmosphere.

2. Inject hydrogen, natural gas (CH4) into chamber. Heat with microwave beam. At 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit, electrons separate from nuclei, forming plasma.

3. Let it rain. Freed carbon precipitates out of plasma cloud and is deposited on wafer seeds.
Image

4. Let it grow. Wafer seeds gradually become diamond minibricks, building up at half a millimeter a day.

5. Open chamber and remove diamond brick. Slice into wafers for semiconductors or cut and polish to make gems.
Image
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, what is the purpose of these man-made gems? Is it to give everyone the chance to own what only the wealthy could afford? Do you honestly think that women who are given these gems will feel the same way as if their mate had really spent two months salary on them instead of the price of a twelve pack of beer? Does it really make sence to take down an industry that has been around for as long as we can remeber? Or will these gems become the next plastic?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 479
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

same as women valued with much enthusiasm the cultured pearl than the one harvested from the wild. cultured pearls is way much perfect. cultured diamond is much better (it terms of molecular arrangement).

i have a biased point of view against DeBeers. why should i patronize cartel with very immoral way of doing business which feed on the sweat and blood of the many africans just to have the world's monopoly on diamond market... ? read the article from wired.

you cant tell the difference between diamonds mined from south africa from those harvested in diamond farms from florida. who knows, DeBeers might also been selling cultured diamonds for sometime now. the only difference is the price.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk that is not the only difference. What is to stop people from buying the man-made gems and selling them as real pieces of nature? It would devalue everything that the people who paid their hard earned money on.
Example: The millions of people who believe their diamonds are a perfect cut and spent say $2,000 on, now the same diamonds have a value of $8.
You can't destroy economies by flooding them with fake currency.
If they found a way to make gold from something else what do you think would happen to the global economy?
Sure it's nice to be blinged out like a rap artist, but they worked for it. Most of them rent the stones that they wear anyway.

And the main reason is why would you want to piss off the one who you love?
Haven't you ever heard of "hell has no fury like a woman scorned"?
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13511
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

This seems to produce raw diamonds, it's still going to take a skilled diamond cutter to get that perfect gem.

Quote:
Sure it's nice to be blinged out like a rap artist, but they worked for it.


:lol: Thanks charley murphy, that's the funniest thing I've heard all year.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
This seems to produce raw diamonds, it's still going to take a skilled diamond cutter to get that perfect gem.

Quote:
Sure it's nice to be blinged out like a rap artist, but they worked for it.


:lol: Thanks charley murphy, that's the funniest thing I've heard all year.

Did you like that? So joebert what would your woman do to you if you bought a $8 "diamond" from Wal-mart?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Posts: 298
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

These cultured diamonds only come in colors. They have not been able to create a clear stone. Colored stones are pretty, because they are rare. But in the Diamond market most stones are sold based off of their color and clarity. And on the Diamond color scale - Grade D is the best and that is colorless. The grades get worse the more yellow it gets. These cultured stones are yellow.

I would think most women would not want a yellow engagement ring.


Dangles
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13511
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If she knows what's good for her, she'll laugh.
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2243
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are still synthetic. My family has been in the jewelry industry for over 30 years now. Remember Moissanite? This was the closest thing to diamond, the colored moissanite looked great, but the white looked more yellow...even if we did get colorless in, not many people wanted them because they were not genuine stones.

There are tons of synthetic colored gemstones, much cheaper than the genuine stones, but hardly anyone purchases them because they are not genuine. Most people who want to fakes (synthetic) go to Walmart or some store like that.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1143
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Diamonds are looked upon with high prestige and status because of what they are... Rare and genuine. Simply being able to reproduce something similar to what nature already produces doesn't change this fact.

People will still want the real thing. Its a symbol of status/elegance or however you look at it, because of it's rarity and genuine beauty.

Even if somehow you could reproduce 'The perfect diamond' flawlessly and in mass quantities, something else would probably take its place because it would become less unique.

This may seem helpful and it may be, but there will always be something that is highly regarded and sought after by society.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 479
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dangles wrote:
These cultured diamonds only come in colors. They have not been able to create a clear stone. Colored stones are pretty, because they are rare. But in the Diamond market most stones are sold based off of their color and clarity. And on the Diamond color scale - Grade D is the best and that is colorless. The grades get worse the more yellow it gets. These cultured stones are yellow.

I would think most women would not want a yellow engagement ring.


Dangles


On the contrary Dangles, yellow diamond is the rarest of them all. (im talking rarity from natures point of view, not those yellows from the labs). in fact, as the wired mag said, "seeing three yellow diamonds of the same size and cut is like flipping a coin 10,000 without seeing tail."
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 479
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Diamonds became rare, yes it is. Thanx for DeBeers who made it rare. they have diamonds on Earth enough to cover Hawaii's beaches....but sell the stone as if they mined it from planet mars.



If i have i diamond farm today, i will rather focuses on culturing diamonds for microchips and semi-conductors, i can expect a higher ROI competing intel than cutting those for jewelry...YOU GUYS WONT BUY MY DIAMONDS hehehe
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 479
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk wrote:
They are still synthetic. My family has been in the jewelry industry for over 30 years now. Remember Moissanite? This was the closest thing to diamond, the colored moissanite looked great, but the white looked more yellow...even if we did get colorless in, not many people wanted them because they were not genuine stones.

There are tons of synthetic colored gemstones, much cheaper than the genuine stones, but hardly anyone purchases them because they are not genuine. Most people who want to fakes (synthetic) go to Walmart or some store like that.


They are not fakes, for the record, vetofunk. Just science able to mimic natures way of making these precious stones. GIA, IGI, EGL, and other grading laboratories certify a laboratory-grown diamond as a diamond, having the same physical, chemical and optical characteristics as a mined diamond.

zirconium, not moisanite, which is the closest thing to rare, yellow diamonds .

by the way, nobody have thoughts about orchids which your momma love to display in courtyards. its cultured as well and is grown in california's greenhouses. not from wild, rain forests of brazil. i believe sometime, "cultured" thing is better than nature. come think about it.
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I'm always happy to see and read more information about Gemesis.
I think it's great that the world has decided to look into the options which have long been a monopoly over a a certain portion of every persons life.

You know what ....You're so right.

1. everything you know about diamonds is what DeBeers has been promoting since the discover of a gemstone. (which in reality is not rare.)

2. The possiblity of changing the public perception lies not with Gemesis or Apollo but with the person who is purchasing something as a token of their love and devotion.

3. Damn there is definitely no guilt from purchasing a stone from Gemesis. NONE. I'm paid nicely and I love my working environment.:)

'
Thayk, if we ever need spokes person your name would be first on my list.
Truth is within the coming months radical changes in the guidelines for grading gemstones will be introduced by the GIA and other agencies. I think it will surprise a lot of people.

My fiance will a received a yellow stone as a engagement present. And for one minute I thought that it would go over like a brick in water.....but was I completely wrong. The fact that her friends noticed that the yellow stone was much more rare than the normal clear stones definitely gave her the edge on the conversation of rings. But, I think it was more the fact that she was getting engaged and that it was something special from the person that loved her. Not what the rating of the stone by DeBeers/

side note: she was happier to receive the washer and dyer combo. Which cost about the same amount.

It will take time to change people perception for the greatest marketing scheme in the history of man
  • vetofunk
  • A SEO GUY
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2243
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
vetofunk wrote:
They are still synthetic. My family has been in the jewelry industry for over 30 years now. Remember Moissanite? This was the closest thing to diamond, the colored moissanite looked great, but the white looked more yellow...even if we did get colorless in, not many people wanted them because they were not genuine stones.

There are tons of synthetic colored gemstones, much cheaper than the genuine stones, but hardly anyone purchases them because they are not genuine. Most people who want to fakes (synthetic) go to Walmart or some store like that.


They are not fakes, for the record, vetofunk. Just science able to mimic natures way of making these precious stones. GIA, IGI, EGL, and other grading laboratories certify a laboratory-grown diamond as a diamond, having the same physical, chemical and optical characteristics as a mined diamond.

zirconium, not moisanite, which is the closest thing to rare, yellow diamonds .

by the way, nobody have thoughts about orchids which your momma love to display in courtyards. its cultured as well and is grown in california's greenhouses. not from wild, rain forests of brazil. i believe sometime, "cultured" thing is better than nature. come think about it.


Fake was the wrong word. My whole point is this will never get anywhere. People want natural, from the earth, not made in a lab Diamonds. They have made perfect synthetic Alexandrite, Sapphire and other stones for years, that look better than the orginals, and 1/4 the price, but people are still more than not willing to pay for the natural stones because they are natural out of the ground. Will there be a market for these stone, of course, but will it ever take the place of DeBeer's diamonds, no.
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

vetofunk You did state that your family was in the jewel business. There for your commitment to the DeBeer Corp has been for more than generation, just like ever other jewelry in the world.

Will either of these companies take the place of a 100 year old monopoly? No
Will they take a precentage of a +8 Billion dollar worldwide industry with a viable option? Yes Just think 5% of 8 billion? thats definately not a bad paycheck

To date. Every stone which is created at Gemesis is spoken for/sold. We have nothing left over. Unlike the DeBeer, holding one of the most common gemstone from the earth, then creating your own supply and demand by not giving Jewelry's what they request or only a portion to keep the market hungry. IT's a great business plan and has worked for year. Why stop now? Honestly, the Oppenheimer family could get out the Diamond business today and wouldn't have to worry about money forever.

Bottom line: If you Girl wanted a Washer and Dyer combo as an Engagement gift instead of a diamond........Don't be a fool and follow tradition just because some company has one the greatest marketing programs and loads of money to push it. Do what she wants. In the end it's you that has to live with her. Not the Oppenheimer Family
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blackreign is your company just supplying the consumer or do you have plans for industrial uses also?
I could see the benefits of your stones vs natural in that case due to the low cost.
But I still think that if you perfect the "made diamonds" they could invite criminal intentions. If jewelers can't tell the difference between the stones and some one purchases stones from you and then descides to pawn them to a jeweler they stand to make a substancial profit even though it isn't honest.
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, our company is looking to that.

But companies like GE make loads of industrial diamonds and have been since the late 70s.

Well just like the US Mint, security measures will have to be in placed. BStealing uncut diamonds isn't a smart thing. The industry is close knit and talks. Especially Diamond Cutters and Polishers. And what we make are raw uncut lumps. Kind of worthless really.

But, we're a very new technology, a baby of a company that is only just starting. We are not creating truck loads of diamonds ..much the same as DeBeers is digging them up. We are not the Ford Assembly line of the Diamond business. lol

known Fact: Our stones are far more "rare" than natural one.

Side note all diamonds from DeBeers have certificates and are inscribed by laser (from what I read) If a jeweler wanted to make loads of money sell crystal or massonite.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
known Fact: Our stones are far more "rare" than natural one.

How is that possible? Your stones take a week or more to make? If you make two stones and stop technically the would fall under the "rare" definition, but you produce them when you want or to fill a need. Even "farm raised pearls" are more rare due to they still use nature to complete the proccess.
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not Sure if You answered you own question. But, yes that is one thought in the reasoning.

older article from Wired mag
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html
<By Joshua Davis, Wired Mag September 2003>

- It only takes 4 days.
- Gemesis grows Yellow, Orange stones regularly.
Check any chart on the rarity of those colors....Surprising Orange is more rare than Yellow. (if I'm not mistaken) But the rarest is Red. Which we have grown.
But, that is a different story. if you were to ask DeBeers why they don't market the more rare stones I'm sure the answer would be based on what they are digging and finding.

Like I stated before. My girl was a little taken a back from the pictures of her .75 carat, yellow stone , but her friends couldn't believe it was real because let's face it ....
How many people have even seen a real Yellow Diamond and haven't been told it's a fake?

I mean even it if it were and a jewelry or pawn shop noticed it they would say it was a fake and offer that person crap money for it just to obtain it and resell it as fast as possible. Yellow diamonds go for about $15k a carat > the criminal intent to rob customers is there.


2007 will be a huge year for the Diamond industry as we continue to grow from a little company to a contender/partner in Diamond business.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13511
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

blackreign wrote:
I'm an employee of Gemesis.


I'm calling bull *plum*.

If you're "on the inside", why are you feeding us crap from wired.com ?
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow. whats crap about an article by a magazine which focuses on future threads?

Not sure where that fits. I couldn't just sent you to http://www.google.com The article explained a questions that were asked by previous readers.

heck Wiki has a decent article.
You know what ....You're so right.

really people should read about the loads of possible uses of this technology. Bone up on that information and see where this is going?
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13511
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
wow. whats crap about an article by a magazine which focuses on future threads?


My point is, ANYONE could feed us that crap & claim to be an employee of one of the companies.

I'm calling bull *plum* on you, I don't believe you're actually an employee.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the term is shenanigans! How did I answer my questions about rareness of the stones with a question?
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
wow. whats crap about an article by a magazine which focuses on future threads?


My point is, ANYONE could feed us that crap & claim to be an employee of one of the companies.

I'm calling bull *plum* on you, I don't believe you're actually an employee.


Well, I'm sure there is no "real" way to prove this through the internet.

But, why would anyone waste time talking about a company that really very few people are paying attention to?

Oh wait, I could be part of some viral marketing company just cruising message brds and posting to boost the company website hits. :lol:(that's the likely answer)
http://www.gemesis.com, there



>Yes Sir You did answer your own question.

1. Colored Diamonds are freaks of nature.
2. Even in nature these stones are hard to find. But, I'm sure after the many years of mining Debeers has a collection of these stones. And since Gemesis produces these diamonds in such small numbers. The rarity is there. But the fact that we are create diamonds at the level of quality which is another item all together.
Based on the limited number of machines in operation.
As the company grows so will the number of machines.
But the the items produced will still be > COLORED DIAMONDS


Most jewelers never get to see a colored stone. It's not something that DeBeers just gives out to when jewelers put their lot request in. Your somewhat hand picked to receive stones such as yellows and pinks (which I personally think are horrible looking)
  • RUDOLF LOBO
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 27
  • Loc: U.A.E

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why don’t you send a mail to all the *plum* in your hood they would be more then happy to know all this *plum*


//edited to remove racist word. No racist remarks please.
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

RUDOLF LOBO wrote:
Why don’t you send a mail to all the *plum* in your hood they would be more then happy to know all this *plum*


//edited to remove racist word. No racist remarks please.




hmm, that might just work.

Seems like your a little bitter? Someone service you a cold cup of tea? Surely, this was posted to make us all smile. :lol:
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your stories are slightly confusing. You first claimed
Quote:
Like I stated before. My girl was a little taken a back from the pictures of her .75 carat, yellow stone
and then you said
Quote:
Your somewhat hand picked to receive stones such as yellows and pinks (which I personally think are horrible looking)

It is hard to believe that you would give your girl something you didn't like. Also if those are the colors that you guys make shouldn't you be supportive of them?
If you guys can't make clear stone then why go through such a proccess to claim they are "real" and just call them synthetic?
One more thing I keep on asking you to explain the rarity,and you answer with
Quote:
But, that is a different story

I wanted to know how in your companies mind are your stones rare?



P.S. all questions were not answered in this reply so please clairify if you can.
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your stories are slightly confusing. You first claimed Like I stated before. My girl was a little taken a back from the pictures of her .75 carat, yellow stone


and then you said "Your somewhat hand picked to receive stones such as yellows and pinks (which I personally think are horrible looking)"

It is hard to believe that you would give your girl something you didn't like. Also if those are the colors that you guys make shouldn't you be supportive of them?


>>
the comment was followed the after the "PINK" diamonds. To clarify that had nothing to do with Yellow Diamonds. The reason for the dislike for Pink colored diamonds are that it is not a thread, fashion or rarity. As you have notice in society you see pink diamonds (fake) on everything. The comparison reminds me of the days when lab created emeralds were introduced. It was a great marketing fad. But, now everything is Pink and Pink is the new Black.

I'm more that enthusiastic about our product. So much that I spend time on this message brd responding to questions and comments. Once again, I'm not part of some viral marketing company. So, my answers are from the heart.[/b]


If you guys can't make clear stone then why go through such a process to claim they are "real" and just call them synthetic?

>>>[b] No where was the statement made that we "can't" make clear stones.
Explain when would anyone open another McDonalds? Do we need another hamburger joint? Clear stones are plentiful in the wild. It is the colored stones which are more sought after. There for that is the focus of the company. The stones are not synthetic. They're are real as the ones you would dig in nature. In the Wired articles a lot of the common questions were answered. I suggest you give it a read. It will definitely give you better insight not only about our company but the diamond business as a whole.


One more thing I keep on asking you to explain the rarity,and you answer with that is a different story. I wanted to know how in your companies mind are your stones rare?

>>> Next time your at a jewelry store as to see their Yellow or Orange stones. I'm sure they will bring out the security guard and ask you to step back into a special room. Maybe the only place that would have any on hand would be Tiffany's.

So your answer.

Even in the diamond market, colored stones are very rare. Only DeBeers knows the actual number of colored stones that are found. And stones of that rarity are marked immediately. DeBeers are the guardians over the total number of clear/colored stones and only give so many to jewelers around the world. It's the control of supply and demand game. And Debeers is not sharing any of the profits with any other company. Since they own up to 80% of the diamond mining operations in the world.

> comparion: Apple + Ipod + DRM music.
vs
The Internet + Any Mp3 player + downloaded Music

But, the truth about mp3s, musicians, bands, djs is that there are countless numbers out there trying to make it in the business. But, only a few will go through the ceremony of receiving a gold record for accomplishment in record sales.
That doesn't mean that they are not a great musician or popular.
It just means that they didn't receive the stamp of approval by those who control the radio stations, award shows, ect.


With Gemesis our supply is limited based on the number of machines which the company operates. Which is far less than the number of Dump Trucks in the South African mines alone. So, if for some reason there was a ban on mining diamonds. Gemesis stones would still be less than .000000001 % of the market
[/b]


P.S. all questions were not answered in this reply so please clairify if you can.

Did I get them all this time?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Posts: 298
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blackreign wrote:
No where was the statement made that we "can't" make clear stones.


So You, as an employee are here officially stating that you can create a colorless diamond?

Blackreign wrote:
Next time your at a jewelry store as to see their Yellow or Orange stones. I'm sure they will bring out the security guard and ask you to step back into a special room. Maybe the only place that would have any on hand would be Tiffany's.

So your answer.

Even in the diamond market, colored stones are very rare. Only DeBeers know the actual number of colored stones that are found. And stones of that rarity are marked immediately. DeBeers are the guardians over the total number of clear/colored stones and only give so many to jewelers around the world. It's the control of supply and demand game. And Debeers is not sharing any of the profits with any other company. Since they own up to 80% of the diamond mining operations in the world.


So your company isn't trying to take away DeBeers stranglehold. You would rather use their so called control over the colored diamond market, by creating an imitation to capitalize on them.

Answer this: If colored stones are so rare, they must only account for a very small percentage of diamond sales. Wouldn't it be in your companies best interest to try to chip away at much larger share of colorless diamonds.

Dangles
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the big deal about Colorless diamonds?
Is it that they're prettier or just more common?
or Is it that fact that most people have never really seen a colored diamond and are unsure.

When Ben Afflek purchased a Pink diamond for JLo that stone made history. Women around the world wanted one. It was the greatest free marketing campaign ever. (maybe they paid him I doubt it)

Picture of JLo's Pink Diamond Ring from MTV Interview:</p>
Image


When

How can you break a strange hold on a industry which has been basically protected by the Crown itself? You can't.

But, You could gain market share. And be apart of the industry. Something they are having to learn and deal with for the first time.


Colorless diamonds have been mined for since the beginning of Rhodesia (SA) So there is on catching up with that massive storage. There are more that 7 major mines running in the country with digs which will produce loads more diamonds than we could ever grow. DeBeers could sell clear diamonds for a $1 a carat and still make money. As a matter of fact some of the cheaper "diamond" cocktail/promise rings are created just to fit a market segment. Those items are just chips of diamonds and the reason for giving the ring is more valuable that the diamonds in them it self. But that doesn't stop people from wanting a Diamond ring. It is a status symbol to the rich and poor alike.


But., Colored diamond carat price is exceptionally high and their quite rare. (controlled) So taking a percentage of that market is just smart business.
once again refer to my mp3 comment.

Music is a public good. meaning anyone can hear it. For a few record labels decided that music is a private good and could be controlled. And they have made large amounts of money controlling how/what/when the public will hear this media. But that control is being lost with the internet. The internet is replacing terra radio stations ( xm, sirrus, internet radio, personal streaming services) So the industry created a control measure to stop the loss. (DRM) The to gather the lawyers, congressional support and the RIAA to target "illegal downloads" I mean they didn't bother when people use to make tapes for friends and pass them around?! But, making a copy of the cd is bad. and shaing mp3 of that music is evil. But, really isn't this all about the musicians and the music?


I mean the only way to know is to walk into a Diamond store and ask to look at their colored diamond selection.
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Posts: 298
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Blackreign wrote:
What is the big deal about Colorless diamonds?
Is it that they're prettier or just more common?
or Is it that fact that most people have never really seen a colored diamond and are unsure.


Translation:

No we can't figure out how to make em clear, so we will try to purport our non clear diamonds on the same level as the uber rare true colored diamonds.



Blackreign wrote:
When Ben Afflek purchased a Pink diamond for JLo that stone made history. Women around the world wanted one. It was the greatest free marketing campaign ever. (maybe they paid him I doubt it)


Again, whether it was due to DeBeers or a true scarcity of colorful diamonds, no one is going to think that one of the Gemisis diamonds is as valuable as the diamond that a multimillionaire movie star purchased for his multimillionaire girlfriend.

You like analogies, so here is one.

One of the true status symbols of accomplishment is the Rolls Royce. These cars although not the most expensive in the world garner ohhs and ahhs by just about everyone who sees them.

Did the Chrysler 300 all of sudden make the RR less attractive? Did everyone go out and buy a 300 because now they could have an affordable RR looking car. Notice I didn't say a RR, but a RR looking car. These gems are not colorful diamonds, they are man made fabrications of colorful diamonds, and nothing more. It is irrelavent whether they used the same process as nature to create them or if they used another process. It still is not the same thing.


Dangles
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what ....You're so right.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

Image
LOL anyone find this to be a coincidence?
Thankyou for being so clear on how your diamonds are so rare.
These are the rare real ones.
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.color-diamond-encyclopedia.com


it doesn't take a phd to figure out that if you found 1 colored diamond while digging and finding massive amounts of white diamonds that if you controlled the release of them just as natural has limited creation of them....Your going to make money once the popularity/hype has been created.

Has anyone seen an Orange, Yellow diamond? Since they are not so rare. You wont see them being sold as that is one the color like others that are being held back from being released on the market until this market cools over the release of the few Pink diamonds to Actresses and Key Public people. Why do you think Jewelers "loan" jewelry to stars for the Grammys and other major awards shows which will be seen around the world? Free Publicity. All it takes is to have 1 picture and 1 write up and a close up in People magazine or any other tab. that has the "Best and Worse Dressed" and POW you name is famous. Shoot an interviewer asking, " that necklace is lovely! Who's it from?" and with some big busted/boot Actress and every dude is watching and every woman is say they want one also.

lol I remember when big butts were just in the Urban community. Now the Suburbs are talking about house round the butts are. The same goes for diamonds.

The only shame is that Hiphop is the major marketing tool for most pop culture items and Pink is cool right now. You let JayZ drop a Champange Diamond a verse and add another liquor company name and it's going to sell and be talked about.

Whoa, does anyone here know anything about Supply and Demand?
Promotions/Marketing or is this really just a site for web developers?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Posts: 298
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, now your being silly. You still have side stepped every question about clear or white diamonds. You keep harping on the colorful ones.

Lets talk supply and demand if you like.

Colorful diamonds are rare therefore they cost more. But you say they are only rare because DeBeers only releases them in small quantities. So therefore the rarity is created by DeBeers.

Now if you can create these so called "real" colorful diamonds, and release them into the market, the rarity will have been diminished thus the price will fall. So once you have brought enough of these colored diamonds into the market they will become common.
Now if you say your company will only produce small amounts to keep the rarity. Then sir you are as guilty as DeBeers and all this feather ruffling will be in vain. If you do not claim to limit the amount created, then by your own admission you would be killing the market that you are trying to get into.

Now who needs to learn about supply and demand?

Ok, lets get back into the clear or "white" diamond. Since very few people have seen a colorful diamond, most when thinking of a diamond think of that sparkling white diamond. If THIS market accounts for somewhere over 95% of the diamonds sold worldwide, your fabrication methods would not be able to markedly reduce the demand, but you would be able to fill a good portion, since DeBeers initially would still be keeping to their business model. While they only release X amounts of diamonds, you can be creating Y amounts of these diamonds and reap the benefits, without any real long term effects.

Hmm the more I think about it, I think you guys should fire your marketing team, because trying to enter the colored diamond market seems like a real bad idea.

But then if you can only create these supposed colorful diamonds I guess you really don't have much choice.

Dangles
  • Blackreign
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • Blackreign
  • Posts: 12

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know what ....You're so right.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 708
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Want a big diamond? Even at $4 a carrot Bill Gates couldn't even afford it!

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?newsID=993
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 479
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, this discussions about diamonds is becoming a "house of common" fracas... glad to have a discussion like that. my 1-year old only-son got a pneumonia so been gone for few days and missed a lot.

but one thing i have noticed. somewhere along the line, some rude and indecent comments had been thrown. sure guys, we cant win an argument by hurling insults and arrogance. i ask every poster, be him/her a newbie or a god, to maintain discussion on decent level. after all, this section of ozzu only provides space for intellectual posts as what Bigw stated on the home page. speak softly, then carry the big stick....

its good to have you here at ozzu blackreign. at least you have open a jewel case for us about diamonds and its market forces. thought i might say, i will never buy a diamond in my life (as a matter of personal philosophy, i should give to charity instead), be it a mined or cultured one, this thread as a diamond in itself.

i stressed however, that aside from being a piece of dangling sparkle on womens ears, diamond can be a potential material for semiconductors as well. anyone wants to discuss that is very much welcome.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy
  • Posts: 1181

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did mention it before and didn't get very far. If the stones are used for industry it would be a good deal. For whatever application mechanical or high tech, you would get the full benefit from the stones at a fraction of the price. I'm not familiar with dimonds and the high tech uses, but I know that the $45 diamond tipped saw blades or drill bits would be considerably cheaper.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3431
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only reasons "real" diamonds are as expensive as they are is because the people who mine them only release a certain percentage. If every diamond mined was released for sale they would be cheaper than these "fake" diamonds.

They keep them rare because that's what makes them expensive.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 41 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2016. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.