Recipe: Peach Cobbler Dump (super easy)

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

In talking with joebert and UPSGuy, I decided I'd post a recipe or two for dutch ovens (or whatever) from time to time to help stave off my own boredom and give the group something tasty to try.

Dutch Oven Dump Cobbler with Peaches

Ingredients
  • Two 15 ounce cans of sliced peaches
  • One box yellow cake mix
  • One can of Sprite or 7up or equivalent

First, drain your cans of peaches and save the syrup*. Then dump all the ingredients into your dutch oven and mix everything well. Preparation is done!

If you're using your dutch oven, heating is crucial. We're baking so we want an extra coal or two on top. For my ten inch dutch oven, I go with about 8 coals on bottom and 13 on top. For a 12 inch dutch oven, try about 10 on bottom and 14 or 15 on top. Every 15 minutes rotate the pot and the lid a quarter of a turn each. In about 60-90 minutes you'll be ready to eat! The key with dutch ovens is that you don't cook for specific amounts of time, you cook until its done. To see if it is done, test it like you would normally with a cake. Poke a wooden tooth pick in the center and pull it out, if it is gooey it needs more time but if it is clean it is ready. Serve warm with your favorite ice cream.

If you don't have a dutch oven, you can use a normal cake pan and the oven in your house too. Bake for an hour or so at 350 degrees.

*Tequila (1.5 ounces, preferably Patron Silver), Sprite (3 ounces), and left over peach syrup is awesome! These measurements are approximate, I usually just go by taste and add or remove quantities to make it how I like it.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You just made me realize that peach season is almost over and I didn't get any good peaches this year. Bummer.

Anyway, the recipe sounds good. Apéritif sounds good, too. I'm not sure I can do tequila, though. Maybe vodka? I think that could work.

Do you cook this in a hole or on a grill/smoker?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
You just made me realize that peach season is almost over and I didn't get any good peaches this year. Bummer.

Anyway, the recipe sounds good. Apéritif sounds good, too. I'm not sure I can do tequila, though. Maybe vodka? I think that could work.

Do you cook this in a hole or on a grill/smoker?

Vodka ought to work, but I've never tried it. For vodka, the best by far is Tito's but if you can't find that then Grey Goose will suffice.

I usually just cook it on the cement on my back patio. Start your charcoals in your grill or in a charcoal starter chimney, then arrange a few on the ground and set the oven on them and then put coals on top. This is a good guide (word document) for figuring the number of coals to use on top and bottom, but your results may vary depending on air temperature and wind and humidity and altitude.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I never realized you guys are also interested in baking!
That is a lovely surprise.
I'll try this one too.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

haha, I guess if you're doing it with coals in a hole in the ground, it's MANLY baking! We tend to undertake such tasks with at least one buddy and a 6-pack amongst us. :beerchug:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jenie0109 wrote:
That is a lovely surprise.

I struggle to make Beans on toast let alone anything else.

Although i did once make the best Scottish steak on a BBQ when i was in New Zealand. There is something with guys and BBQ's, we just seem to be naturally good at that sort of stuff. Everything else is more of a challenge.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Quote:
.....a 6-pack amongst us. :beerchug:

Or in this case a peachy flavored tequila beverage.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I guess boys will be boys. ^^

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts