Reflexive self-consciousness

• prav777
  • Born
  • Born
  • prav777

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reflexive self-consciousness is a concept, related to that of enlightenment, formulated by Eugene Halliday during the 1940s/1950s in England.

Eugene Halliday, made a lifelong study of art, religion, philosophy, psychology and science. From his understanding he formulated a coherent set of ideas. In his seminal work “Reflexive Self-Consciousness”, he sets out the nature of consciousness and its relation to the world of phenomena, being, and mankind. From this he explains how consciousness itself can become 'reflexive'. By this he means that consciousness becomes completely self-transparent and continuously aware of its own presence and nature.

He says that when observing a thing or situation we can promote this reflexive state by turning our own consciousness back onto itself. "It is the self, which is consciousness itself which is observing this thing, this self I am, I return to the self." By placing our nature as observer at the heart of his work, Halliday sets out a method by which to liberate ourselves from object-identification, which locks us into a cycle of conditioned reflexes, pleasure pursuit and pain avoidance (p 58).

Prav
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You think you included enough keywords? Right now by reflex I want to barf after reading that.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wait! There's a secret code in there! It's like when Lassie runs up to the little boy and starts barking and the boy says "What's that girl? Uncle Fred is trapped in the barn and its on fire?!?!"
  • greenfin1
  • Born
  • Born
  • greenfin1

Post 3+ Months Ago

its all above my thinking :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Women tell me to go turn my consciousness back onto itself all the time.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts