Register -> introduce -> leave ?

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whats up with all the people that take the time to register and then post a message in "Introduce Yourself", just to later disappear, never login again and don't reply to any "welcome here" message or post anything anywhere?

I mean why would anyone go through the register process for a forum if they plan on never posting? :o
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe there is a substantial amount of members who join because they want to spam their links. Once they join and try to post with links I think they realize that they cannot achieve what they want with Ozzu due to the aggressive measures we have in place to prevent signature and forum spam, so they move on to other places.

Our goal with Ozzu is to keep the quality of the forum high so that it is truly is a useful place for members, instead of clogged with noise from spammers.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

That may be why. I personally wouldn't register for a site if I have no plans on using my registration for something and I don't see why others would either. I personally find the restrictions a bit annoying now and then. Once was when I posted in an other thread: programming-forum/need-help-with-sql-join-t106008.html

people.p_id was originally people dot id. Witch was seen as a link so I had to alter it to send it. But I don't mind that much. Its better to fight spam then not to, is there some limit when a member is seen as a none spammer and can post links?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

150 posts and 3 months of membership gives a user full access to signatures and being able to post links.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think even now i feel that the 150 post limit is a bit excessive. Certainly keep the 3 months, but 150 might be seen as too big a hurdle to overcome.

Having been a moderator in the past i completely understand and appreciate why these measures are in place, and i also acknowledge how successful it was in tackling spam on the website, however there are many members who do join the site wanting to share their work while also contributing. Perhaps dropping it down to 75 or 100 would be less offputting for those members.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

well that may be a variable i would also like to point out the market that ozzu caters to are web masters and developers which have a tenancy to post more then a average user so 150 is a really not that bad for a active user and if they contribute they can clear 150 easy in 3 months which is 50 a month and 12.5 a week and 1.7 a day.

75 over 3 months is 25 a month 6.25 a week and 0.89 a day.

for a active contributing member i think the stats are fine for what they are.
  • panhead_chick
  • Born
  • Born
  • panhead_chick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi..I've registered, haven't introduced yet, but don't plan on leaving! I saw this site, it looked like something I could learn from. So far I've just begun to sift through some of the graphics & development questions. I'm an extreme beginner and eventually want to make a site for my husbands' and my vintage car/motorcyle repair and restoration.

I've never posted yet, wait, I guess I just did, but I promise I'm not going to just leave or be a spammer. I don't even have the computer capabilities to spam anyway! :)

Thanks - Cheryl - Panheadchick
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

panhead_chick wrote:
Hi..I've registered, haven't introduced yet, but don't plan on leaving! I saw this site, it looked like something I could learn from. So far I've just begun to sift through some of the graphics & development questions. I'm an extreme beginner and eventually want to make a site for my husbands' and my vintage car/motorcyle repair and restoration.

I've never posted yet, wait, I guess I just did, but I promise I'm not going to just leave or be a spammer. I don't even have the computer capabilities to spam anyway! :)

Thanks - Cheryl - Panheadchick

If you have any questions please post it up, we are a supportive community that will help users of any level.

Tip #1253 - When building a site for a business and even a restoration site needs to look very clean to repentant the quality done in the store. The more detailed the site is the more the consumer will think hey these guys look good. Even if a business is going down the drain the appearance is everything in web marketing. So editing a template could get you a budget site or hire someone to build one for you and keep it maintained, depending on budget. But just a thought you mite want to talk with your other half about.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I believe there is a substantial amount of members who join because they want to spam their links. Once they join and try to post with links I think they realize that they cannot achieve what they want with Ozzu due to the aggressive measures we have in place to prevent signature and forum spam, so they move on to other places.

Our goal with Ozzu is to keep the quality of the forum high so that it is truly is a useful place for members, instead of clogged with noise from spammers.

What measures did you implement?

I have feed website, and find some people also join, spam, leave.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

camperjohn wrote:
Bigwebmaster wrote:

What measures did you implement?

I have feed website, and find some people also join, spam, leave.

i am sure URL links are blocked till you reach 100 posts or something, so if you post it just scrambles. If you have a word replace mod you can set something easy like replace http with hxxp or make the custom mod that URLs with lower ranked users are blocked on post. mite need to ask the Big Webby
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

First I put more measures in place to make sure robots weren't the ones signing up including a Captcha, Question and Answer, and a couple of other things. There are still human spammers though, so that only stops the computers who try and join. Once a members is in the forum the three month restrictions and posting limits have helped demotivate many other members who were only here for one reason: to spam links. What we have left over is mostly members who are wanting help or to help others.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Between the source code and staff, it is rare to find lots of spam here so something has to be working haha but good work to everyone at ozzu.

Spam Spam Spam Spam.............lol.... I used to have a handle "Spam" back in the day.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts