Relation between screen resolution and visit times ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've started to notice what might be a relation between the screen resolution and the amount of time spent on pages by visitors on my blog via Google Anlytics.
With 1024x768 being the oddball in third place above a few odd larger resolutions, it seems as though visitors with larger screens tend to spend more time on a page.

I'm taking these results with a grain of salt at the moment because it's a pretty small sample of the Internets visitors at about 100 people per-day.

I do think it's interesting enough to see if anyone else sees a trend like this on their own sites though. :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you think that's because a larger resolution is easier to see?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was actually thinking that people with larger screens would have larger attention spans. Hence the reason why they got the larger screen in the first place.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would think those with large screens are more willing to pay for such things and are more computer literate than those with normal screen sizes ... the almost-illiterate tend to stick to the well known sites and thus may spend less time on other sites ...

meh ... probably wrong, but that was my first thought ... I reckon both Don and you Joe have valid points as well :D
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe yes, people with larger screens are generally more computer literate, I have a 1680x1050 resolution, and I know I spend a lot of time on some sites where other people wouldn't and I think the following is my reason, I tend to open up every site in a different tab, and work my way through from left to right, I do that with OZZU aswell, I open up one forum (eg: General Discussion) and then I open up all the unread topics in new tabs, that way I stay on longer as most people and also I have a 22" wide screen so I have space for lots of tabs ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do about the same thing with my tabs, RT. But not on all sites.

At Ozzu & places with something similar to the "Unread Posts" Ozzu has, I tend to open up a few items in new "Background tabs", usually enough to fill my browser windows' tab bar because I don't like when it starts shrinking tabs to make room nor do I like tabs I have to use an arrow or something to get to.
Then I go through those tabs in order of urgency, followed by order of curiosity. I close each tab once it's been dealt with. Once all of them have been gone through I refresh the Unread listing to see if there's anything new then I mark anything left read & finally close that original tab.

// Edit -- I'm on something like an 18" monitor with a 1280x960 resolution.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that's the same thing I do ... I hate that little arrow thingy on the side to switch between tabs ...

[offtopic]
I really wish I could drag tabs on my windows start bar like in FF ... that would've been really cool, because I like having things I work on in order ...
[/offtopic]
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Come on! surely it's because they've got a larger area to drag the mouse along? ;)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB, that almost makes sense until you think about how long it takes to move the mouse from one side of the screen to the other.
Well at least for me. I have my mouse sensitivity to the point that about 3/4 of an inch gets the mouse from one side to the other. I've been on some systems where I have to pick the mouse up a few times to make it across the screen though.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts