renewable energy.

• wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, ive been watching a few programs on this kind of thing recently,
in you personal opinions how much progress along the lines of cleaner/ renewable energy do you see happining over the next generation or so?
do you think we will soon wake up to the need to progress on these issues, or do you feel that not enough effort is or will be put into this area as should be?

just curious to hear peoples thoughts really,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting idea for a discussion.

I think the technologies exist, but without real proof of economic viability.

Take recycling as an example. 15 or 20 years ago (or so) when recycling first started becoming a reality, those people who really supported it were promising an industry that would provide an invaluable service and that would pay for itself. That has turned out, thus far, to be untrue. However, from the same time period some folks thought hybrid/electric automobiles were a fanciful dream and that they would never be a reality. Again, that's turned out to be untrue.

The crux of converting to a clean, renewable energy source is going to rely on several factors. Providing consumers with a seemless transition at an equivalant price. Getting established energy providers to convert with their profitability in tact. Making implementations of new technologies wide spread and not just novel little expirements.

Another consideration is lesser developed countries in the world whose reliance on 'old world' energy sources is growing rapidly.

Lot's of questions and very few answers, but I think change will come, just VERY slowly.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funding is usually never a problem when inventing new types of renewable/cleaner energy.

Companies that start the production of new, better types of energy usually receive money by means of government funding. I don't think we will find a new cleaner/renewable source of energy but, instead we will improve on our current sources of energy.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

We can pay a little extra on our bills here and get our energy from a renewable source. However upon speaking to someone higher up in the energy industry told me that the fine print says it's not guarenteed...
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

there have been numerous patents for this very type of technology, and repeatedly, the big oil companies purchase the rights to these patents to save themselves from extinction.

im looking forward to the time when they are able to harness the power of hydrogen from water, they arent far away from it and i know it is being worked on just dont know how far along they are...
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

its funny you should mention that guru, ive heard before about oil companies buying ideas out to keep in buisiness.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

The more reliable wind generation becomes the more it will provide power for parts of california.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome back MD :D xo
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm,
iv'e seen some interesting ideas concerning offshore wind farms for the UK, i do think wind power is a promising source of renewable energy, but will only come into its own over here in the UK when either the turbines can be situated offshore or when people become more tolerent of the noise/visual pollution they create on land,

hows opinion concerning Nuclear power among us all ? thats usually a hightly debated topic.
  • Dragoris
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Dragoris
  • Loc: Erie, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

GE and another company (sorry forgot the name, check it out in popular science) have begun research on a type of "modified" combustion technology. This new tech will first only be available for planes i belive. The idea is; it will be like a continuos chain reaction combustion, i.e. the ignition sequence would repeat its self continually. This short burst tech. would use less fuel and after the "combustion bursts" add up the power will multiply. Also there is more than one chamber for a combustion burst i belive that there are 6 different combustion burst chambers, this would give a chain gun effect. This tech would make fuel 4 times as efficient i belive. Since this tech would require less fuel, our automobiles wouldn't be gas guzzlers ne more and we also get the added benefit of getting more power. there's no trade off :) but this tech is Still under development (as far as i know)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

My physics teacher wanted to remove himself from the grid completely. He talked to a guy and that would cost 40'000 dollars. Basically, it was very possible, but quite unplausable, because it would not pay for itself for manyyears, about 45 years I believe.

I think it'd be a great thing to be able to be off the power grid, maybe when I become rich and notsofamous I'll do it to my house! :-D
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dragoris wrote:
The idea is; it will be like a continuos chain reaction combustion, i.e. the ignition sequence would repeat its self continually. This short burst tech. would use less fuel and after the "combustion bursts" add up the power will multiply. Also there is more than one chamber for a combustion burst i belive that there are 6 different combustion burst chambers, this would give a chain gun effect. This tech would make fuel 4 times as efficient i belive. Since this tech would require less fuel, our automobiles wouldn't be gas guzzlers ne more and we also get the added benefit of getting more power. there's no trade off :) but this tech is Still under development (as far as i know)

That is more commonly referred to as a jet engine. basically the jet engine has four stages to it. As long as there is fuel it will sustain itself. The first stage is the fan stage (suck), the next stage is the compression stage (squeeze), then the combustion stage (bang). In the combustion stage the combustion cans are usually in a circle around the drive shaft that runs the length of the engine. Then finally the exhaust stage (blow). The blow stage usually has to sets of fans the first set drives the compressor section of the engine thru a shaft. The second set of fans drive the front fan (suck part of engine) thru an inner drive shaft of the one mentioned for the compressor section. Also off of the compressor stage is usually a shaft that runs straight into an accessory gear box that powers the electricity, fuel pumps, hydraulic pumps, and just about anything else that can be ran off of gears. So with four little words you can remember how a jet engine works (suck, squeeze, bang, blow). Really the only negative things about a jet engine is the noise level, and the possibility of it coming out of balance (out of balance means it shells out) and then it's not good to be with in a 100 yards of the engine. Enjoy :D that conculeds my lesson on jet engines for today.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes I remember your suck, squeeze, bang, blow spiele somewhere else ;)
  • thevirus
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • thevirus

Post 3+ Months Ago

when they are able to make computers the size of what the microchips they make not fusion energy will be possible. Then for every mile you travel you will have another galon. It works like the sun does. I gaurentee we wont see this in our lifetime but it is in the future
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

a guarentee? hmmmm. What do we get if your wrong?

:P
  • thevirus
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • thevirus

Post 3+ Months Ago

you get a cookie :evil: lol jk but I think it will happen

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts