RIAA

• Kevin Doan
  • Kevin Doan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you know that the RIAA is so desperate that they are suing a 12 year old for $30,000? The RIAA are such ********.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeppers, heard about it, but you didn't catch the whole story, the settled with the little girl for 2 grand.

It just proves what this nation is really all about.

//edit; and that the law really is blind.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard someone is suing the RIAA, I am glad. I do not like the RIAA.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

also the RIAA is just pissed off because they are loosing money from sales of other peoples music, its not like they are actually writing composing or singing the music. If it is such a big deal, the actual artists should be suing.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are basically using the filesharing networks as scapegoats to why profits are down. Do they not realize that profits are down all over the place for all types of business? Uh duh, economy is bad right now. Maybe give the customers what they want and make it affordable. Usually most want one to two songs, yet they make people pay full price for a huge album of songs they do not even want.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard one cd publisher (is that the right term?) Is lowering the srp to 10$
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Opensource 4 life ~ oh ya and file sharing to...
RIAA will never stop the Linux supervilen!
Ill be downloading my free mp3's till the day I die...
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just because you use open source doesn't mean it's legal to download certain mp3s Nego...

The organization suing the RIAA is the Webcaster Alliance: http://www.webcasteralliance.com/modules/news/. And it's more directed at Internet Radio laws, fees, and royalties. I met with Brian Hurley (gave a talk with Ann Grabriel of Webcaster Alliance at Defcon XI, runs Detroit Industrial http://www.detroitindustrial.org/) in person and we talked for a couple hours over some drinks about their lawsuit. It looks like something the RIAA can't back out of, but it's only just started... it'll be a while before some results show through.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
They are basically using the filesharing networks as scapegoats to why profits are down.
maybe they should reconsider their products?? i think the music industry, in general,
is terrible right now.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you want one or two songs, check out the apple music store, that was a great legal idea. I guess 0.99 per song adds up, but it's an alternative to purchasing full cds.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that is a good idea. I think it would also be a great idea if music stores adapted and allowed you to choose your 70 mins worth of legal music. Once you have picked out your music, they would compile them all onto one cd for you at the store and you would pay regular price. All being legal. I would love this idea and it would also show that they are more concerned about supplying the customer with what they want, instead of making you pay for things you do not want that happen to come along with the song on the album.

Anyway this would have two good affects. The customer would be more inclined to buy songs because overall it would be cheaper for them because they are only paying for what they want, and second it would force artists to actually make more songs people like, instead of filling up their cd with a bunch of junky songs. Since people would be able to choose exactly what songs they want on the cd, artists would have to create better content if they actually want people to buy it.

Anyway that is just my :my2cents:
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

No one can stop the Linux supervilen!
I-l-l-e-g-a-l, wuts that? :roll:
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: California (Land Of The Cackling Sun)

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, no matter how cheap they make CDs, MOST people would still rather rip-off the music then pay for it. I think what the they're doing to people is somewhat wrong, but I have no delusions that what I am doing isn't wrong as well.
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: On a mountain

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well right or not, suing a 13 year old? Thats taking it a bit too far i think....
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course...because 12 year olds are above the law??

Yes, it is actually sort of silly to sue a 12 year old, but they were still breaking the law. Although I would of thought the RIAA would try to avoid such an embarrassment, but I guess they rather set an example. I just thought it was stupid that they tried to pretend she had NO IDEA that it was stealing. Ha! I remember when I was 12, I knew exactly what I was doing when I stole. Mwuhaha.

Like I said, I have no delusions about what I am doing. it is wrong. There’s nothing I can say that would justify this thief. RIAA is being an asshole, and so are we.
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I agree 100% with your thoughts, but suing the child? Would it not be a better example to go after the parents for allowing the child open access to do what he is doing?

Seems to me if that started happening then parents might start wising up a little.
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you mean? If it happened to the child, then it’s really happening to the parents. I mean she’s underage, anything that she does wrong “legally” isn’t her fault, it’s her parents. Her parents paid the $2,000, she didn’t. What could they possibly have done differently?
  • nuclei
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but the suit itself was not in their name. and the child being a minor it would not affect them. However, nobody wants court cases, no matter the outcome associated with their name.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts