Right spelling, wrong word

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spell checkers are great, especially the ones that put squiggly red lines under bad words as you type. What about the times when you just type the wrong word though ?

For instance instead of having

Quote:
You can take the tram or the donkey, it is the same price

You end up with

Quote:
You can take the tram or the donkey, it is the save price

It's spelled right, so it's out of the hands of the spell checker. It's not the correct word though, it doesn't even make sense. I think what is happening is that the person typing has saving on the brain as they're typing, so the wrong word slips in being similar as it is.

I think it should be possible to check sentence logic just like it is possible to check spelling.
Anyone seen anything to check sentence logic before ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think about that no matter what I'm typing. MS Word does grammar checks as well (green lines) but don't forget, all that creates, what's commonly known as bloatware. Wow, there is no red line under bloatware. I guess it's a real word.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I think we all need to be a little more self-reliant on getting things right and less reliant on having checkers tell us what we should have paid attention to in the first place.

Look at what texting, chat and the like has done for spelling, grammar and syntax in the last 15 years. It's really pathetic.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If a building were constructed like the English language it would be condemned but people who only speak English & nothing else don't understand that. Spanish & Italian are far more "fonetic" & make much more sense. I heard but don't know if it's true, that President Roosevelt wanted to change the spelling but never did.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can computer reay be experted to be able to tell if it is the wrong word after all they only put a red underline on words that are not in there DB's so how they could tell if it was right in terms of grammar I don't know. Also just because a red underline is under a word does not mean it is wrong for example fieldset gets a red underline under it but it is right just not for the spell checker.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's the program, not the PC, that determines correct spelling or correct grammar. Of course, it's as only good as the programmer who wrote it. Remember the old saying, garbage in, garbage out.
  • addaminsane
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

this typically only happens to me when im rushing something which means i don't really care and no ones gonna see it anyways
  • HelgaValerie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • HelgaValerie

Post 3+ Months Ago

well it is very difficult to make how we speak obey some strict rules. I think the spell checker must check only spelling, because if it tries to check the sentances, there will be nothing but mistakes. What we say is often abstract and absurd, every langugage is full of idioms. Besides, if there is such a checker everywhere, with time people will stop generating and creative writing and stuff like that.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

MS Word checks grammar. So far it's the only program I know that does.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think the spell checker must check only spelling, because if it tries to check the sentances, there will be nothing but mistakes.

If we can't create a program that can check sentence structure, we need to fire every Language Arts teacher in the school system.

If we can teach kids this stuff, there is no reason we can't program a computer to do the same, and get it right more consistently.
  • HelgaValerie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • HelgaValerie

Post 3+ Months Ago

we definitely can teach kids stuff, but language is not math, and sometimes the general rule can be broken by author in purpose, for example to emphasize the meaning. even more, how people speak changes depending on where they speak and when. What is good for American will be full of mistakes for English, and so on
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was looking around the web today and came across this google wave program (god know what its meant to do it looks like goggles attempt at an IM program) anyway it is meant to understand the difference between "I no him" and "I know him" not seen it in action its not out yet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts