Riots

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may or may not have heard about rioting around several cities in UK over the last couple of days. It started off in London and last night spread to other large cities in England.

I started to think last night what the meaning behind all this was as there was no real motive. People were doing it for no apparent reason. I saw a blog on Tumblr created by someone in Birmingham, a city that last night became victim to the riots, and the blogger left a blog which more or less summed up exactly how i felt about the whole situation.

Quote:
It’s easy to dismiss the rioters as “scum with nothing better to do” but there are much deeper problems here. As a young, male, ethnic minority in the inner city myself, chances are, I probably know some of these people. I can relate to the feelings of helplessness. I’ve been fortunate enough to be successful as a musician myself and been able to create my own positive future, but these kids rioting don’t see themselves having a future at all. They have been failed by society as a whole, they’ve been failed by the government cutting arts funding and closing youth centres, unemployment is rife to the point where even the ones desperately trying to seek work simply can’t find it, and the boiling point to all this (Mark Duggan events) is a situation that is VERY REAL. I myself have been stopped and searched many times by police for no given reason. They raided my apartment at 6.30 in the morning once while my wife and I were asleep claiming they’d had reports of a disturbance. I’ve been questioned for gang activity that I had no part of, because of how I look and where I come from. It’s simple racial profiling, and whilst that is NOT an excuse for the behaviours of rioters, the sad fact is that it happens.

We live in pretty desperate times as a whole, and the inner city youth are at the bottom of the barrel. So whilst this behaviour IS disgusting, try and have some compassion and relate to fellow human beings who literally feel hopeless and don’t see a way out. When you think about, the right emotion to feel in some of the cases is just sadness and pity - kids robbing a flat screen TV when they see an opportunity to… because they know they’ll never be able to afford it. Is a kid robbing some trainers that different to a corrupt politician fiddling the expenses accounts, or corrupt policemen and journalists taking bribes (as we’ve seen in the phone-hacking scandals?). So what kind of example are those people setting?

Remember, most of these kids looting ARE just opportunists. It’s only the really violent ones smashing the windows, the rest just go in after them and take what they can. I have faith in humanity and I don’t think that most of these kids are bad people. I really don’t. They are the lost ones, neglected and marginalized, in many cases without the basic education to understand that there are better ways to go about life.

You don’t have to condone their actions to have some compassion and to ask yourself, is there anything I can do to help? Even if there isn’t - ranting and dismissing them as animals isn’t going to help. The latter is precisely why many of them act the way they do. I’m not saying you can’t be angry at what they’ve done…but I think we all owe each other a few minutes thought at exactly why things like this happen.

Just my own personal thoughts and opinions. You don’t have to agree, but hopefully you can respect them and my right to have them.

It seems events in Birmingham might be calming, so hopefully I won’t have to continue this blog much longer, if at all. We’ll see how the events unfold. Remember to stay safe, folks. I need to take a break and have a drink and when I come back, hopefully there won’t be a need to report further. I can’t say that’ll definitely be the case, but let’s all hope so.

Peace.

Source: Birminghamriots2011

This ties in with ex-Mayor of London and Mayoral Candidate Ken Livingston's comments regarding people having a feeling of "disengagement". It seems like the only people who haven't been affected by the budget cuts the UK has had over the last year are the upper-class...something that surprises not many people when you consider the government we have at the moment.

Coincidently, the last time there were riots like this in the UK was when the same political party were last governing the country.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have seen this on the news in the last few days, but just thought it was a bunch of crazies since there are so many terrible things going on in this world right now. Actually took the time to read the above and it does give insight into what may be happening. All kind of goes along with how many people are getting hurt by our global economic problems right now, the ones who hurt the most are probably these sorts of people.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

As i read the quoted text i am tending to believe more of that in parts than the whole message.

It has alot to do with the "lost generation" that has arrived in the UK. There are loads of kids that don't have a stable family unit, but it isn't all to do with the kids.

The UK did some pretty drastic cuts to the budgets which included cutting the funding for city councils as well as other little side things that aided certain areas. With the cut backs in the councils they have had to cancel some of the youth projects which was put in place to support some of the youths that had unfortunate upbringings. With not alot of things for these kids to do they have jumped onto the initial riots in the Tottenham area of London a few days ago and it's become a problem that the UK is dealing with.

I've noticed that the way the media has reported it today has been significantly different to how it's been reported for the last few days. It was reported as more of a "shock and awe" and in a way almost glorified it in a way. Today it is all about how the average joe is waking up in the morning and grabbing their brush to go out and clean up. They seem to be reporting about any violance tonight in a lesser scale to the last few nights and it is giving off the impression to a viewer like myself that the rioting has finished. A few days of this people will likely forget about it and the police will be in control again.

With that said, i heard there were disruptions in Edinburgh. This would be the first Scottish city involved in the riots, however i've heard contrasting stories from a few of my friends that stay in the city. It's probably an increased police presence which is normal for August due to the world famous International Arts festival that is currently taking place.

Big questions have to be asked, the government needs to stop hiding from the issues and accepts that the cut backs they have done are unfortunately further damaging this "lost generation".
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, for goodness sakes! it's all started in my beloved Edinburgh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW0356brnrE&feature=player_embedded
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pAC0YSmK0g&feature=player_embedded#at=246

I thought this was fantastic.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen his stuff before. I haven't even seen the video, but i imagine he will be blurting some stuff without out actually providing any traceable facts.

Incredibly opinionated and very racist.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It made sense to me.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that i've seen it i actually think this is one of his better videos. I agree with the vast majority of what he said and despite thinking he would go along the race route he seems to have avoided that.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

He reminds me of George Galloway.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think some of the youth in America are the same way, they just haven't started rioting yet. There is this overwhelming sense of entitlement and no desire to work hard for anything. They blame everyone else for their problems. It is sad and makes me weep for the future.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just cannot imagine the US will ever be as bad in rioting as it was in London a few days ago. I couldn't believe how bad it was. The amount of lawlessness was amazing, and to think the media were reporting it in the way they were. I have not heard of any riots over the last 2 nights now, i find it hard to believe it has finished just like that.

The level of cutbacks the UK has had and the pace in which it all happened is pretty overwhelming. The thing that doesn't help is that there is this atmosphere in the UK with voters losing any trust in all politicians. It's been like this for years, but the expenses scandal a couple of years ago and recently the corruption in the media and police has really damaged the atmosphere. People are starting to hate more, and to an extent people are so angry with the way things are that they are more likely to be one of the rioters/protesters.

It is times like these though that i am glad i am from Scotland and not England. There are similar social issues in Scotland as there are in England yet there were no protesting here. For that reason i am particular keen on denying the use of "Britain" or "UK" when it comes to the riots. The only country that had riots was England.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I couldn't believe it when i saw this footage which was filmed on one of the first riot days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNh-fTv1Gm8
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of the discussions brought up since the riots is "what can the police do to prevent this from happening again?". Alot of people are blaming the lack of police activity for this happening, however there is such a society nowadays where Police officers are afraid to being too heavy handed that they may be sued.

Others are actually being incredibly sympathetic to the police officers. This video is very well put together and shows many images from the rioting in England over the last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAtayTaQox8&feature=player_embedded

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts