Room mates?

• RocknRoll
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey just curious as to who here lives with a room mate or with multiple room mates...

How do you guys go about organizing and splitting shared living expenses easily and without much hassle?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live with three roommates. We pretty much just all chip in for common things (TP, cleaning supplies, beer) and buy everything else individually.

We live in an on-campus apartment maintained by the university, so we each pay rent individually and things like utilities are automatically covered by it.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still live with my parents and they get everything for me........ jk
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live with my Dad and we go halves in everything.
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a roommate and since she has her own bathroom, we keep everything seperate. Even in the fridge. It's best that way we are never wondering "Who finished the milk and didn't buy more"??

I let her have stuff like soap and TP and sugar and stuff for free, since she pays me enough to cover that.
  • MUWhahahahaha
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London/New Zealand

Post 3+ Months Ago

I live with 3 others, we each pay our share of the monthly costs, rent, power, water, internet, sky tv and council tax, so my weekly rent is £75 - Then we buy our own food. We each have a cupboard or two and a shelf in the fridge so items don't get mixed up.

It has worked well for us, I know of other people who have a group shopping and put in so much every week to go towards grocery's, then every thing is shared amongst all the house mates - but I prefer buying my own food.

stuff like sugar and loo paper that is used by everyone is sorted by each week someone is to purchase those items. So once a month I have to buy toilet paper and sugar. and the other weeks its up to someone else in the house. But we are all pretty good, and if we notice that we have run out of something, maybe something like milk or TP, no one is too tight to go and get some for everyone.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just sharing a place with one other guy last year and we both paid our own seperate rent to the property owner. Electricity & Gas bills were split 50/50. When it came to the telephone bill we split the cost of line rental and then the rest of the call costs we paid what we used.

When it came to food, it was just a case of paying for our own. Sugar we'd usually share but things like Milk we bought our own.

It was a good setup and caused no problems at all.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

MUWhahahahaha wrote:
weekly rent is £75 .

wow, that is about 500 in my country :shock:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything is expensive here. Going by our national minimum wage here in the UK we would have to do about 15 hours a week just to pay that rent. 15 hours isn't so bad, but you also take into consideration the full time hours at you get at uni plus extra study and courswork time and it can sometimes take it's toll (depending on what you study, i guess).
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

what kind of work do you do to work for only 15 hrs a week ?

that's awesome.
Quote:
take into consideration the full time hours at you get at uni plus extra study and courswork time and it can sometimes take it's toll (depending on what you study, i guess).

i " Understand " that , it's very tight ! very not schedule feasible;

i dun have a fixed employment..i work as a part-time consultant,and in my free time i write newsletters to keep intouch with my clients, it's extremely tight, consider the time for assignments , sleep, food, relax...
  • MUWhahahahaha
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a bit of a shock when I first got here - £75 in New Zealand (where I'm from) dollars is about $220, which is about the average rent for a 2 bedroom house.

But since I started earning £'s its not too bad. Plus I'm living in London, which isn't cheap anyway.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I completely overlooked the fact you were from New Zealand and your post was in £'s. I thought you were in New Zealand going by a post of yours in the Lake Takepo post i left (and your current Ozzu location info).

It's good for you though as when you do fly back to New Zealand you'll be feeling good financially. It's a great feeling knowing that you are better off coming from the UK to places like the USA, Australia and New Zealand.

I wouldn't have gone to New Zealand or Australia recently if it wasn't for the fact that the exchange rate was (at the time) so damn good.
  • MUWhahahahaha
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm from New Zealand, haven't been in England for long - here on my OE.

Thats if I have any money left when I decide to return home!!
But your right, when I go back to NZ at least I will be gaining a bit on the £'s I left with - so hopefully ill have a bit to keep me going till I find a job etc when I go home.
  • jv17
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jv17
  • Loc: Miami

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah me also i lived with my roommates and its cheaper to have one because im sharing the payment with them..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts