Router Problem

• paulk
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • paulk
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone here is well familiar with routers? I'm having a problem. There are 2 computers hooked up to my router D-Link and everything was working fine until few nights ago. Suddenly I get a message "Network Cable has been disconnected" and at the same time i look at the router lights and its like the router resets. As soon as that happens the router then turns back on and I gain my internet connection back for maybe 1minute then it does the same thing over again. When i unplug the router from my PC, the other PC however is not having this problem when my pc is unplugged from the router. And the problem is not with my network card or cable modem, they all work 100%, i have tested them. I think its something wrong with my PC, anyone here have any clue what might be going on?

-Paul
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

routers == the lesser evils.

I hate them!!! My family has gone through two and the third one looses its connection atleast twice a day. Its a PITA, but for five dollars more a month it isn't really worth another IP. And then not all of our computers would be hooked up.

As for help (thanks for letting me vent) I am not sure, sounds like you are using XP, have you tried repairing your connection in the network settings (or something similarly named).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a bad cable. Reverse the cable and see if the problem switches to the other computer. If it does, replace the cable. I don't think there's really anything else that would do that. At least that's the very first thing I would look at.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try ANTO solution first, but if that doesn't work take the router back and exchange it for a new one :D simple and easy, other than that you could try and upgrade the firmware of the router and see if that helps out. If not exchange it and get a new one.
  • Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds very much Like you have a cable problem.

My friend had problems with her computer and the Lan connection.

To test the cable either switch it to the other computer or try and look at the back, on the port it connects into and see if the little green light comes on when the cable is plugged in.

The problem on my friends set-up was that the cable was intermittently connecting and replacing the cable solved the problem. It had the same symptoms too. :)

But Check everything before spending money :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts