Rugby World Cup 2011

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know typically Rugby isn't a sport followed by many in the USA, especially with the new NFL season kicking off many won't take alot of interest in it. However the Rugby World Cup is due to start this weekend in Rugby loving New Zealand.

In America you will be able to see some of the Rugby games as a TV deal was struck. Some believe this may well help boost the popularity of the sport in America. I for one don't see why it never did "kick off" like other sports have especially as American Football is such a big sport.

Source: BBC Website

Will you be following the tournament at all?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• _primordial
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • _primordial

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gut-wrenching result for Scotland over the weekend. I'll certainly be watching yet another terribly friendly game :-/ between the old enemies next weekend over a bowl of cornflakes and a pint of beer.

Good luck, you'll need it!

Let the banter begin ;)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen interest in rugby picking up here (it also helps that Seattle has a team). I was at an Irish pub downtown Saturday night and the place was PACKED with people watching one of the matches. Can't remember which though..
  • _primordial
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • _primordial

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ireland have played a blinder beating Australia, one of the heavyweights and throwing all the expected knock-stages out of sync. They are riding high at the moment and a good outside bet.

The favourites are the 'All Blacks', New Zealand who are also the hosts. England clash with Scotland this weekend with the winner going through to the quarter finals. Scotland lost an amazing game to Argentina last weekend by 1-point. Argentina scored in the final minutes, really sickening. I suspect SB is still being sick in the toilet.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know I got sent one of the Rugby games a couple years ago by a friend that worked on it, and have never played it. Can also say I have never watched a game of it either. I'll have to check it out.
  • _primordial
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • _primordial

Post 3+ Months Ago

Our version of American Football I suppose.

We'd win in a drinking contest but not sure who'd win in a fight :hmm:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

_primordial wrote:
I suspect SB is still being sick in the toilet.

:lol:

I think you've got to remember, being a Scotland fan is sort of like this all the time. I remember the game i saw between Scotland and Ireland at Murrayfield in Edinburgh at the beginning of the year and it was all Scotland in the last 15 minutes of the game. It ended up with only a few points in it for Ireland... these things happen. What a great atmosphere though!

The game against England is going to be a good one. I'd be interested in seeing how Andy Robinson (Scotland head coach who is English) is treated IF Scotland knock England out of the world cup. Surely he'd be struggling to live in his homeland after this game if it goes in Scotland's favour?

_primordial, i don't know your nationality but i'm going to assume you'll be rooting for England?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts