San Diego State University Website help

• Chief_of_Information
  • Chief_of_Information

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have a second I have a question for you and would really appreciate the help.

I was just given the position of updating my schools website http://www.absc.sdsu.edu/ and I have no idea how to do it. I know XHTML like the back of my hand but that is it. I have built a few basic pages in my computer classes but I have never hosted or published a site to the internet. My question is how would I go about making changes to update the site. I was given a username and password for the ABSC on our schools email server (rohan). I was told the site was ran on a server on rohan? Is this possible? To me, a new publisher, I am thinking that means o I have a gmail email account, now I can publish/update a site through google. MAybe it is possible that the server is through rohan though because it is our schools email system, and the site is a .edu site...?

If you could send me a response I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Jeff
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do the user name and password they gave you work to log in via FTP? You would need that to be able to update the site, I would think.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I think the username and password you were given are probably for FTP access to the site ... which means you can use an FTP program like CoreFTP to access the files on the server ... if you don't want to use a program, you can also use Internet Explorer by just typing in the ftp address in the Address Bar ... By default your FTP address should be ftp://ftp.absu.edu ...
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is down at the moment but if you're concerned about your own limitations I strongly suggest you ask for a 'dev server'. Virtually any old PC can be configured as a web server and you can learn/test on that box before uploading anything new. It maybe a learning curve but it's not huge, sounds worse than it is.

Good luck.

Cheers, Prime... :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts