• blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

pretty interesting site, will definitely explore more later
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

A shame that some people have nothing better to do than contemplate the end. Life is to be enjoyed, not spent wondering if you are gonna be here tomorrow.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A shame that some people have nothing better to do than contemplate the end. Life is to be enjoyed, not spent wondering if you are gonna be here tomorrow.

true. :lol:

let me bring in a famous quote .. haha
"happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel"

:lol:
  • mordecai
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mordecai

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay and ur point of this site would be.......................
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have no idea, but its scary

Especially the one about dreams
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mke/Dreamsend.htm
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
i have no idea, but its scary

Especially the one about dreams
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mke/Dreamsend.htm

They've got their particle physics wrong in that one, BTW:

Quote:
And if you take apart the nucleus? You’ll be in for a big surprise. For inside an atom’s nucleus, reality as we know it actually ceases to exist.

An atom’s nucleus is made of tiny entities we call ‘particles’. But ‘particles’ is not really a good word for all the quarks, muons, protons, neutrons and electrons matter ultimately consists of.

That bits mostly wrong, or at least severely flawwed.

The site, IMHO is not made by someone paranoid, because he isn't inventing these things, he's just catalogging them. And it all seems reasonably light hearted to me.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I agree. Its not even possible to split a nucleus as far as I know. Ties into the whole conservation of mass.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Its not even possible to split a nucleus as far as I know

ummm... ya it is... thats how nukes work... you fire a neutron into the nucleus of an uranium atom, it splits and releases energy... however, at present, they havent found a way to spilt the sub-atomic particles that make up the nucleus (ie. protons and neutrons).
Quote:
Ties into the whole conservation of mass

sorry, but there is no such thing... there is conservation of energy... and mass and energy are interchangeable (ie. nukes), but they havent found a way to go the other way yet (ie. energy to mass).
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um, Im sorry, but I have to disagree. Im a little rusty on this, but the way a nuclear bomb works is by reaching critical mass of U235, which is about the size of a baseball. When reached, the U235 gives off a neutron which hits another atom of U235, which gives off another n (n=neutron), actually 3, which gives off more etc etc. Its a chain reaction of releasing neutrons. The actual release of the neutron combines with the U235 creates U236, which is highly unstable, and so it rips apart violently, creating Ba192 and Kr91. Millions of these "rips" happen all at once, caused by the chain reaction of neutrons, and so that is the explosion you see. If it was just a matter of splitting a nucleus, we could make a bomb out of anything. The nucleus is all the same, its what is in the orbital shells that causes it to be Hydrogen or Oxygen etc. This being so, these shells have electrons on rings, known as valence electrons. These give the atom a charge which allows us to combine them to make elements. Hence H2O etc.

:)

// I geuss I could explain the conservation of mass, and how it ties in if someone wants me too. ;)
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes it is splitting...

nuclear bombs are based off of nuclear fission (nuclear-nucleus, fission-splitting)

http://library.thinkquest.org/3471/nucl ... _body.html
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I jsut spent about 10 minutes looking it up, and your right (Smokenjoe hangs head in shame). The bursting of the uranium, or the tearing as I said earlier IS caused by the splitting of atoms. When the neutron is released, it splits the nucleus, which in turn releases 3 more blah blah blah (everything else I said earlier). So, you were right. My bad. ;)

Although, and interesting side note, Fission can be harnessed( a nuclear reactor), but Fussion cant. Fussion is so very cool because it breaks the nucleus through heat. Thats how a hydrogen bomb works, but thats another story for another time. The cool thing that they are working on right now is how to harness Fussion. Its neat because Fussion does not leave radioactivity and also the byproducts cannot be used to create nukes. The downside, and the reason their not all over yet, is because the breaking temerature is about 10 million degrees farenheit. I believe that Princeton (sp?) is the only place in the US that has a Fussion reactor, and they just recently were able to match the energy input with the energy output. They still have a long way to go, but its definitly progress.

//If you couldnt tell, nuclear physics and chemistry is sorta a hobby of mine ;)
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow now i'm scared! the jedi wll save me! :starwars:
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. Jedi are cool too. :)
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i guess discussing how an A-bomb works is actually sorta approriate for this topic. LOL.

//Hey Joe! havent seen u in a while! Then of course I havent been here too much either :P
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was off all weekend, and then teusday I was busy on the job. Got back on some posts yesterday a little, but am back full strength today! HOORAY!

//Im surprised someone noticed! :lol:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You were the guy who was the most welcoming when I joined Ozzu. (I think) at least I think so. so I don't know, your just the fun guy, so yeah I noticed. whatever, i'll stop with the praise and mushy stuff now. :P
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

*sniff*

<B> I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!! :lol:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
*sniff*

<B> I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!! :lol:

:shock: Whoa, easy there......everyone back away.....sloooowly

LOL Im joking. We lova ya too Joe! :lol:
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, no hard feelings. I'd back away from myself if I could........... but, it'll never work. :lol:

*whew* I'm way to tired. I was crying at that joke it was so funny. Yowza.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Calendae wrote:
Quote:
Ties into the whole conservation of mass

sorry, but there is no such thing... there is conservation of energy... and mass and energy are interchangeable (ie. nukes), but they havent found a way to go the other way yet (ie. energy to mass).

What you have said negates the theory of conservation of energy: "Energy cannot be created or destroyed"
They <b>can</b> turn energy back into mass, although to be fair it happens spontaneously, and generates a matter/antimatter pair, which tend to annihilate pretty damn quick. It is something to do with this that we can detect black holes. It's also based upon this that they made antimatter (antihydrogen to be precise).

There is not conversation of mass, or conservation of energy. There is <b>conservation of mass-energy</b>. As above fully interchangeable between the two, using <i>that</i> equation of einstein's

You can split a nucleus as calendae rightly said, but you <b>can</b> split up a proton/neutron or any other meson/baryon. You get quarks, but as quarks are very unstable and all-round funky (like <i>really</i> funky) they tend to re-form into something else pdq.

Fundamental particles = quarks and leptons, there are six of each.

leptons:
electron, electron-neutrino
muon, muon nutrino
tau, tau nutrino

quarks:
up, down,
charm, strange, (wtf were they thinking)
top, bottom

These are the fundamental pariticles, although I'm pretty sure that each and every one has it's antimatter equivilent (ie positron is antimatter electron)

It is these fundamental particles that cannot (as yet) be broken down into anything smaller. They are pretty sure they have found all of them (something to do with the number 6 and the pairings). They predicted most of them before any evidence of them was ever found. They are now trying to suss out if quarks and leptons are made of anything even teenier.

Nuetrons and protons are both made of up and down quarks, so just about all the matter that we see is made of ups, downs, and electrons.

If anyone wants some light reading on the subject, I suggest:
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553380168/qid=1086339204/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-8961512-9941745?v=glance&s=books&n=507846" target="_blank">A brief History Of Time</a>
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/055380202X/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/102-8961512-9941745?v=glance&s=books" target="_blank">The Universe in a Nutshell</a>
Both by Steven hawkins, you can buy them both for $35.67 :D

TBH, considering the level of the subject matter, Hawkins does a really good job of making the books accessible.

Agreed with smokenjoe on the fusion. Water as fuel -> *plum* of energy and the side-products are oxygen and helium (so we can all breate and be squeeky). I <i>think</i> the biggest problem they have is containing the reaction. Super-hot plasma cant touch the container else the container will melt lol, so they have to use computer-controlled electromagnets to suspend the ball of plasma in a vacuum. Also getting it started is a bitch as well

Jedis are super cool, this we know to be a fact.

smokenjoe wrote:
teusday I was busy on the job

:shock: All day long, you lucky boy!
I'm guesing that does not mean the same as it does over here :lol:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL geez, I have too ask, do you guys actually know all that stuff you post?! or do you look it up and then post what you find out? LOL everytime one of you comes up with that stuff I feel dumber by the moment. Damn, i dont know how i graduated highschool.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read both of the books, and I did all this stuff A level physics last year - there was like a whole module (third of the year's course) on it. I think protons are (uud) and neutrons are (udd) in construction, but it could be the other way round, I don't know.

I had to think hard about some of the words, but mostly it is all right I'm sure. You can check it out if you want :wink: Oh and I spelled neutrons incorrectly :lol:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
Oh and I spelled neutrons incorrectly :lol:

lol I feel so much better now! 8) :roll:
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya, i guess what i said was sorta contridictory... mass and energy are interchangeable, and energy can neither be created or destroyed, so i guess there is such a thing as 'conservation of mass' but only in so much as it relates to 'conservation of energy'. there is no theory that says 'mass must be conserved' but if you think about it its true...
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Calendae wrote:
ya, i guess what i said was sorta contridictory... mass and energy are interchangeable, and energy can neither be created or destroyed, so i guess there is such a thing as 'conservation of mass' but only in so much as it relates to 'conservation of energy'. there is no theory that says 'mass must be conserved' but if you think about it its true...

http://www.google.com/search?q=conserva ... 8&oe=utf-8

There actually is a conservation of mass. There is also conservation laws for charge, momentum and I think there are some other obscure ones that I don't remember.

The fact is they devised the two laws (mass and energy) because at the times they were thought to be true (and most of the time you can consider them separately). Later it was discovered that you could convert one to the other so they combined the two into one rule. I don't know if einstein discovered this but he did discover the relationship between them, hence e=m*c^2

The really annoying thing about science, in particular physics, is that they teach you stuff, and then the next step up they say "well what we taught you last year is wrong, this is how it <i>really</i> works". It's like peeling off layers, which actaully reflects the ways the discoveries were originaly made.

It's the same with types of energy, although you get taught that there are loads they can all be grouped, like potential energy in a piece of elastic is really electromagnetic energy, so is friction.

It's this that makes it difficult to learn higher level stuff on the internet, there are hundreds of sites with info on the outer layers, but very few that have info on the more in-depth.

How old are you calendae? It might be worth getting yourself a copy of the brief history of time, if this stuff interests you.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow rtm, you sure are a good student!
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

im 16 (17 in july :)), it does, i might just do that...
and i give... it does exist...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts