Security problem with Anfy Applet?

• planet
  • planet

Post 3+ Months Ago

I downloaded the Anfy Applet from http://www.swishzone.com and after it was download it proceeded to take control of my browser. It kept doing something and I could not figure out what was going on. I disconnected my phone line and tried to make the error log come up to see what happened. In the error log there is mention of other programs I use such as unlimitedftp being verafied, security errors and mention of other things I don't understand. Can someone look at the log and tell me what is was doing or if there is something dangerous in this Applet? I am not sure if I can post my error log here or if it would violate any rules but can e-mail it or post here if it is OK.
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should be able to post the error log here. If it makes any references to your IP address you might edit it and put in a few XXX instead of the actual number.
  • planet
  • planet

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Everyone,
The error log is quite long but here is a snip showing my concerns. The Anfy program seemed to go through my HD and correctly identified many programs I use, two of which are listed below. Also the "destructor" refrence bothers me. It could all be OK but it just seems really weird so I appreciate any insight or thoughts. Contact me if you want to see or for me to post the entire error code (it's long) Start partial error code from Anfy Aplet----
3/26/2002 @ 21:58:28
Search Applet version: 20000915.1
IE and Apple
Resource bundle name: SearchAppletProperties
Check count 2
Extending Dreamweaver
Using Dreamweaver
class FileLoadThread::run() RUN-FILELOADTHREAD
class FileLoadThread::loadData() Vector size 1464
class FileLoadThread::run() start time 1017208710026
class FileLoadThread::run() end time 1017208715241
class FileLoadThread::run() File Load Time: 5215
File Load Time: 5215ms
3/26/2002 @ 21:58:53
Search Time: 114ms
3/26/2002 @ 21:59:5
Search Time: 524ms
6/2/2002 @ 3:35:0
Java Exception: java.lang.SecurityException - com.apple.mrj
Stack Trace:
java.lang.SecurityException: com.apple.mrj
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletSecurityOld.checkForPackageStuff(JMAppletSecurityOld.java)
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletSecurityOld.checkPackageAccess(JMAppletSecurityOld.java)
at com.apple.mrj.JManager
An exception occurred: java.lang.SecurityException: com.apple.mrj for com.apple.mrj
6/2/2002 @ 3:37:10
Stack Trace:
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletSecurityOld.checkForPackageStuff(JMAppletSecurityOld.java)
at com.apple.mrj.JManager.JMAppletSecurityOld.checkPackageAccess(JMAppletSecurityOld.java)
An exception occurred: java.lang.SecurityException: com.apple.mrj for com.apple.mrj
6/2/2002 @ 3:39:33
Stack Trace:
6/5/2002 @ 11:59:43
Running on domain: unlimitedftp.ca
Running on IP: XXX.XX.XXX.XX
Key1: 3B451367E8EEA526530328F6DD5F994F25869B valid
Starting Unlimited FTP v2.6 Beta 3 06/03/2002 1426 on Mac OS 9.0.4 PowerPC
Executing with Apple Computer, Inc. -- Java(tm) 1.1.8
6/5/2002 @ 12:0:26
Destructor started...
Java Exception: com.apple.mrj.internal.awt.JManager1Exception - Unexpected port (WMgrPort) seen by JManager1Setup
Stack Trace:
---End partial code. Contact me if you want to see the entire error code. All error code realtes to the Anfy Applet.

Thanks a bunch!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm very weird. Is that Unlimited FTP something that comes with the MAC? Maybe you got all those errors because the program was simply trying to access things for which it did not have permission.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not well-versed in Java, but perhaps these two links may provide some insight?:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/jman2.0/ProgWJMan-2.html

"Programming With JManager describes the JManager function library used in MRJ 2.0, which is used to instantiate a Java runtime environment on the Mac OS platform and to interact with the Java code within it. You can use JManager functions to embed Java applets in Mac OS applications or to create Mac compatible Java applications."

--------------
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Java/Reference/1.3.1/java/lang/SecurityManager.html

"The security manager is a class that allows applications to implement a security policy. It allows an application to determine, before performing a possibly unsafe or sensitive operation, what the operation is and whether it is being attempted in a security context that allows the operation to be performed. The application can allow or disallow the operation.

The SecurityManager class contains many methods with names that begin with the word check. These methods are called by various methods in the Java libraries before those methods perform certain potentially sensitive operations. The invocation of such a check method typically looks like this:

SecurityManager security = System.getSecurityManager();
if (security != null) {
security.checkXXX(argument, . . . );
}
The security manager is thereby given an opportunity to prevent completion of the operation by throwing an exception. A security manager routine simply returns if the operation is permitted, but throws a SecurityException if the operation is not permitted. The only exception to this convention is checkTopLevelWindow, which returns a boolean value. " (further down this page is a list of methods that throw exceptions - checkAccess is on of those)

Hope that helps.
  • planet
  • planet

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't understand all the code for the JScripts so they mean nothing to me. Unlimited ftp is an Applet based program that gives ftp access to my servers. Everyone knows Dreamweaver (I think). I have run Applets for years and never had this happen. I am concerned mainly because it looks like it went through most of my system. There is also a series of transmit data (or something similar) errors and other programs I use listed that have nothing to do with Applets.

Thanks for the info. Any other details are appreciated, even if I don't understand - Fire away.
  • planet
  • planet

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Hmm very weird. Is that Unlimited FTP something that comes with the MAC? Maybe you got all those errors because the program was simply trying to access things for which it did not have permission.

Unlimitedftp does not come with the Mac. It is a seperate program you buy like Dreamweaver. The verafied, destruction and id code make it seems like it did somethig successfully and it is not all errors. If it was all errors, I would not be worried and would assume it was trying to access things and permission was denied... I know almost nothing about Applets so I could be wrong but it seems very strange. The 2 items below seem to be successful and are from the log above but without the errors...

Extending Dreamweaver
Using Dreamweaver
class FileLoadThread::run() RUN-FILELOADTHREAD
class FileLoadThread::run() start time 1017208710026
class FileLoadThread::run() end time 1017208715241
class FileLoadThread::run() File Load Time: 5215
File Load Time: 5215ms
3/26/2002 @ 21:58:53
Search Time: 114ms
3/26/2002 @ 21:59:5
Search Time: 524ms
6/2/2002 @ 3:35:0

6/5/2002 @ 11:59:43
Running on domain: unlimitedftp.ca
Running on IP: XXX.XX.XXX.XX
Key1: 3B451367E8EEA526530328F6DD5F994F25869B valid
Starting Unlimited FTP v2.6 Beta 3 06/03/2002 1426 on Mac OS 9.0.4 PowerPC
Executing with Apple Computer, Inc. -- Java(tm) 1.1.8
6/5/2002 @ 12:0:26
Destructor started...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Destructor deals with deleting an object in the jave runtime environment - as noted in this link it's the opposite of a constructor:
http://www.usefulcontent.org/adlocum/dest/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?destructor (I think it has to do with the way the objects work in the JAva applet - i.e. not trying to "destroy" somerthing on your computer.

If it helps, I use the ANFY program on another machine - but I am not using the registered version. I'm using the freeware version. I haven't studied it much. I've only used it twice. One thing I do know with the freeware version is that the JavaApplet calls the code it needs to run the applet from a remote server hosted by ANFY - not your local machine.
I'm not certain if the registered version works any different. The other thing the free version does is call ads. I kept getting the feeling that there may have been a tad bit of spyware involved, so I stopped using it, but never researched it further.

Bottom line - I wouldn't be overly concerned about the destructor part.
  • planet
  • planet

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

If it helps, I use the ANFY program on another machine - but I am not using the registered version. I'm using the freeware version. I haven't studied it much. I've only used it twice. One thing I do know with the freeware version is that the JavaApplet calls the code it needs to run the applet from a remote server hosted by ANFY - not your local machine.
I'm not certain if the registered version works any different. The other thing the free version does is call ads. I kept getting the feeling that there may have been a tad bit of spyware involved, so I stopped using it, but never researched it further.

That makes sense and helps explain why the Applet was sending and receiving data from another web site (a lot of the messages say failed connection to www. XXX.XXX and "Gayview Video stopped" when I don't view gay videos on the web). UnlimitedFTP thought the above was from me using their software in 2002 but I know this error is more recent since I view the error log often to troubleshoot and this was not there last month before I used the Applet (the log was only about 10 lines last month). I think there is spyware involved also given that it ID'd almost all of my programs on my HD even if they don't use any Applets. I can't think of why it would do that otherwise but perhaps there is a reason to sniff my HD that I don't know about. I have also NEVER had my browser or computer taken over like that before which stopped when I disconnected the phone line. Seems really weird to me so that is why I am seeking more info.
Thanks for the help!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts