Setting up Linux image ... Running Depeche Mode

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I update Ubuntu I see this message

Code: [ Select ]
Setting up linux-image-2.6.28-15-server (2.6.28-15.52) ...
Running depmod.
  1. Setting up linux-image-2.6.28-15-server (2.6.28-15.52) ...
  2. Running depmod.

But what I read is this

Setting up linux-image-2.6.28-15-server (2.6.28-15.52) ...
Running Depeche Mode.
  1. Setting up linux-image-2.6.28-15-server (2.6.28-15.52) ...
  2. Running Depeche Mode.

All I know is they're a band, I didn't even know what kind of band until I looked them up on Wikipedia just now. Apparently they're pretty popular. Somehow they're popular enough to invade my mind during system updates.

Am I the only one who sees this ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depeche Mode never would have crossed my mind on the update. I have to say that they did a great remake of "Tainted Love" originally done by Gloria Jones in 1966.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are the only one who sees this.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is actually french for "Fast Fashion".

I was a fan briefly about 20+ years ago ("Music for the Masses"). They are no New Order. "Personal Jesus" is pretty catchy.

But I'll admit, this depmod connection had never crossed my mind.

So, if I can ask, what do you think about when using modprobe? :|
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

And what about touch and finger and more more more commands?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys need to get la...participate in some extra-curricular mixed-gender activities asap!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I heard that UPS Guys are always getting sexual offers on their routes. Is that true?
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
And what about touch and finger and more more more commands?

fav gcc error:

test.c:4: error: ‘long long long’ is too long for GCC

asking for:
long long long int x;

long long is okay tho :lol:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I heard that UPS Guys are always getting sexual offers on their routesp

I had drivers who received offers, some that had affairs with customers, some that got divorced, but I had a driver who got fired for going for second base on a lady with fresh surgery, too. Pretty much the same experience as real life - the good guys kept it honest and the grubbers caused trouble. I can remember one guy in particular who worked out twice a day, serious body builder (fired for 'roid use eventually). That guy was with a different 'girlfriend' every time we'd go out somewhere.

In short, guess so. heh
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I knew there was something happening there.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Worst part was I knew these guys, and as a result, I knew their families. When I heard and found out all this stuff, the kids were usually the first thing I thought of. Just doesn't make sense.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

The children suffer the most.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah don you definitely called this one. Tainted Love all the way.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a bunch joebert! Now I've got the Marilyn Manson cover of Tainted Love stuck in my head and its going to stay that way all day long.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay I am applying at UPS tomorrow.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I know why UPS decided on the word "Parcel" now. They had to have anticipated this.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

1907-1919 they were actually called American Messenger Service. The change to the current name happened at the same time as an expansion to Oakland, CA from their home base in Seattle, so perhaps that's the market they 'expanded' in to.

Jim Casey started the whole thing 102 years ago with $100 he borrowed from a friend. That part still amazes me.

Note: Yes, all this is available on their intertubez site, but I'm going from memory - as part of the mgmt. team, we had to know this stuff stone-cold and we were tested twice a month - craziness!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So Beavis and Butt-Head get the genius idea that if they work for UPS they can get all kinds of free stuff. So they get on the Internet and find a job ad for UPS on Craigslist.

Beavis writes the address down wrong and they end up at some little hole in the wall place with blacked out windows and a tiny sign on the door that says UPS, but it doesn't look like the brown UPS logo and it says "United Package Service" underneath.

After Butt-Head concludes it must be the right place since it says UPS on the door and UPS delivers packages they go in to find a pretty much empty office with a couple of chairs and a desk with a receptionist in the back next to another door.

When the flaming gay receptionist asks if he can help them Butt-Head says "Uhhh, we're here for the job and the packages". Beavis follows up with "yeah, heh heh, we wanna deliver some packages". The receptionist looks them up and down skeptically before getting a look of "duhh" on his face and saying "Oh, you're the UPS guys aren't you ? Your uniforms are in the back, here let me buzz you in.".

So Beavis and Butt-Head go back through the door and find a couple of normal looking brown UPS uniforms which they put on. When they come back up front with these tiny short brown shorts and brown shirts that are tied into knots in the front Butt-Head questions the receptionist about the uniforms not fitting right, but the receptionist insists they both look sssuper and hands them a piece of paper with an address on it.

When Butt-Head asks "Uhhh, so like, where's the packages ?" the receptionist calls him silly and tells them to hurry up and get going because they're already late.

On the way to the address on their bikes Beavis goes on about how this job sucks and wants to know where the free stuff is then Butt-Head says "Beavis you dumbass, we gotta like, go pickup the packages first, or something."

So they pull up to a house with a bunch of pink flamingos and other trendy lawn ornaments with a bunch of loud salsa music playing inside and knock on the door. When the door opens it's obvious that there's a gay bachelor party going on inside and the guy who answers the door yells back to the crowd about the entertainment finally being there.

Butt-Head responds with "Uhhh, like, we're here for your packages, and stuff" followed by Beavis with "Yeah, heh heh, we want your packages".

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts