Shopping Online

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

What kinds of things do you buy online, do they ever arrive, is the product as good as you thought it was? Discuss all things shopping online! :lol:

I buy lots of cd's online and have recently discovered that buying cd's from Canada is MUCH cheaper for me than to buy them here in Australia (and thats including postage).

I am more likely to buy online now than I was a few years ago, but I am still cautious as to who I buy from.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I buy things from very few places online, :S

I bought a few Cd's from atomic-systems.

Other than That I mostly goto the shops. something about not having a credit card yet @ age 23 :P

Just never wanted a credit card till just recently. ;)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah credit cards are definetly a double edged sword!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have two standing accounts at iTunes and IStockPhoto, so I can do one click purchasing. Otherwise, I buy Macromedia and Adobe software online. Me and the wife did a lot of Christmas shopping this year - ToysRUs.com.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yeah, I had to order some Wiggles stuff from Australia, cuz I couldn't get in the states. I added more than I wanted to buy to justify the shipping costs.
  • Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's better than travelling out of your way and queing in shops for ages I suppose :)

I went to "Game" a computer games store to buy my cousin a game the other week before christmas, took 40 minutes to get served. their "Bank Card machines" were not working, because they are networked and one broke down. lol.
  • wookey
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont really buy much atall from online lol, arnt i boring lol :oops:
  • Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea. lol :- x
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I much prefer to shop online these days. I can honestly say I have never really had any hassles with it.

ebay is also pretty good as well. ive bought stuff from there.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

the Technical College I adjunct at actually offers a class on using ebay.

LOL, Thank goodness I don't get those people in my classes. hahaha.
  • Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh my a class on using Ebay.... actually never used Ebay.

But a freind at work knows nothing about pootas and uses Ebay :D ;)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

ebay is good but I dont know why you would need to have a class on it, but then who knows, maybe its for people selling stuff on there and tips on getting a better price.

i saw on there someone selling peices of blank paper and people were bidding on them ahhaa also I heard on the radio the american government were auctioning a bomb shelter on ebay. dont know if its still there though.
  • Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

there was a fighter plane on there for a few million.......
lol
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me see, I've bought a BUNCH of stuff online over the last few years...

I've bought off eBay, and with eBay, some categories have been outstanding, some categories have been absolute crap.

There's no way in hell I'll buy computer gear on eBay any more.

I bought an AthlonXP 2400+ processor & ECS Motherboard off a dude (Ok, so ECS makes crappy boards, but it was a super deal, and the combo was still cheaper than buying just the chip alone from Best Buy)...

All was running sweet for about 2 months (30 day warranty on the hardware)... Then, the motherboard took out the CPU, my CD-Burner (that I'd only had for a year), and the processor.

I bought a fan from a company on eBay with a 10000 rating. It took me 3 weeks after payment to receive the fan and when it got here it was broken. I sent it back and it took another 6 weeks to get a replacement fan.

I've bought various other things on eBay that are computer related and all have turned out bad except for the USB2 CompactFlash reader that the UPS guy dropped off for me this afternoon. It crashed the PC a couple of times during installation (which is no simple task under Win2K, heh), but now it's working sweet, and very fast, and for 12 bucks shipped, I certainly ain't complaining.

I have also bought camera equipment off eBay. I've bought film, I've bought some top notch SLR Lenses, and they've all been exactly or BETTER than described, and I have NO problem buying photo gear on eBay (even though the photo area does have some bad sellers, you learn to spot the ads to avoid pretty quickly).

I've bought "Magic The Gathering" cards on eBay for my girlfriend's son (I must've spent over 400 bucks on those for him over the last couple of years on eBay). Every single one of those deals (and there were about 90 deals in all) went smooth.

So, aside from computer gear, I'm pretty satisfied with eBay.

I've also bought second hand from other online communities. My Nikon N90s 35mm SLR camera, and my MF-26 databack came from a guy on Nikonians.com. Another GREAT group of people, VERY helpful, just like the community here. This camera looked like it'd just come straight from the factory, it was in SUPREME condition, and my total cost, including shipping, was about half of the retail value of the equipment. In fact, I just sent him a bunch of money a coupla days ago for a Nikon 28-80 AF lens, and I will be buying his 70-300 AF lens when he upgrades to the VR model. VERY nice people, all of them, and very protective of their cameras, so I know anything I buy from them will be in great condition, and if it's not, they say so in the ad! and exactly how the not-great-condition affects functionality (if at all - many times it's just minor cosmetic scratches).

As far as brand new from stores goes... I've bought computer gear from NewEgg.com, never had a problem, I've bought feeders for our reptiles from Armstrong's Crickets, ReptileFood.com, and several other companies - although Armstrong's & ReptileFood.com are the only ones we'll order bugs online from now.

We've also spent a couple of grand on supplies for our reptiles at reptiledirect.com - and never had a problem with them 'cept the high shipping rates, heh.

I've also bought online from breeders (snakes, beardies, leopard geckos), although due to the problems with some shipping companies (mostly FedEx & UPS), I don't like to ship live animals (unless they're shipped with Airborne Express who do a pretty good job). So, usually I will pick my animal online, pay via PayPal, then pick up at a local show (here in Sarasota, there's shows within a 2-3hr driving distance every 3 months or so, including the largest reptile show in the world at Daytona every august - which is an absolutely EXTREME weekend, probably the highlight of the year, the most amazing LARGE group of people you're ever likely to meet offline). :)

Oh, for those of you in the UK, last time I was there, I bought a gig of RAM from novatech.co.uk, absolutely great people, extremely fast shipping, great prices.

That's all I can remember off-hand :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow axe. am impressed.

ive never bought puter stuff online, mainly cd's and alice cooper collectibles :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I like buying online, like you said in another thread, I'm lazy ;)

Buying online I don't have to leave my comfy chair, lol.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

exactly! hoorah. heh. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts