Should I design my buddy's website, I DONT KNOW CODE!

• comicracy
  • comicracy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I only know dreamweaver and html. My friend wants me to design a website for his company but I am not sure if I should tell him OK, since I dont really know code/ should I go ahead and do it or am I setting us both up for failure. What kind of rate should I charge? Are there people out there who design websites only knowing dreamweaver and some basic code? You can check out my website http://www.comicracy.com and see if you would recomend I do this or tell him to hire a pro. His website is for an aircraft supply company, my website is more of a for fun comic book type thing and its the only one I have done so far.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're thinking about stepping out of that comfort zone, or your normal abilities about coding and designing for website, you can try taking this job. It's a great opportunity for you to improve, it forces you to do things you haven't known and you have to learn.

Ask how much he's willing to pay, if you get enough fees to hire helps from others, what's his expectations about the fees, and designs...

Try to get a blue print for him before you say you can or can't take this.

Of course supply aircraft company is something like a dynamic website, do some research about it, like their competitors website to learn about their designs.

I'm not sure about the fees, :wink:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to say no ... that's something I fight against, people that don't know code that still create websites ... it's just as good my buddy asks me to fix his car, and I know zero about cars ... It just doesn't work ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ditto R_T. Just don't.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can work out a reasonable deal I say go for it.

Note that when I say reasonable, I mean you have a reason directly related to the job to account for every penny of the price, not as in you have a reason for wanting that much money such as your car payment is due in 2 days.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're uncomfortable with your skills then I would say don't do it.
I would be honest with your friend and tell them that you are unsure if you have the skills to accomplish the job. Maybe he'd be ok with that or maybe not.

Honesty would be the best option in this situation in my personal opinion because you aren't promising something that you aren't sure you can do and he'll know about it to make a more thought out decision.
  • nag_snaike
  • Born
  • Born
  • nag_snaike

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I would say Yes, if website is static one............but if you need to build a dynamic site you must know coding.

Developing a website not having good experience fails after getting huge traffic.

Happy Coding

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts