Silly (in retrospect) Internet Misunderstandings

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone remember things they thought about how the Internet worked that looking back at now seems silly ?

I remember when I first learned what an "HTTP Referrer" was, I used to think that the referrer would contain the last page I was looking at even if I used a bookmark to go to the new page, so I always closed my browser window and opened a new one when I wanted to go to another site.

It's sort of funny in retrospect, I don't use bookmarks anywhere near as much as I used to anymore.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember in 1998 or 1999 thinking that the companies I worked for would always have LOTS and LOTS of money. :lol:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember the first time I used email, even though it was on 56k dialup I was amazed how it went fast instead of taking a few days like regular mail.
  • stephen186
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • stephen186

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember i made two email accounts and sent lot of emails to myself just to see whether it fails at anytime........
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember thinking that Netscape 3.0 Gold was the browser to end all browsers. I remember sitting through entire days waiting for the 8MB updates to download on 33K modem and being happy when it was finally installed.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never really thought about how internet worked... I just used it because it was hear... my worries then was games
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember discovering that you can share the C drive in windows XP and thinking that I was some sort of hot shot hacker or something. I actually used the C$ hidden share as a prank once in college. I wrote a little batch file that would create lots and lots of text files, hundreds of them, and put them all on the desktop of the remote computer. Then the guy I did that to got revenge on me with sub seven.....
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember thinking fixed width pages looked cool. Not.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that DM ;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
I remember thinking fixed width pages looked cool. Not.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that DM ;)

Hahahah! You got me on that one. :lol:
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was a little girl, I though sneezing infront of your PC it would catch a "virus" and once you connect to the internet it will spread to other PCs. More of stupid than silly. ^^
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I rember sending emails to my friends using the RE option and having conversations then he would email me back 5 seconds later. We spent ages talking about how we could make a program that would let you talk to people really fast like this, then found out about MSN!
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

the internet was so horrible..
I remember signing up for xoom pages and had all these pics on it, and now it is gone!

(anyone know how to get the stuff back?)

I think 90% of the first internet I used was on bnet for diablo lol
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
(anyone know how to get the stuff back?)

You could try the Wayback Machine http://www.archive.org/index.php
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah was messing with that, I forget how the account urls were set up.. hmm trying to remember.

thanks google..
http://members.xoom.com/mcrawford was an example, lets see.. i doubt wayback would archive individual pages..
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyfrin wrote:
the internet was so horrible..

I don't know. I started university in 1993. There was a 24/7 unix computer lab where you could use the word processors to type up essays. Then someone showed me a ncurses program there we could send messages with, since you had to set up an account to use the computers anyway. That was "elm", I believe the first email client, and it was a hit with a lot of students since things like lists, etc, were already well developed. No one had quite heard of the www tho.

Then the next year the first Netscape browser came out, and also WebCrawler (!!) the first mainstream search engine. Maybe it was just the initial mystery of it, but in general I think the web in 1994-97 was much more interesting than it is now because

1) there was little to no commercial content

2) pages were much less "generic"; lots of people had homepages they did themselves, since learning html was easy, about all kinds of crazy tish you would NEVER see published or distributed anywhere else. But there were no "blogs" or templates, etc -- you made a page. It was great.

3) there was more focus on actual content, ie, text*, since the transfer rates were so slow. Of course, everything looks better today, but it is also very easy to make something that has little to no real content look substantial, which back then you could not really do that.

* well, images can totally be content too, but I think my meaning is clear here -- camperjohn's old page (general-discussion/the-second-website-ever-made-t100589.html) is a great example, all content, no BS. :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wayback machine appears to be broken at the moment.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
I started university in 1993.

Ha! Well, color me gobsmacked. I've got to learn not to make assumptions about people. I had no idea you were nearly as old as I am.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
1) there was little to no commercial content...
2) pages were much less "generic"...
3) there was more focus on actual content...

In other words it was more neutral, and today we have the Net Neutrality discussions. So in thinking that way, the internet has degraded a lot since its inception.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
Ha! Well, color me gobsmacked. I've got to learn not to make assumptions about people. I had no idea you were nearly as old as I am.

It's because of my youthful exuberance 8)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
It's because of my youthful exuberance 8)

:lol: I could use a six-pack of that today.

// I think I'll settle for six-pack of Yuengling.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or Labbatt Blue.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
In other words it was more neutral, and today we have the Net Neutrality discussions. So in thinking that way, the internet has degraded a lot since its inception.

Big business is a just a big bully again. I was just listening to NPR and they were talking about patents on genes; currently, if you discover a gene, you can patent it*. This means certain tests to determine if you have a predilection toward a specific kind of cancer can cost $1000's, because they have to pay a licence fee to the people who have patented the gene (even tho it's in your DNA!). The same goes for anyone who wants to study anything involving that gene.

The other example involved "genetic prospecting"; if you discover a gene that is the key to a plant synthesizing a certain compound (didn't know science got this deep!), you can patent that one to. So some companies just take out tons of patents on particular plant genes, the same way people will buy domain names just to resell them. This lead to a multinational (WR Grace) suing people who grew Neem trees in India, because they were using the compounds produced by the tree that WR Grace held the patents on the genes that produce the compounds!

The excuse, as always, is "we don't have any incentive except GREED, if you incur extra costs on us, we will just pass those on or give up". Okay. I hope you go bankrupt and let someone who is actually interested in science, or bettering civilization, or telecommunications, etc, have a go...

* actually you don't even have to discover it -- you just have to file the patent
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

They own the gene itself? How can someone own naturally occuring nitrogenous base pairs? It's not the method of detection they're patenting?

Can you post a link. I can't seem to find the article on NPR's site.

Oh, and I remember when Excite was my search engine of choice (pre-google, of course).
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
So in thinking that way, the internet has degraded a lot since its inception.

I wouldn't go that far. It has matured and developed -- but one clear negative consequence of maturity in this case is that all kinds of "normative" standards have developed that people seem to feel bound to conform to. Whereas before these standards had time to evolve, they didn't have any to look for or conform to.

Maybe that's a gross overphilosophicalization ;) Also, I myself have gotten old and don't take much interest in many things that were like, totally mindblowing in my early twenties. I mean I'd love to have my mind blown again, of course...I do still try. My programming kick is part of that, no doubt.

digitalMedia wrote:
They own the gene itself? How can someone own naturally occuring nitrogenous base pairs? It's not the method of detection they're patenting?

Can you post a link. I can't seem to find the article on NPR's site.

It was actually a show on WNYC. They "upgraded" their site a while ago and now it is hands down the SLOWEST site I visit :lol:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/episod ... nts/142945

The feeds are fine fine AFAICT -- tho I've only listened to one or two, since the radio is on a lot.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure they hold a patent "on the gene itself":
Quote:
Twenty percent of the human genome has been patented by biotechnology companies, universities, and research institutions.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

mk27 wrote:
Big business is a just a big bully again. I was just listening to NPR and they were talking about patents on genes; currently, if you discover a gene, you can patent it*.

Its kind of the same thing with farmers. You can have your small farm that has been in your family for over a hundred years, and right across the road is a big corporate sell out farm owned by Monsanto. Their scientists will take samples of the crops on your farm and compare them to samples from their field, and if they have the same genes they sue you for "copyright infringement". But pollination from one plant to the next is natural! And it is your fault that the wind blew pollen from their field onto yours, or that a bee landed on one of their plants then on one of yours afterwards. Its all such a sham.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's keep this thread on topic. I created a new thread to discuss the gene thing.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts