Silly Thought and Stupid Question...

• Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

But....

I am sitting here procrastinating why the hell I chose to be a designer (graphic and web) out of the millions of other professions in this world.

Well I came up with the reasons why I do not like it. For example, It frustrates me to the point where I would rather listen to someone running their fingers down a blackboard. It takes forever to design something to my standard (perfect). Its crap money, because I freelance, mainly for small businesses and whatnot. It keeps me up until ridiculous hours every night. It brings me harassment from people who do not have the first clue how much work goes into designing a decent, workable, valid website.

But the stupid thing is, I love doing it. I love seeing how good my work is, I love the thought people will see my work on the big WWW. I just love it, and I do not see myself ever doing anything else.

Does anyone else have this same kind of love-hate relationship with design/programming etc? Or am I just weird?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a pretty interesting question all together, I sort of agree with you ... but my feelings are a lot more towards the love side of the spectrum ... These days business for me has picked up immensely and I almost can't keep up, but that's what I enjoy ... Those late night are excellent for me ... I don't have any hassles doing them, the most frustrating part for me probably is the clients that never seem to know exactly what they want ... and then on the last minute they change their minds ... that gets me a bit angry, but I don't want to do anything else really ...
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah thats the same as me, I don't want to do anything else, but at the same time it stresses me out so badly, I wonder if I should, but when it comes down to it, its like a child I love it, and refuse to give up on it. To be honest, I have been doing it for so long now, and I feel I am ONLY just finding my feet, and believe after so long I actually have talent, I couldn't turn my back.. but sometimes I wonder... How would life be without it? (Its like I am talking about a child or a favourite toy or something hehe oops)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sort of circumvented all that. I have a regular job running a network. I've gotten money from designing a few sites in the past, but primarily it's always been a hobby. I do it when I want and if I want to design for pay I do. If I'm not in the mood, I still have a good income. Takes away a lot of that frustration you refer to.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm. I'm an interpreter by day as I guess most people around here know already, so coding/ design is something I only get to do when I'm lucky to snatch some time away from real life. but I'd kill for a chance to do it full time. in fact when my office closes next january, I'm thinking of not even looking for another job in translation/ interpretation/ project management whatever, but try and get a job with a web design agency....... you see lots of ads for web designers in serbia, it's still a growing field...

I also feel I still suck at it (heck hasn't been that long since I started really) but I think I know enough to land a job in the industry... then it'll be a learning curve from there. then when I feel a bit more confident i'll strike out on my own I guess. ballpark projection - running own web design company by the age of 35. of course by then I might have decided to be a salmon fisher and moved to canada (does canada have any salmon?) but it's the working plan at the moment................

I love design. it can get frustrating but the joy of making something pretty far outweighs the petty annoyances. my biggest annoyances are with my own ineptitude actually - I always have a great idea in my mind how I want it to look, but I haven't got the skills to pull it off............... anyhow I guess that's where hard work comes in. keep on truckin'..... :D
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like ATNO, web design is a hobby. Occasionally I'll do a paid project, but only if I have enough free time on a regular basis.

Software developer by day, web designer by night. Sometimes I wear a cape for dramatic effect.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Sometimes I wear a cape for dramatic effect.

Yes you have to ... I agree ...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like a variety of nice tastes here...

I kinda different, I would be doing something different than any mentioned here. That is I will reveal later.
:|
  • imobilliare
  • Born
  • Born
  • imobilliare

Post 3+ Months Ago

Divinyl wrote:
But....

I am sitting here procrastinating why the hell I chose to be a designer (graphic and web) out of the millions of other professions in this world.

Well I came up with the reasons why I do not like it. For example, It frustrates me to the point where I would rather listen to someone running their fingers down a blackboard. It takes forever to design something to my standard (perfect). Its crap money, because I freelance, mainly for small businesses and whatnot. It keeps me up until ridiculous hours every night. It brings me harassment from people who do not have the first clue how much work goes into designing a decent, workable, valid website.

But the stupid thing is, I love doing it. I love seeing how good my work is, I love the thought people will see my work on the big WWW. I just love it, and I do not see myself ever doing anything else.

Does anyone else have this same kind of love-hate relationship with design/programming etc? Or am I just weird?

Web development can be both fulfilling, at the same time frustrating.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

I guess that kind of applies for all of life... Fulfilling, yet frustrating :D
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
Quote:

I guess that kind of applies for all of life... Fulfilling, yet frustrating :D

True dat.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

But not always in that order.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

True. Sometimes I get frustrated looking for a bottle opener before I can actually enjoy the beer.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you ever done the "open a beer bottle with a dollar bill" trick? I've seen how-to's on the internet, but never tried it or even seen it done in real life.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't say that I have. I've used door latches, sidewalk curbs, tables, stairs, and bar stools, but never a dollar bill.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Have you ever done the "open a beer bottle with a dollar bill" trick? I've seen how-to's on the internet, but never tried it or even seen it done in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_N65o9RZ0

definately going to try that!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only stupid question is the one you have to ask twice because you didn't learn anything the first time you asked it. :D

I've done alot of things since I was a teenager, I've gotten bored with all of them.
The only things I've really gotten frustrated with are the ones where I had to do things the hard way because of low budgets when I know there's a much easier way to do them.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It almost sounds like you work in my office joebert :)
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could never give design up, I love it to much, but at the same time I wonder how I let it frustrate me so much. I suppose its like a child. (note to self, stop referring to design as a child, its kinda geeky)

I still have a lot to learn, but I honestly believe I have just found my creative spark, I am getting paid more for my jobs, and I understand things a lot better, but as always, technology doesn't always do as its told, so yeah, that is the time I want to hurl the PC through the window, but I guess that also comes from having almost zero patience with anything (I am actually surprised I have as much patience with design as I do).

I am looking forward to my future with design.. Honestly haha.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I just absorbed all your Love Hate by listening to you. And I'm glad you found your ideal job. Good Luck!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well my works website is pathetic, it still uses frames and animated gifs and is the laughing stock of municipalities across the world. But recently the mayors office and council members have been hearing comments about how lousy it is, so it looks like my department will be taking it over instead of the library people that currently do it, which means I am going to like designing whether I want to or not. I could use a complete overhaul.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
It almost sounds like you work in my office joebert :)

Pfft, office folks have it easy. :lol:

When I say do things the hard way, I mean digging fence post holes with something like this instead of the much easier and faster this.

Or using brush and roller on walls like this when you can easily finish twice as fast if you use an airless sprayer.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer this for digging holes:

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

We tried that, but ended up needing to use alot more concrete which raised the cost of the project in the long run.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha really?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I lied.
But that's actually why you shouldn't try it.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am guessing the hole that would make, you would need about 18 concrete trucks, to fill it.. That would be one mighty strong fence post! :P
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well with the sugar sand here in Florida, you need a good amount of concrete.
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sugar sand?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_sand