Small Business

• Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this isn't directly related to web hosting or management but I figured maybe someone has come across a script that works well for such a thing.

My fathers business is ran and managed by him and him alone. He has customers with quarterly and annual appointments that repeat themselves respectively every 3 months, 6 months, etc.

He has been using Outlook to manage the calendars and scheduling as well as mixing in MyInvoices for...well..invoicing and customer management, database, etc.

I have yet to find a script to host on my own server that can work the same way with all (or at least most of) these features. It doesn't have to be free, open source, etc. but I would mostly prefer something that wasn't *hosted online with a monthly payment* specifically so I can host the script myself on a server located on the internal network.

I've run across some scripts such as SugarCRM and what not but none of them quite seem to work the way we need to.

If you guys have any ideas or suggestions we are open to hearing about them :)

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could probably use something like Quickbooks is what you might be thinking of. It is something you could buy once and use it on your own box for as long as you want.
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possibly but what I am looking for is something that can run on a server inside a web browser.

Say, something like google calendar and what not so it can be accessed from anywhere but on the internal network only which would be worked out using IPTables.

The reason for this is so that if my dad suffers from some kind of software or hardware failure on his local PC he doesn't need to worry about losing anything since in turn it would be on a server which I will be managing instead of him since he's from ye 'old days.

Basically it comes down to needing something that he can use and that I can manage so he doesn't have to.

Now, if quickbooks has something like this i'll definitely look into it.
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked into it and they do have a *web version* per say but am looking for something to download and install myself instead of using an external service
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think quick books does have a client\server feature but that might be something that they would charge you a recurring subscription for.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like your after some sort of apache based internal server. As for specific scripts I cannot be of help. I know if I was in his situation I'd look at installing Apache. You could then create an offline website which would run on your system.
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Sounds like your after some sort of apache based internal server. As for specific scripts I cannot be of help. I know if I was in his situation I'd look at installing Apache. You could then create an offline website which would run on your system.

Yes I already have this done and lined up using CentOS so hosting a web server is not a problem;

It's the script I'm looking for to have the software run on a web application as opposed to a locally installed application.

Example Scenario : Computer crashes but do not lose customer database or the software or have to spend all day re-installing from backups; Instead use the laptop until the desktop is back up and running (since it runs in a browser);

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts