Small businesses

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone here have a non-technology or non-web design related small business that you operate in addition to your regular day jobs? I'm kind of curious to see what everybody else does. I'm getting burned out working on computers all day and I've got a few ideas for small businesses I might try doing on evenings and weekends and see if that takes off. If anything it will kind of mix things up a little bit and give me a little bit of new variety.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't, but if I did, I think that I might give a go at making some extra money with photography. I.E. turn a fun hobby into profit.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

My sister has a photography business. She sells photos and does weddings too. However, she does also uses the internet to help sell those photos so I guess it still involves technology. I think many businesses these days do though to some degree. Her site:

HQ Photography

It works out great for her because she loves photography so she has lots of fun at the same time.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having a website for your business is almost a necessity these days. Without it you are very limited to who your potential customers might be.

One of the ideas I've had is making wooden canoe paddles. I love canoeing, and I like wood working, so I could combine the two into something productive. The problem though is that you have to find customers to buy your product. I've got quite a few retailers within less than 100 miles who might be able to sell my product, but the internet is still going to be a key tool in the success of whatever business I choose to go with.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
My sister has a photography business. She sells photos and does weddings too. However, she does also uses the internet to help sell those photos so I guess it still involves technology. I think many businesses these days do though to some degree. Her site:

HQ Photography

It works out great for her because she loves photography so she has lots of fun at the same time.

Sorry to go off topic here, but Brian did your sister take your wedding photos?

I ask because i was asked to do the photographs for my brothers wedding a couple of years ago and thought i would also enjoy the day at the same time. Unfortunately it wasn't as good a day for me as i had hoped because i obviously wanted to get the best photographs i could for my brother and his wife.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

My sister did not do our wedding photography. The place we were married I don't think allowed 3rd party photographers, we were forced to use theirs. They tried to cross-sell us all sorts of stuff, the photography was one of them.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
One of the ideas I've had is making wooden canoe paddles. I love canoeing, and I like wood working, so I could combine the two into something productive. The problem though is that you have to find customers to buy your product. I've got quite a few retailers within less than 100 miles who might be able to sell my product, but the internet is still going to be a key tool in the success of whatever business I choose to go with.

I'm wondering if you'd have a better chance creating and testing prototype paddle designs to sell to paddle manufacturers to be mass-produced.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could probably do that, but paddles are pretty simple machines so coming up with something new isn't easy. I'm thinking I could do customized paddles though, a customer would special order an exact length that is perfect for their body and paddling style, and could customize it with which ever kinds of woods they want and stuff like that.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do people lose paddles often enough for a built-in GPS transmitter to be viable ? Even if not, custom stuff is never cheap, something to ease a users mind about being able to recover their paddle if they're somehow left up the creek without it could be cool. :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never lost one, but 2 summers ago on the Dismal River in Nebraska by dad bent the aluminum shaft on a kayak paddle right in the center and when we tried to straighten it out it broke and we had to lash it back together with sticks and string and duct tape. A paddle with a GPS transmitter or even just a little radio beacon that doesn't use GPS would be something a guy could sell in ThinkGeek.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sold Carhartt Red Wings and Danners for a while in a local surplus store.
It really was interesting to meet people in construction, plumbing, the Amish, etc. A job where you could show up, learn a few things about what each boot does, look through the carhartt catalog, and help someone find what they want.

I wouldn't recommend it though, set hours, price changes, etc.

As a business I would replace this towns disgusting DQ with a Quiznos/Panera Bread/DQ cafe that has wifi and such. No quiznos/panera within an hour from here, and that DQ has to go. I think it would be win/win!

I was in Iowa and ate at a Taco Bell - KFC.
That was elite in itself, kfc biscuits and taco bell gordita, mmm. The first one I seen like that.

But hey the restaraunt business needs brick and sunk costs, and most don't succeed.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Sherwin Williams a block away from me, Home Depot down the street, tile and coatings factory two turns and about 30 minutes down the road, a day labor place across the street from me that's closed on the weekends, and I've seen a bunch of tile roofs that could use a paint job during my bike rides through the area.

I originally moved where I am a few years ago to be closer to work as a painter. I know there's work here.

My problem is I don't like selling and all of the people I know who are good at it smoke crack.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I could do anything physical where I'm not just sitting at a desk for 8+ hours a day. Like last Friday I helped my uncle cut down a bunch of trees on his property, then we winched them out to his log landing and today a truck is going to come and pick them up. His average that he gets from the mill for a truck load of logs is $900, then $300 of that goes to the truck driver. I had fun doing the work, got free food from my aunt, and I'll make a little bit of cash out of that.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear "log landing" and I think of the show "Axe Men" on either Discovery or History channel. :)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

The place at my uncle's isn't quite as dramatic or as dangerous as the ones on tv. His is just kind of a clear spot along a road with a couple piles of firewood and cedar trees cut for fence beams (which he also sells) and some longer "dimension wood", or wood that will go to the mill and be cut into lumber that you'll buy at the lumber yard. He use to sell trees to be made into pulp for paper, but the pulp mill in Missoula closed last year.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know why, but I keep coming back to thoughts about how to cross the outdoors with technology. :scratchhead:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about night vision scuba diving goggles?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

They would only work during the day wouldn't they, and at a depth where there is enough light to amplify ? Interesting idea.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Night vision goggles need some light. NVG's don't work worth a crap in complete darkness. So they would only be good near the surface and during specific periods of light.

I used to work on NVG's when I was in the Marines.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a crazy idea that involves hundreds of tiny white lasers that fire for fractions of a second 2-3 at a time out into the darkness to bounce off of things for night vision to pickup.

The thought is that a brief enough, small enough, beam of light would be enough for the goggles to pickup, but not enough for anything around to see.

That would be awesome for hunting at night I bet. I wonder if it would work, I imagine hundreds of tiny lasers would cost a small fortune making it prohibitively expensive though. :(
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The AN/PVS-7 series night vision goggles actually have their own IR source for precisely that reason. It is really there for doing map reading in low light conditions. It can be turned on and off when needed. The bad thing is that it is detectable by others wearing night vision.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My dad told me once that wearing night vision is cool but is really throws off your depth perception. He said it isn't very easy driving with night vision.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just thought of something else. NVGs are generally pretty heavy aren't they ? How would I keep my head from sinking and my butt from floating up with NVSGs under water ?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The PVS-7 series are not heavy at all, maybe a pound.

And yes they do through off your depth perception, walking with them on is even difficult.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

My dad got rear ended once when they were doing a night time convoy. This was back in the days that they had the old jeeps, and they had these little covers over the headlights and tail lights that only let a little slit of light through. The jeep in front of him stopped, then he stopped, then the jeep behind him plowed into him. That was back in the 80s when the night vision goggles were the great big things that strap onto your whole head and around your jaw and stuff, nowadays I think they just click into your helmet.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, when you guys say night vision goggles, I'm thinking about the things Jeff Goldblum tells the kid to put down in the movie Jurassic Park. lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts