Snakes!

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a picture that was taken in some hills by where I live.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's crazy. What kind of snakes are those?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rattlesnakes I believe. If you look at the ones at the top you can see the rattles.
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Auburn, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

There was a huge rattlesnake in my yard once. Remembering the experience, I don't even want to see that many rattlesnakes in a picture... -backs away from this thread anxiously-
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to have nightmares about large groups of snakes like that, I get chills any time I see it's actually possible.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Judas freaking H. Lampshade, thats is a butt load of snakes! Being from Nebraska, we have lots of snakes, but the only ones I've seen in the wild are bull snakes and garter snakes, with the exception of 3 or 4 diamond back rattle snakes but that has been years, I was probably ten years old last time I saw a rattler outside of the zoo. And never any that big either, just little boogers a foot or foot and a half long.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I on the other hand don't mind the snakes too much, but don't ever ever bring a spider near me ... I'll do backflips ...

but I must say SpooF, that is pretty ridiculous ... How far away from your home are they? close enough to actually come to your house?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I enjoy snakes but those look like timber rattlers and you wouldn't catch me close enough to even take that picture *lol. Very nice shot.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You must have one friggin' good zoom...or some balls.

Brave one.

In the near 6 months i was in Oz (most of time during their summer) i never once saw a snake nor did i see many big spiders. I could probably in one hand tell you the amount of tarantulas i did see, and only once did i fear a little bit. I was cleaning the back of my car out (it was a Station Wagon) and this massive Huntsman was just sitting there sort of camouflaged...i shudder just thinking about it.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why are there so many clumped together like that. Only time I have found them, they are alone.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't they have big group snake dens that they huddle together inside in the winter to kind of share body warmth, or is that just a hollywood thing? Or maybe they're mating.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have a lot of Rattlers where I live (Eastern Oregon). Some of the people I know would ove to run across that scene. DINNER!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't mind trying snake, they say it has kind of a fish meat texture and it really actually does taste like chicken. Some of those snakes are big enough to make a good meal too.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to let everyone know, I didn't take the picture. It was sent to me in an email. Turns out the picture is a hoax.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/901/story/197227.html
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spoof, I have been mislead. =(
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too have been mislead. There is a picture that has been around for years in my area of a guy with a HUGE dead rattle snake on a shovel, and everybody says it was caught just outside their city limits just a few days before, but I've been seeing the same picture for years and years and in different towns.

//sorry if you saw this post incomplete a few minutes ago, I got a little click happy
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a matter of fact, here is that picture:

• Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um... yeah, see, I knew it was a hoax. I just didn't want to ruin it for you guys. 8)

... I really don't like rattlesnakes.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well Its a real picture lol, just not from my area.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did notice it was kind of a desert-like picture, but I've never been to Washington so I figured maybe there are dry places. I'd like to know where that other big snake was killed, but I suppose we'll never know unless the guy in the picture just happens to be an ozzu member.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well we've got a 30,000 out of 6,500,000,000 chance that he might be a member ... so that's a 0.0004615% chance we have there ... nice ...
  • Snow is on Fire
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
but I suppose we'll never know unless the guy in the picture just happens to be an ozzu member.

Aw, shucks! You caught me! :lol:
  • Staed
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really hate snakes, luckilly here in sweden is poor with snakes. I would freak out if i lived in that area.

Ps now i will never travel to Eastern Oregon
  • Himalayan
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snakes are really very dangerous I found one snake 2 days ago at my neighbor's house and its very difficult to make it out from the house.
  • Zwirko
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: 55° N, 3° W

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merlyn wrote:
Why are there so many clumped together like that. Only time I have found them, they are alone.

I think they hibernate in a communal nest - so as to share body heat over the winter. This picture may have been taken just after they had woken up from hibernation and were leaving the den. I'm no snake expert, so don't take my word on this. It also looks like they are all going into that hole rather than leaving. Maybe the photographer spooked them or something?
  • Divinyl
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Sydney, Ozland.

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I used to have nightmares about large groups of snakes like that, I get chills any time I see it's actually possible.

heh, no kidding! I used to dream that too (when I was about 5 or 6), except when I woke up the snakes were STILL there! I am telling you now, I am never looking at that pic again!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Divinyl wrote:
joebert wrote:

heh, no kidding! I used to dream that too (when I was about 5 or 6), except when I woke up the snakes were STILL there! I am telling you now, I am never looking at that pic again!

When I was 3-4 I remember waking up walking down the stairs and greeted by voiceless bundle of colorful nice snakes sticking vertically on the big bungalow; hall-way wall like a decoration, except it's real..

I'm not exaggerating, I have very deep good long-term memory.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Snakes feel real nice. I held a few at different occasions (not poisonous ones, I hasten to add) and loved the feel of them - the first time I was really surprised, as I imagined they would be kind of slimy and cold, and actually they're warm, dry, slightly raspy, and incredibly powerful - you feel the pure muscle right under the skin.

In japan we often had big long snakes cross our path through the grass field leading towards the archery range. Pretty things. Never seemed much interested in us though. Same down in Croatia where we had a house - no rattlers but you could get a viper or two crawling around the yard. I remember one right by the gate - very impressive animal... Again, they never paid any heed to us.

Also I had some Chinese friends in Bangladesh who made this brilliant dinner for me once (I was helping their daughters learn English, so it was like a 'thank-you' dinner thing) and the most interesting things they served were snake (delicious, tastes a little like frog but not as sinewy and stringy - nice clean chunks of white meat, nice delicate flavour, plus the light sauce - yummmm!!) and pigs heart stew (chewey and rich, bites back kind of like octopus but a very juicy flavour). Lovely dinner, all in all....
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Seems to me you traveled a lot, Celandine, really good to hear about it more next time. Maybe you should start a thread about 'My Adventure'?

:)
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha I think I'd better keep it to throwing in little snips of 'celandine's adventure' when they seem appropriate to the topic at hand....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 31 posts