Snow Storm

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We get -4F here in Kansas... I actually got a minor frost-bite... my toes turned dead white and I couldn't feel them at all... Cold water burned my toes, but revived them as well. Snow here is also not merciful :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll tell you what, the weather here right now is how i like it. We are going through some sort of big freeze and have done for about 2-3 weeks now. Temperatures reached -15C last night and still more snow.

I love it when snow stays, and this is the longest i have seen snow stay for years now.
  • HelgaValerie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • HelgaValerie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wonder, were you serious about the car inshurance?
it's kind of surprising to see someone say this aloud)))
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, i was joking.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I see the eastern coast of the US is experiencing what experts believe will be the biggest snow storm in a decade.

We got the backend of that today SB :mrgreen:

It started at 8am GMT and ended at 1600. More to come for the next two weeks.
Attachments:
raceya.jpg

Two kids having a race on the white stuff.

• suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I actually got a minor frost-bite...

You be very careful of toes bogey my late sis got frostbite in 2000 and almost lost her toes, she ended up with diabetes.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:
Quote:
I actually got a minor frost-bite...

You be very careful of toes bogey my late sis got frostbite in 2000 and almost lost her toes, she ended up with diabetes.

A person could get diabetes from frostbite? :shock:

Thanks for that warning, I gotta find a way to keep my toes warm.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes you must bogey,

Diabetes if goes unchecked is very much a killer still.

My sis went to Scotland with her hubby, he was a scout master and she caught the frostbite in Scotland. If she had lost the big toe to frostbite then she would have lost her balance on that foot...crippled..

Its not just that either Bogey. If your overweight with Diabetes you must diet, follow a strict diet can lose some eyesight and have to have laser treatment which is not pleasant.

Sometime later she got sick with a bug which caused septaceamia and because she could'nt take her diabetes meds she went into a coma over a weekend and she died in our intensive care unit.

So many things can cause Diabetes get checked anyway (water and sugar levels regular) and as you already know keep warm feet and head in winter.

Back to snow
Attachments:
backgarden.jpg

No green to be seen in my garden lol

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

really sorry to hear that Suzie, it's interesting to see how serios something you hear about can be sometimes. I don't often think much of diabeties as a killer, or at least a leading cause to some sort of complications leading to death.

My health has been a bit funny recently and there are some things i really cannot be bothered getting checked up on. I kinda feel more interested in seeing the doctor now because of reading your post. It sort of made that so very real.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like the cold snap in the UK still doesn't look like it's going away. Another week expected and tonight is supposed to be a record breaking night for the lowest temperatures...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8446523.stm
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

We got about 4 inches of snow followed by two days of sleet and freezing rain, and now it is all frozen solid. Its funny because I accidentally dropped my key for our post office box in the slush in my driveway, and just yesterday afternoon I found it frozen solid in the ice. We've got a spare, but I think I'll take a hatchet to it and get my key back.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lucky me

Quote:
Issued by The National Weather Service
Pittsburgh, PA
2:30 pm EST, Thu., Jan. 7, 2010

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAYS A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST SATURDAY.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAYS THE COMMUTE HOME THIS EVENING CAN BE CHALLENGING AS SNOW BEGINS TO ACCUMULATE AND MAKE UNTREATED PAVEMENTS SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAYS SNOW AMOUNTS WILL REACH 2 TO 4 INCHES IN STEADY SNOW LATE BY LATE TONIGHT FOLLOWED BY POTENTIALLY ANOTHER 2 TO 4 INCHES IN FREQUENT SNOW SHOWERS FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We're hoping to get a 'dusting' here in SC. Just imagine, 1 flake hits the ground and the whole city/county is going to shut down. Hehehehe
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8447023.stm

Never seen the UK like that before... to be honest I dont think anyone has lol
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could live here

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_n ... on-NY-Snow

The last I heard they had 55 inches on the ground and snow in the forecast for the next few days. It had snowed for 9 days straight.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
We're hoping to get a 'dusting' here in SC. Just imagine, 1 flake hits the ground and the whole city/county is going to shut down. Hehehehe

Sounds like most of Texas. If it gets below freezing they declare it a severe winter weather event.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
Sounds like most of Texas. If it gets below freezing they declare it a severe winter weather event.

Ha! Yes! Exactly like that.

Outcome: Much ado about nothing. :) I don't even think it flurried.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its funny because a couple weeks ago I asked the office secretary how often they cancel school for snow days up here. She said in the 15 years she has worked here they only did once, and it was because there was 7 feet of snow on the roof and they were doing it for safety in case it caved in. Then literally 2 days after I asked her that we had a canceled day because there was enough freezing rain over night that two school buses went off the road before they could even get their first kids, one of them they had to call in a heavy duty tow truck to pull out. Something like 85% of our students ride the bus to school, so if the buses can't run then nobody would be here.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The snow is still hitting some parts of the UK and is understandably getting a bit boring for some people, however at least some Police Officers in England had a bit of fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMPROa70RJg
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
y health has been a bit funny recently and there are some things i really cannot be bothered getting checked up on. I kinda feel more interested in seeing the doctor now because of reading your post. It sort of made that so very real.

Initially it was an infection from holiday. Then of course when you have the runs you don't want to eat anything. Diabetics have to eat then take meds...vicious circle.

Everyone should have at least a six monthly..everything. So if this has helped someone hot foot it to their GP I am happy.

SB go see the GP and thanks!

Nucleo, We're still covered in snow, no grit, no bins emptied..argeeeeeeeeeeeeee...lazy <dirty word> I saw that in an email through a list I am on..lolololol...the dirty word thing...what a gentleman!

S
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB,

Good vid! He should have broke his freaking neck.

I had to be a witness yesterday in a mobile phone case. The policemen did'nt turn up till after lunch, we were there at 09.30am.

When he did turn up looking at his paperwork his body language was crap when reading. Wiping his brow rubbing his face..sighing.

In court he could'nt remember seeing the hedgerow he saw my son using the phone from the other side of the hedgerow..

He said it was silver in color, blackberrys are...black :mrgreen:

The silver he saw was the silver VW emblem on the steering wheel but how, he pulled the van from the back of the van.

My son represented himself due to hire of a solicitor for the case is £500, he was exonerated on two charges one for the phone, the other the policeman said he had no licence.

In court they tried to trip me but it did'nt work :mrgreen:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This weekend brought at least 20-24 inches to the Pittsburgh area in places. The weather forecast for tomorrow night is predicting another 6-8 inches possible. I have friends in Maryland and Virginia that got over 30 inches over the weekend.

Here's some of what I had to dig out.
Attachments:
100_1463.jpg
Attachments:
100_1464.jpg
Attachments:
100_1465.jpg
Attachments:
100_1466.jpg
Attachments:
100_1467.jpg
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It pays to drive a jeep in weather like that! But when you have a jeep, you can't use the weather as an excuse to play hookie at work.

Its practically spring out here, we aren't even forcasted to go below freezing until next Monday. The lake ice here is melting pretty quick already, and there are an awful lot of little tweety birds coming around that don't usually show up until April or May, so spring time is early this year. They say the northern rockies are in an el nino cycle this year and are expecting an active forest fire season because of the lack of snow over the winter.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it slightly ironic that I live in one of the few areas in the country (upstate NY) that is actually prepared to handle (and continue functioning normally in) this kind of snow, and yet we are receiving absolutely NONE of this. Nothing. Nadda. Zip.

Not that I'm complaining ;)
  • rcs74
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't hate but this Floridian is enjoying the little bit of cool weather we are getting. We had a beautiful cool and sunny weekend with highs in the 60s. Went car shopping and everything!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I find it slightly ironic that I live in one of the few areas in the country (upstate NY) that is actually prepared to handle (and continue functioning normally in) this kind of snow, and yet we are receiving absolutely NONE of this. Nothing. Nadda. Zip.

Not that I'm complaining ;)

Same here! From what I'm told, by Christmas there is usually three feet on the ground and it stays there until the spring thaw. And this winter we've gotten barely 2 feet of snow! I am complaining, I came to the mountains just for the winters but so far this winter has been almost identical to Nebraska winters. My uncle does forestry work and a couple times each year he does snow surveys way out in the woods and up high in the mountains. Last years measurements were an average of 120 inches, and he told me so far the most he's seen this year is 51 inches.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I am complaining, I came to the mountains just for the winters...

That's what makes the world so interesting. To realize that there are people like yourself that actually "choose" to be around that much snow baffles my mind. lol.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

We got over 30 in WV. Loads of fun and another foot tonight is expected.
  • Orajames
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My front door was opened to reveal a wall of snow the plow truck didn't feel would be an issue for us working class people to dig through in order to get to digging our cars out... haha. Ahhh, an eventful weekend. Should'a planned a trip to Florida, hear it's nice down their.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or how about when you are driving a small car, and the plow leaves a long mound of snow in the middle of the road and you get high centered and stuck when you are trying to pull into your own driveway. Yet another reason to drive a jeep!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 79 posts