Snow Storm

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see the eastern coast of the US is experiencing what experts believe will be the biggest snow storm in a decade. 16 inches fell in one day which is the highest ever recorded on one December day.

We have had some snow here where i am, but nothing really exciting. It has however stayed for a few days which is kinda cool. Temperature tonight is expected to be as low as -5C. I love extreme weather conditions, i love the chaos the snow causes in the UK. I particularly love driving in it and more recently i've been keen on driving in it in the hope someone crashes into my car, writes it off and i get the insurance money to pay for a newer car.

I think i leave a topic like this at least once a year on Ozzu. I am just feeling slightly jealous of the snow in Eastern USA. I have not seen snow remotely like that for nearly 5 years now.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

We're not getting any snow here in Florida, but boy did we ever get some really strong winds the other day and a nice little cold snap today.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cold snap? 85 this morning, eh? :P
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Cold snap? 85 this morning, eh? :P

Was thinking the same thing actually :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's 55 at 11AM here. Keep in mind this is FLORIDA. lol
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I am just feeling slightly jealous of the snow in Eastern USA. I have not seen snow remotely like that for nearly 5 years now.

Yo, it almost never snows in NYC (since I've been living here), but I grew up inland further north and always miss the "winter wonderland". But we did get a good 12-18" inches in a few hours last night!

I live in the middle of the Rockaway peninsula, which is seven miles long, less than a mile wide at many points (including this one -- its only three blocks side to side) and several miles out into the ocean, so when it's stormy, it's really stormy.

I spent half my elementary school years in Florida. When we first started going there for six month stretches, I totally hated it because there was no snow. 85 at Christmas was just not Christmas to me. In retrospect, I had a great time, there was nothing miserable about it. But whenever someone asked me if I liked living in Florida, I'd say no: "I hate it here -- there's no SNOW!"

:)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

We got blasted with about 2 feet in one night last Thursday, but the weather's been pretty mild since then.

We've had a surprisingly mild winter here in the upstate NY region. That was our first real snowfall this winter, something that usually happens in October. Not that I'm complaining.

NYC and the D.C. area is getting hit pretty hard from what I hear, but we're seeing very little of it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I woke up to Saturday
Attachments:
IMG_1890.jpg
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wish it was the same here. Shortly after leaving the original topic we had alot of heavy snowfall, the proper kinda that lays, and it was doing a good job. After half an hour though it stopped with about an inch of snowfall. There has been none overnight, although right now there is more snow so hopefully this will do something.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish it would have never came. Somewhere under that snow is my driveway and I spent over 4 hours yesterday shoveling it so I could get to work this morning. There is nothing like being essential personnel when the government decides to close.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its been between 30 and 35 degrees and raining for a week straight here. It was actually bad enough Thursday of last week with ice and freezing rain that a school bus went off the highway and the other busses were having a hard time driving straight so they canceled school. We've only gotten about 8 inches of snow this year, which is unusual because I guess normally by Christmas there is at least 2 feet on the ground but by the end of the week it is suppose to stay below freezing and we'll get more accumulation.

The town I use to live in in Nebraska has already gotten upwards of 50 inches of snow, but snow there is stupid. It will snow like mad for a day or two, then it will all melt off in a couple days, and a few weeks later repeat.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was riding snowmobiles all weekend....... I want MORE snow please!!!
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just want SOME snow!!! Looking out my window right now, I can see maybe 300 feet into the fog, and the end zone of the football field is completely flooded with more rain falling.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who me? I've only lived here since the beginning of April, but even when we got here there was still 3 feet of snow on the ground and it snowed a couple days a week for about the first month. There was snow on the higher peaks well into July, and that melting snow is what feeds most of the smaller creeks and ponds around here. From what I'm told, it usually starts snowing in the middle of October so the winters are fairly long. It takes a special kind of person to live here, there are only about 200 people in each town in this part of the state and to go grocery shopping or something you need to plan for the extra driving time.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kc0tma, sounds like my kinda place.

The thing i dislike about snow is when it melts. I was out driving tonight and while the snowfall was nowhere near as bad as what grinch got we still have aot of bad roads to drive on. I was having alot of fun enjoying the sliding about. Thankfully i am a very good driver and can control the car very well.

It has been alot worse up where my mum and dad live (150 miles north from here) and it's due to continue until beyond Christmas. I am actually driving up the road after work tomorrow, so i am looking forward to that drive very much.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I need a tauntaun to survive the night, it's too cold for me to hang around.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: @ tauntaun.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

At first I didn't know what a tauntaun was until I googled it. All I saw was a bunch of guys riding them around and I wondered how that would keep you warm, then I saw this:

I guess I'm not nerdy enough to have ever seen those movies.....
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol Yeah, my geek slipped out a little bit there.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Star Wars weather
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
At first I didn't know what a tauntaun was until I googled it. All I saw was a bunch of guys riding them around and I wondered how that would keep you warm, then I saw this:

You have never seen Star Wars? That is pretty amazing.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
kc0tma wrote:

You have never seen Star Wars? That is pretty amazing.

Not really, i too haven't seen them either. Not in any great hurry to see it either.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen the old ones, but it was years ago. Just the other day I watched the family guy star wars on cartoon network though! The new ones I've never seen.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey so you probably think it's like a Kangeroo, with some helping friendly pouch, right?

Guess again. They cut the thing open and killed it while the flesh was still warm! Apparently, the Mongols and Vikings both used to do that with their horses in an emergency.
Attachments:
tauntaun_sleepingbag-thumb-550x444-20516.jpg
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Weren't those sleeping bags actually an April Fools day gag but they were such a big hit that they made them for real? Thats funny that their trick back fired on them like that.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm loving the entrails on the insides of the bag.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haven't seen Star Wars? Don't want to see them? That's just sad, you curmudgeons. :P
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I barely see snow in Western Kansas...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just can't wait to get to Seattle.
  • henrinaiara
  • henrinaiara

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I see the eastern coast of the US is experiencing what experts believe will be the biggest snow storm in a decade. 16 inches fell in one day which is the highest ever recorded on one December day.

We have had some snow here where i am, but nothing really exciting. It has however stayed for a few days which is kinda cool. Temperature tonight is expected to be as low as -5C. I love extreme weather conditions, i love the chaos the snow causes in the UK. I particularly love driving in it and more recently i've been keen on driving in it in the hope someone crashes into my car, writes it off and i get the insurance money to pay for a newer car.

I think i leave a topic like this at least once a year on Ozzu. I am just feeling slightly jealous of the snow in Eastern USA. I have not seen snow remotely like that for nearly 5 years now.

yeah, i read it in newspaper... my biggest condolence for all victims :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 79 posts