Someone order a doomsday device?

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently the Soviets threw one together back in the 80's. I'm curious to know what happens when some other country obliterates them and the 'ground sensors' pick it up. Goodbye US for good measures, I guess.

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/ ... f_deadhand
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you are a little paranoid.

Makes me think of Dr. Strangelove ("No fighting in the War Room!"). I didn't know until now anyone had thought of building one, tho. Kind of interesting, but on the other hand it does not seem to amount to anything different than would happen here if we were hit first -- no matter who in the chain of command was killed, etc, there would still be someone somewhere left in control and certainly at that point they would just retaliate as hard as they could.

Which also completely makes sense. If you have just been hit by a massive nuclear attack , the first thing you will want to do is curtail it's continuation, which the best bet there would be to try and disable your enemy. Ie, a massive counter-strike. Might as well be automated I say! :lol:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I think you are a little paranoid.

Ummm, sure...I'm not sure which part of what I said interprets as 'paranoid', you mind showing me? Just remember - if someone like me didn't come along to share such unique finds, you wouldn't have anywhere to showcase your awesome cunning and wits. :P
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Ummm, sure...I'm not sure which part of what I said interprets as 'paranoid', you mind showing me?

Clearly now you are paranoid about being paranoid, which is well known as the worst form of paranoia itself. ;)

Quote:
Just remember - if someone like me didn't come along to share such unique finds, you wouldn't have anywhere to showcase your awesome cunning and wits. :P

Aw shucks. Well thanks for that then UPSGuy.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where's that sarcasm emoticon when I really need it? *sigh*
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know whats really funny about paranoia is that I'm listening to the Alex Jones show right now.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually reading the words of other people on the screen, or if I've simply lost my mind and I'm sitting here staring at a blank box in the corner hallucinating.

The timing of things that happen is sometimes just to close for me to believe it's a coincidence. Surely this must all be a figment of my imagination.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

so a 9.0 earthquake hits russia and then.........
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Where's that sarcasm emoticon when I really need it? *sigh*

Don't forget: :roll: which it flows in many directions :lol: The lowest form of humour, my mom always said.

I'm am sure the Russians would not be so stupid as to allow an earthquake to set off planetary Armageddon. :roll:
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's supposed to be triggered automaticly by computers sensing the ground being hit my nukes. Not much difference between a large earthquake and nukes as far as the ground is concerned.

Not that it matters. I'm in a strategicaly unimportant place. :P
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not quite that dumb of a device:

Quote:
Perimeter ensures the ability to strike back, but it's no hair-trigger device. It was designed to lie semi-dormant until switched on by a high official in a crisis. Then it would begin monitoring a network of seismic, radiation, and air pressure sensors for signs of nuclear explosions. Before launching any retaliatory strike, the system had to check off four if/then propositions: If it was turned on, then it would try to determine that a nuclear weapon had hit Soviet soil. If it seemed that one had, the system would check to see if any communication links to the war room of the Soviet General Staff remained. If they did, and if some amount of time—likely ranging from 15 minutes to an hour—passed without further indications of attack, the machine would assume officials were still living who could order the counterattack and shut down. But if the line to the General Staff went dead, then Perimeter would infer that apocalypse had arrived. It would immediately transfer launch authority to whoever was manning the system at that moment deep inside a protected bunker—bypassing layers and layers of normal command authority. At that point, the ability to destroy the world would fall to whoever was on duty: maybe a high minister sent in during the crisis, maybe a 25-year-old junior officer fresh out of military academy. And if that person decided to press the button ... If/then. If/then. If/then. If/then.

And as for Oregon being safe, a few thousand nukes spread out a bit may just render every place important. Creepy that the thing is still sitting on go, too.

Quote:
To Blair, who today runs a think tank in Washington called the World Security Institute, such dismissals are unacceptable. Though neither he nor anyone in the US has up-to-the-minute information on Perimeter, he sees the Russians' refusal to retire it as yet another example of the insufficient reduction of forces on both sides. There is no reason, he says, to have thousands of armed missiles on something close to hair-trigger alert. Despite how far the world has come, there's still plenty of opportunity for colossal mistakes. When I talked to him recently, he spoke both in sorrow and in anger: "The Cold War is over. But we act the same way that we used to."...It might not actually be a button, he then explains. It could now be some kind of a key or other secure form of switch. He's not absolutely sure. After all, he says, Dead Hand is continuously being upgraded.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
It's not quite that dumb of a device:

Now: who wants to bet there is an American version?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone read the full article when I post these things? :hmm:

Quote:
The US did build versions of these technologies, deploying command missiles in what was called the Emergency Rocket Communications System. It also developed seismic and radiation sensors to monitor for nuclear tests or explosions the world over. But the US never combined it all into a system of zombie retaliation. It feared accidents and the one mistake that could end it all.

Instead, airborne American crews with the capacity and authority to launch retaliatory strikes were kept aloft throughout the Cold War. Their mission was similar to Perimeter's, but the system relied more on people and less on machines.

And in keeping with the principles of Cold War game theory, the US told the Soviets all about it.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Does anyone read the full article when I post these things? :hmm:

No no -- I mean the one you don't know about, silly. I'll put up $500 right now they have a highly classified automated system just like that.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

We may never know until it's needed. Depends on how much you mean to imply by "like" I guess. I'm sure we have something out there. It would be dumb not to. I just can't picture it being centralized to the ground and underneath our country. AFAICT, our military is doing a good job at making advances in removing the human element from the equation, but I would imagine we're well beyond a turn-key solution with the problems that article described. Even back then they thought it wise to take to the skies and remotely locate other defenses for just such a situation.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
I'm sure we have something out there. It would be dumb not to. I just can't picture it being centralized to the ground and underneath our country.

No it probably depends on unmanned satellites :shock:
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh, the equivalent of popping the world into a huge microwave. I like it!
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like Iran's going to start feeling the heat from the UN over the new agreement regarding nukes.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts