Sony Hacked Again

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

A group who call themselves Lulz Security announced a fresh attack on Thursday where they were able to obtain data on more than one million user accounts on the Sony website earlier this week. Apparently Sony stored all of its data in plaintext, so it was all for the taking. The breach of data includes names, passwords, e-mail addresses, home addresses and date of births. They were able to grab the data by exploiting a vulnerability on a Sony page advertising the company's Ghostbusters franchise.

A sony spokesperson wasn't able to confirm or deny the breach, but Sony has taken down the webpage identified.

Sony has still been trying to recover from major breaches in April and May which forced the company to take down its Playstation, Qriocity and Sony online gaming networks.

You can read more here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sony-prob ... 61479.html
http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/02/technol ... lulz_hack/

Lulz Security have also recently claimed responsibility for hacking the website of PBS where they posted a fake story that Tupac was still alive and living in New Zealand.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read about sony being hacked two times before, this is the third time in what I think is a short time span. /=

They can't let this happen for a forth time - customers must be loosing all their trust already!!! :o
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't even belong to the PSN but this is getting scary. We're about to cancel our direct tv and connect the PS3 to the internet and use netflix for all our entertainment but not if this keeps happening.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

kc0tma wrote:
I don't even belong to the PSN but this is getting scary. We're about to cancel our direct tv and connect the PS3 to the internet and use netflix for all our entertainment but not if this keeps happening.

Does Netflix on PS3 require PSN? I thought it was just a standalone app.

There are, of course, other Netflix solutions (Xbox, Wii, media PC, etc) ;)

Personally, I very rarely ever watch live TV. Netflix is fantastic.
  • lemmonsj
  • Born
  • Born
  • lemmonsj

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep, you have to log into PSN in order for netflix to work.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c ... psn_outage

did anyone see this like omg here is the prequel to the story, Sony laid off a lot of their workers which are now witness to the class action lawsuit towards sony for their 24 day downtime due to their lax of security which they knew about but did nothing about it apparently.

So really sony is just asking for it and now everyone in the community is like well lets start testing everyone's security seams that corps only care for profit.
  • tomerh
  • Born
  • Born
  • tomerh

Post 3+ Months Ago

This a pretty bad news :) I hope this wont happen again it builds confidence among hackers to infiltrate big systems. Who knows whats next on this.. Sony should check on their security system once in a while...
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

everyone has been hacked from this, have you not noticed all the hacked media reports all over the internet. This is a revolution of the internet from the big company's picking on the little guys and there is no better way to say this, we are returning fire!

To me this is a community stand in, happens on a regular basis. When there is a fighting cause the troops will assemble and being the battlefield is the internet troops are all most unlimited and in vast numbers. There is not enough system administrators and security experts that could keep out the community, corporations will be put back in their place after setting off a C4 bomb rootkit in every major network across the world. After then there will be balance again.

This will also wake up company's to actually look at their security as all of us know that computers are like Swiss cheese at times and the loss of their data would save them a lot of trouble and embarrassment.
  • Shiuk
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Reno, Nevada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truly I think Sony should have a better security system , But it's really not their fault for being hacked.. Im a great fan of this company but really people will lose the focus of how great sony is and just leave for some other company not as great as sony but rising due to the popularity of how sony has been hacked and how the company rising still has not.

I agree being hacked is not something funny as most of my social networking accounts have been hacked by someone and I have to restart most of them now due to the insecurity of not setting security/recovery questions to the account. Otherwise I still would have free Access to those accounts.

Hacking can be really useful but is a terrible thing to do for example hacking video games. You have fun for the first little bit and then after a while.. Your online and people are like why are you hacking? Haven't you contemplated in your mind enough that it ruins your true potential in the game and you cannot really gain any experience except for something someone else has created.
Its not a fun thing to do at all.. As with Sony.. The hackers hacked them and everything was all fine at first then it completely reigned hell upon them because now people are going to lose the interest in sony and start going to the hackers and if they get known and they step out in public. The press and everything is going to be hammering down to them and pushing a conclusion that they will now be known frequently in society as the hackers of Sony.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should have a better security system??????

as a multi billion dolor business they should have a extreme network to monitor but guess what they don't and you know why..... They don't care about the people, they want money. If someone really wanted to protect their network it would be.

It took 4 security firms and FBI/CIA to get sony under control, like wtf how many company's do that. I have never seen google or Microsoft run to the government because the rick suits are stupid and useless.

PlayStation fandom was the rebellion alliance that started over that had to be different from the crowd. I have never classed sony as a game developer ever because they mostly produce crap to make their stock holders happy and really i have noticed in a very wide broad view that the stupid part of society buys PS and the more hardcore gamers go for xbox.

To confirm the point, Sony is like them crap selling toy stores they look cool but they are cheap and break easy and quickly loose interest.

No disrespect to the Sony fans of today but over the years that has been my view on things.

Now this new poster above that first few lines got me thinking he works for sony kissing that much ass but stand up for them as much as you want. Sony got done over because they are stupid with no clue what to do, but what does a stupid person with lots of money do when they panic...........They throw their money at the government and hope to survive under their desk like a war drill.
  • Shiuk
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Reno, Nevada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Have to say yes I agree 100% with you....
  • Stern5556
  • Born
  • Born
  • Stern5556

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your a gamer or do not want ps3 for anything just get an xbox it can do everything a ps3 does but it only doesn't play blue ray discs that the only difference but I don't mind it mine works fine=)
  • erikko
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • erikko

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must say hackers are getting better and better each year.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

erikko wrote:

Yes. In Sony's case, no. Sony was hacked with
Code: [ Select ]
" or 1=1--
The most basic SQL hack on the planet. Non-sanitized data will be the death of larger organizations.

Attachments:
sqlinjection.png

Love to use this whenever it comes up. Makes me laugh every time. Also, I do not have a clue where I got that from anymore, if anybody does know let me know I'll give credit.
EDIT: Credit to XKCD. Thanks spork!
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

XKCD
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
erikko wrote:

Yes. In Sony's case, no. Sony was hacked with
" or 1=1--
The most basic SQL hack on the planet. Non-sanitized data will be the death of larger organizations.

sqlinjection.png
Love to use this whenever it comes up. Makes me laugh every time. Also, I do not have a clue where I got that from anymore, if anybody does know let me know I'll give credit.
EDIT: Credit to XKCD. Thanks spork!

hhmm never done sql injections but how the flapjack did
" or 1=1--
breach sony's security, it is mind boggling that something simple like that worked really.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what I understand the initial breach was done through that simple of an SQL injection, whether or not it was THAT exact one, I'm not sure, however it was as simple as that. User gained admin level access, used it to achieve database entry, and from there its all history. Sony has never confirmed this, but it is what the hackers posted as having done. The subsequent hacks by LULZSec were all done through simple injections, designed to embarrass the company as much as possible. Doing some high level attack that takes months to pull off only proves it can be done(everybody already knows this). A simple attack embarrasses them and shows how woefully inadequate their security is.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
From what I understand the initial breach was done through that simple of an SQL injection, whether or not it was THAT exact one, I'm not sure, however it was as simple as that. User gained admin level access, used it to achieve database entry, and from there its all history. Sony has never confirmed this, but it is what the hackers posted as having done. The subsequent hacks by LULZSec were all done through simple injections, designed to embarrass the company as much as possible. Doing some high level attack that takes months to pull off only proves it can be done(everybody already knows this). A simple attack embarrasses them and shows how woefully inadequate their security is.

it was pretty funny to read about, i was loving every article about it at the time. But it is still shocking to see lack of security in milti million billion dollar corporations.
  • lzqqqq
  • Born
  • Born
  • lzqqqq

Post 3+ Months Ago

This a pretty bad news I hope this wont happen again it builds confidence among hackers to infiltrate big systems. Who knows whats next on this.. Sony should check on their security system once in a while...
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

sony needs to hire the people hacking them to fix their code.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

A 23-year-old student, believed to be a member of hacktivist group LulzSec, has been arrested on suspicion of hacking the Sony Pictures website earlier this year.

The FBI confirmed the arrest yesterday of Cody Kretsinger, saying they believed he and co-conspirators had gained confidential data from Sony Pictures by carrying out an SQL injection attack.

Kretsinger faces a maximum sentence of 15 years prison if convicted.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/636325/suspected ... estigation
Moderator Remark: Enabled link for user

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts