SORBS may be closing.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are not familiar with SORBS they are a very popular Spam and Open Relay Blocking System (SORBS). Their hosting provider terminated their contract and as of June 22, they are officially "For Sale". Their website announces their "imminent closure":
Quote:
It comes with great sadness that I have to announce the imminent closure of SORBS. The University of Queensland have decided not to honor their agreement with myself and SORBS and terminate the hosting contract.

I have been involved with institutions such as Griffith University trying to arrange alternative hosting for SORBS, but as of 12 noon, 22nd June 2009 no hosting has been acquired and therefore I have been forced in to this announcement. SORBS is officially "For Sale" should anyone wish to purchase it as a going concern, but failing that and failing to find alternative hosting for a 42RU rack in the Brisbane area of Queensland Australia SORBS will be shutting down permanently in 28 days, on 20th July 2009 at 12 noon.

Quote:
For any hosting suggestions/provision, please be aware that the 42RU space is a requirement at the moment, and the service cannot be made into a smaller rackspace without a lot of new hardware, virtual hosting is just not possible. The SORBS service services over 30 billion DNS queries per day, and has a number of database servers with fast disk to cope with the requirements.

I have been unable to yet determine how this affects those of us who use SORBS DNSBL.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see anything outright anywhere that says you're in facing immediate issues if you're a user, but I did note this from http://www.dnsbl.com/ and 'nuff said that I would be searching for alternatives.

Quote:
My recommendation at this time is to cease using the various SORBS DNSBLs until and unless stable hosting is obtained by the list operator. I've already noticed intermittent issues accessing the SORBS website, and if their hosting is in flux it's likely to impact their ability to maintain the master database online. The net result is that you could have timeouts, delaying inbound mail, or you could have false positive blocking issues where mirrors of SORBS are caching data no longer intended to be published by the list operator.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Actually I had just removed them from my Intelligent Message Filtering Configuration.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Update looks like they've found a new host, relocated and it appears a purchase may be pending.

Quote:
SORBS has moved between data centers, unfortunately there were some minor issues with the new datacentre, and the legacy configuration of SORBS equipment. As such the outage lasted more than 48 hours. The routing and firewall issues are now resolved and most of the SORBS central services have been restored.

An announcement will be made regarding the purchase of SORBS in the near future. Please be patient.

http://www.us.sorbs.net/
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is really good news, glad they will still be functioning :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts