Sore pointer finger in right hand from typing

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the last month or so I've been having pains on the knuckle of my right hands' pointer finger and it took me until just now to figure out why.

In my left hand the same finger hits the same keys every time and I utilize my entire left hand on the keyboard, but with my right hand my pointer finger does most of the work because for some reason I switch between it and other fingers on the keys.

For instance sometimes I will hit the I key with my middle finger and sometimes it will get pressed with my pointer finger, depending on the word I'm typing and which finger is closer or whether the I is capitalized. The only keys my pinky touches are the enter/return key and the shift button for an uppercase I.

Another thing I noticed is when typing the word "pointer" my pointer finger is pressing the P, O, and I to make up the word. That's a lot of work for one finger.

Is this normal ?
Is there some sort of exercises I can do to let up on how much I use my right hands pointer finger ?

The thought of using a Dvorak layout comes to mind, but I really don't want to relearn to type all over again, especially if I'd just end up falling back to that one finger dominance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems you have too much free time... Do not litter your mind with useless information.. You type just like you can or want - and this is the best way for you.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If my knuckle hadn't been gradually getting sore and staying that way, the thought never would have crossed my mind. :)

It might be the extra mouse clicking I've been doing for a game I started playing recently too, I use the same finger for my left mouse button. I might need to cut back on that.

I would still like to figure out a way to utilize my entire right hand better when typing though. I bet it would even increase my word rate if I could.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bet it would increase your word rate.

I know it's a hassle, but try with some online typing tutors and see if you can force your overachieving finger to let the others take some of the stress. repetitive stress injuries are nasty and as you're unlikely to stop using a computer any time soon you want to keep that finger in good running order........ it's easy for me because they taught me to touch-type in elementary school, but all my fingers get approximately the same amount of use. (well not entirely, but almost. pinkies are a bit underused I suppose - particularly the one on the right hand - the left pinky is in charge of the letter 'a', most importantly, and the Shift key, which I use a lot)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your pointer finger should not be doing all the work if you are typing properly. I have the same problem with mine at times, but I'm certain it's from mouse clicks. I can be on computers as much as 15-18 hours a day and sometimes it just gets to be too much for both my finger and right wrist. When it starts to get sore, I reverse the click buttons and use my left hand for the mouse until it is back to normal. If I had any intelligence I would alternate on a daily basis instead of waiting until it hurt. Sometimes I'm not that smart ;)
  • playsitcool
  • Born
  • Born
  • playsitcool

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
For the last month or so I've been having pains on the knuckle of my right hands' pointer finger and it took me until just now to figure out why.

In my left hand the same finger hits the same keys every time and I utilize my entire left hand on the keyboard, but with my right hand my pointer finger does most of the work because for some reason I switch between it and other fingers on the keys.

For instance sometimes I will hit the I key with my middle finger and sometimes it will get pressed with my pointer finger, depending on the word I'm typing and which finger is closer or whether the I is capitalized. The only keys my pinky touches are the enter/return key and the shift button for an uppercase I.

Another thing I noticed is when typing the word "pointer" my pointer finger is pressing the P, O, and I to make up the word. That's a lot of work for one finger.

Is this normal ?
Is there some sort of exercises I can do to let up on how much I use my right hands pointer finger ?

The thought of using a Dvorak layout comes to mind, but I really don't want to relearn to type all over again, especially if I'd just end up falling back to that one finger dominance.

Is the pain behind the knuckle on the left side--not the knuckle itself?
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
It might be the extra mouse clicking I've been doing for a game I started playing recently too, I use the same finger for my left mouse button. I might need to cut back on that.

Buy a gaming mouse if you don't have one already, that way you can set up the properties (buttons) for reverse clicking. If you middle finger hurts after that and you start to sweat, rush to a hospital cause you could be coming down with the bird flu.
Hope that helps.
  • MasterZ
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried switching to Dvorak a couple of times.

It's hard to retrain yourself and you have to be dedicated, I wasn't dedicated enough.

But, I will say that when typing with it, it did seem a lot easier and faster. Common words mostly use keys that are on the home row so your fingers do not move much.

I would say try it if you have patience, determination, and some free time.
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you all familiar with the "homekeys"?.
The method most people are using is called the "hunt and peck" method where the typist hunts the key he/she wants to press then peck it with the finger they are most comfortable using.

Try the "touch typing" method.
http://www.customtyping.com/tutorials/k ... 75_per.jpg
This way you won't overuse a finger.
  • playsitcool
  • Born
  • Born
  • playsitcool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have pain behind my right pointer finger's joint which I think might be due to using the pad with my middle finger while simultaneously pushing the select button with my pointer. X-rays were negative.
  • playsitcool
  • Born
  • Born
  • playsitcool

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have pain behind my right pointer finger's joint which I think might be due to using the pad with my middle finger while simultaneously pushing the select button with my pointer. X-rays were negative.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since starting this thread I've both cut back on how often I play the game and forced myself to use the other fingers on my right hand when typing during non-time-critical tasks.

My finger is feeling better, and, I've started to utilize my right fingers more. :)

I think the major problem was all of that extra clicking I was doing.
  • LadySally
  • Born
  • Born
  • LadySally

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try using a program that can click your mouse with hotkeys (or automatically) like Sphere 10's Auto Mouse program.

I used to have unbearable pain in my hands and fingers from clicking the mouse at work ALL DAY and then at home. I installed this little program which allows me to click the mouse using hotkeys, and it worked like a charm - says it's for Pain in the fingers, carpal tunnel, trigger finger, tendonitus, finger arthritus, tenosynovitis.

You might also need to start doing cardio exercises (blood circulation cleanses tendons and muscles from toxins) and muscle building exercises on your arms also helps. Good nutrition with plenty of vitamin B helps people with this a lot too. 

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts