Spam Question

• dmcquade
  • Born
  • Born
  • dmcquade

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey folks,

I've been receiving a lot of spam that doesn't make any sense. They aren't trying to sell anything, they don't have any attachments (unless they're being removed somewhere along the way), and they seem quite pointless.

So I'm just wondering, what is the point of these things? Are they checking email addresses to see what bounces back?

\/\/\/\/ SAMPLE \/\/\/\/

Saluton,

Hohe hoholulu

His ears boxed if he had, returned mrs jane. The so constantly
characterises you to all your friends. Described a sharp
turn todeg. B.m. Then the river that, mr. Lane, is your
province. Mine is more staff, perhaps? Only a waiter carrying
a tray, and brought here as slaves. We should not be able
purse. I doubt if he has a stiver left. I know after this,
sanacharib king of the arabians and and perspective to the
countenance. For the rest, between the king of bagdad and
the minister of over there on scientific workso he said.
of course, great numbers in certain welldefined areas, as
silken rustlings, and her rapid flutterings past that the
fugitives might take either to lustadt, profit. The wouldbe
sellers dared not haggle..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was there a URL in with that?
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get a decent amount of those two. Just randomly generated blurbs of text. No urls :)
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find things like that usually have a image in them.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

E-mails like that often contain images with the intended advertisement. The gibberish is just strewn together phrases to attempt to bypass spam filters.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't opened one in such a long time (Hi from [insert name] I usually just delete), but I don't recall seeing any images. Maybe my filters just blocked the content for my safety :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should see if there's a hidden message. Maybe there's a virus going around that derives instructions from seemingly meaningless anonymous emails like that.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll send it to Michael Drosnin and have him search every x letters :P
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it's the lyrics for one of those Rap Songs & they accidently get sent to the wrong address.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://ezinearticles.com/?Gibberish-Spa ... &id=573584

Quote:
We have all seen many spam emails that just make no sense. They contain pure gibberish in the subject and body of the message, many times with no link, no sales pitch and just seem totally useless. So why do the Spammers send this junk?

There is much more to it than you may think. On the surface it just looks like they are trying to tick you off but under the hood it is much more cynical.

The main reason is the Spammers are pushing out millions of gibberish messages is to confuse the anti spam blocking filters. Spam filters that use statistical analysis or Bayesian antispam filter are prone to being fooled by these as "good" messages and therefore change their threshold for allowing such messages to pass. This threshold or scoring method is what many spam filters like SpamAssassin use to determine if a message is spam or not. This is also known as stuffing the statistics and are simply self serving to the Spammers.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't it easy enough to just block these servers before they've sent enough messages to tip the scale ?
I understand the concept of training the filters, but it seems like attempting to do so would just trigger other flags. :scratchhead:
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate spam. I hope every person guilty of it is punished by being chained to a rock and having their liver eaten out by a vulture, only to be regrown at midnight and have it happen all over again. It was good enough for Prometheus!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Isn't it easy enough to just block these servers before they've sent enough messages to tip the scale ?

No it's not. Primarily because they are frequently botnets. I can get the same identical dozen email spams from an equal amount of server IP's in about the same amount of time. Filtering spam appears to almost be an art. I think corporations/business have better means of spam filtering than does the typical email users. Notwithstanding MS Exchanges built in filtering capabilities, I use an open source (albeit outdated spam filter called ORFilter). Although it's no longer updated I like it because it filters nearly 1000+ spam mails a day, and those are the ones that actually get through the filter to head to my spam box. Those that come from IP addresses/blocks on DSNBL's get rejected immediately and I have no idea of what that number is because I never see them. But I like that particular spam filter proggy because I can add or remove DSNBL servers as needed, alter blacklists and whitelists for individual mails or entire domains as well as add keywords and weight them myself for severity via an XML config file.

In spite of that and in spite of my Exchange mail policies, and individual "rules" I have implemented for my own personal mailbox, I still get over 30 spam mails filtered to my Outlook Junk mail a day, and probably half a dozen that still reach my Inbox.

//Added note - and spoofing is, to me, funny as hell. Couldn't even tell you how many spam mails I've received from my own email addresses.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking source filtering, I didn't catch "bayesian" the first time.

Surely there's some sort of comprehension-y algorythm that could adjust the weight of an email based on the readability of the message ?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
I understand the concept of training the filters, but it seems like attempting to do so would just trigger other flags. :scratchhead:

But a lot of times you can't block the domains they come from because they will be from hotmail or yahoo or something like that, then you've got network users complaining that they can't get emails from gramma. A better thing would be for organizations with their own email servers to register an SPF record (wikipedia page). Then have your email server quarantine anything that doesn't pass the test.

We've had some fun with those customizable filters in our office. We told the filter to quarantine anything with certain keywords, but what is a spam email featuring the word "handcuffs" to the municipal light and water people is a legitimate email to the police department, so there has to be a bit of strategy with that. We also tried using regular expressions to block stuff, but we noodled that one up too. I forget what the phrase we were using the regex to find was, but it found each individual letter of that phrase spread out through an entire paragraph. So our city engineer wasn't getting legitimate email because our filter worked too good. We got a good laugh out of that one.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Maybe it's the lyrics for one of those Rap Songs & they accidently get sent to the wrong address.

Speaking of which, what's the deal with Madonnas new song? Who wrote the song and what the heck was he/she on? I feel sorry for younger people having limited choice on what "music" they can listen to.

"tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock" :hmm:
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

New? Did that just come out in Scotland? That song is like 3 years old lol
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

It's funny because those lyrics could be for any one of her songs. I'm talking about the 4 minute song (ft Justin Timberlake) that's doing the rounds here at the moment.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol :P
She's so original isn't she?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I feel sorry for younger people having limited choice on what "music" they can listen to.

There's always a choice man. In fact, we have the advantage of being able to listen to all of the great music that came before us, which rocks. :)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually the choice is very limited and you don't know it. There was a time, more or less before 1971, when a radio DJ could play whatever he or she wanted to play. It's called free form radio and it no longer exists, except on some college radio stations and a few other places.

A prime example of the is the so called classic rock stations which play about one tenth of the classic rock that exists. I was there when they made it and I know. One such group that is no longer heard is Bloodwyn Pig.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok - so we don't have a choice when it comes to radios. But with iPods, podcasts, other streaming media and all the other vivid forms of media playback we have I agree with spork.

Radios are so 90s.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
lol :P
She's so original isn't she?

I guess what concerns me the most about it is the video. You have Madonna (a 50 year old) dancing pretending to be 20. That sort of thing puts me off life.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some day you'll like to see some 50 year old dance.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of hijackers :lol: are you spamming this thread with Madonna's music or what??

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts