SPLIT: General Opinions on Mac Vs Pc

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

and that right there is why i still havent purchased a mac.. it just doesnt have enough things supporting it.. constantly search for compatible ways to do things that a pc already is set up to do... i think mac is superior though, just not main-stream enough to justify the purchase...

(sorry off topic i know)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

off topic
If Macs are so bad why do they still making it/? every single thing I have heard about Macs is that they stink.. I dont know why pwople keep buying it.

Anyways MSN Messengers has a voice chat too.

here is what I found looking in google
http://www.google.com.ar/search?sourcei ... oice+chats
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Macs have a lot going for them. Extremely well tested hardware, a BSD based operating system (yup, real UNIX), excellent color management (hence the graphics designers), and their hardware is generally way ahead of standard adoption. In fact, I'm using a DVD and i1394 equipped iMac with USB keyboard and mouse.... that may not sound like a big deal until you realize just how OLD this thing is.

Somewhere between 3 and 7% of the market uses Apple computers. This does limit your hardware and software choices; much like with Linux computers. But, what you can install works out-of-the-box. Furthermore, much of the open source software (which is usually much better than anything out of Redmond) compiles on the new operating system. Easy to use and UNIX... :)

How easy? Well, four years ago, I created a digital video studio based on an Apple computer and a miniDV recorder. Installation as simple as a piece of software and hooking up the Firewire. The equivalent task on a Windows 2000 box, two years later, still doesn't work right (crashes, corrupted video, etc.).

Oh... how do you delete programs in Windows? Un-install? Regedit? INI files? Do you remember the last person who tried to delete a program by removing the directory? Stupid eh? Well, not on Mac... that's how you do it. And, copying an application from one Mac to another is as simple as dragging a copy of the folder from one machine to the next.

Windows 95, Macintosh 89.

As for video conferencing. Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) includes ichat which support video conferencing using standardized protocols. (proprietary solutions suck.)

If that's not good enough for you. Then check Google!

So you think I'm a Mac head right? I'm running Mac OS X, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux 2.4, and Solaris 9 on a SPARC computer. All right here in this room. Hell, even a Palm. At work, I have professional experience with other operating systems such as netware (from v2 up to the current v6.5). during the past 15 years I have also used VAX/VMS, QNX, HP-UX, Windows 3/9x, UnixWare, SCO, SunOS, and who knows what else... The point is, every computation problem has an appropriate solution. Learn to consider all your options.

Besides... Apple is helping to give away 100,000,000 free songs. Ya gotta cut 'em some slack for being so cool. :)

Cheers

P.S. Mac computers, by the way, shipped with a network interface, as standard equipment, since the 80's. Connecting two computers was as simple as plugging them together with a cable. This is were the usability reputation originated.
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry if i opened an off topic can of worms here haha... but after reading that post, i was admittedly a bit shollow on the mac reply, but i did in fact admit to the fact that it is superior to the i386 systems... and i maintain that, i simply would like to see more software compatibility, and i would like to see mac as the new riening computer, as microshaft burns in a fiery blaze of defeat! that being said, i must close for now since it is time for me to reboot my PC..
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
just not main-stream enough

Although, you do have a point. Some software is hard to find for Mac OS X. In most cases, you can find software for the job but you will have less alternatives. People that like to pirate their software, are frustrated by the lack of other Mac users to copy from.

Pretty much anything you can do with Windows can be done with a Mac, but it will require different software programs. That's were most people think the Mac is extremely low on software... when they're favourite thingy isn't available in a Mac version. Of course, Mac heads are equally upsent when Toast isn't available on Windows so they're forced to use EZ CD Creator.

No operating system should have 90+% of the market share. It is bad for consumers. Here's hoping for Windows 60%, Mac 20% and UNIX/Linux 20%. That would satisfy the power users, represent UNIX with nearly 40% market share, but leave Windows as the leader for the general public.

Nothing wrong with opening a can of worms... this is a discussion forum. :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

one of the guys that does work for me uses a mac and swears
by it. He was a hardcore PC guy, and after buying an iMac, he
became one of those conversion commercials you always see.
kinda funny....

I'm tempted to buy a mac just to work with it and form my own
opinion. But, all-in-all, things like this always come down to 1
thing: preference. Regardless of anything else, it's an idividual
opinion on something like this, and it's a tired discussion frankly.

I hope to see some fresh thoughts here...
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I hope to see some fresh thoughts here...

Agreed. Sorry, the temptation to join the twenty year old argument is too much for me to take. (Already I feel like mentioning the fact that the machine hasn't crashed in several years.) :wink:

Shutting up now!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

From a Pre-OSX aspect, I much prefer the PC (Not Windows, PCs).

I've not used OSX so don't really have an opinion on it yet (although, being based off BSD it can't be too bad, heh).

My only big problem with macs in the past is no right mouse button (wtf was that all about?)

They're nice, they have their place, but the PC (with the right software & hardware) can stand up to any job the mac can do these days.

Macs are still popular because they're idiot-proof. Like rjmthezonenet said. He just plugged in all his stuff, installed the software and it worked right away (not that I'm trying to imply you're an idiot, lol. I've seen the OS list you've had experience with, you're definitely not!).

PCs (mostly due to OS coders) are too difficult for many users to get into, hence Micro$oft's 'prettying up' of Windows in XP - which I personally hate, and actually slows down my productivity. I like the "classic" interface (although, when Win95 was released "classic" was W3.1's Program Manager, hehe).

But, I still say a PC can stand up to any job a Mac can do, if it has the right hardware & software combo. There's just so many manufacturers out there, and they can't test every conceivable combo (and obviously they can't test how their components are going to work with products that haven't been developed yet at the time) that it falls over sometimes.

I like Win2K Pro over any other Micro$oft OS, and even that still has its occasional problems for me. I've been using it 3 or 4 years now, and I've worked most of my problems out. The only thing really that bothers me about 2K is that it doesn't work with my Pinnacle Studio capture card. I have to boot to '98SE to capture. But, the card works in Linux (with an independently developed driver, written with absolutely no reference except having the hardware itself, not an official driver by Pinnacle - Pinnacle were actually dead against it when the developer contacted them, and did everything they could to preven thim from getting info. I guess with the Pinnacle Studio software being only available for Windows - and costing an absolute fortune - they figured they'd lose money if their card worked in Linux) and with that driver it FAR out-performs the Windows gear, but alas no Premiere/Photoshop.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whenever I make software (windoze) I write it so that you can just go and delete the directory without breaking everything.

But for you microsoft/windows-haters out there:
micro$oft
microshaft
microsh*t
windoze
windows XPensive
windows MEssed up (trust me, it really is)

(I could do this all day)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

one of my wife's cousins is a Unix administrator, and his
favorite expression is:

The only thing Microsoft could make that didn't suck, was a vaccuum.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmfao! thats great UNFLUX! :-D
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rj, you left out Microsoft CE ME NT. :wink:
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Something I came across...

Microsoft: Press any key to continue or any other key to quit.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts